Denied 3 times Help! PsyD

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Brett2352

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Here is my problem and I'm hoping somome can provide some good insight or direction about my situation. I've been denied 3 times in a row to the clinical Psychology program at Nova Southeastern University. I live in south Florida so thats my only option for moving forward with my degree. I recieved my BA in Psychology from Florida Atlantic which is a state college and graduated with a 2.9 GPA how ever i had a 3.4 GPA in all my psy courses. The math courses killed my GPA. So figureing my GPA was low i enrolled in a Masters program and recieved my MS in marriage and family therapy with a perfect 4.0 GPA at Nova. I took the GRE and scored a 1000. I also have a lot of clinical experience, now a lisenced therapist, have publications and research, and currently working with proffessors in the program.

I applied the first time, got a interview then was wait listed. The last two times including this year I was denied without an interview.

I'm really trying to figure out what my next move should be. Wheather to take the GRE again, do another maters, or perhaps apply to another school.

My dream has always been to be a psychlogist and I wont give up. i hope some has some good advice on how I can get accepted to a psyD program

Members don't see this ad.

The GRE is definitely very very low, and even a 3.4 in Psych as an undergrad is mediocre at best (2.9 being VERY low) though your grad GPA perhaps mitigates this somewhat.

Limiting yourself to one school is likely the biggest problem here. While some aspects are great (pubs, clinical experience, MS GPA) you definitely have some weak factors. Even with a virtually perfect application it is VERY risky to apply to only one school - the typical amount is 10-15. While Nova isn't the most selective of programs, it is not surprising to me at all that you are struggling to get in applying to one school. If that is your only option then so be it, but recognize that limiting yourself to one location and wanting to get your doctorate are quite frequently going to run counter to one another, and that expecting to have both is not necessarily realistic.

Members don't see this ad :)
The two things that come to mind right away are your letters of rec and your personal statement.

I would have other people (i.e. faculty) review your personal statement and give you feedback. Also, figure out if you can find other individuals that can provide more favorable recommendations. It might also be helpful to see if you can get faculty from the program to address what you can do to strengthen your application.

I would advise you take the GRE again. Most Psy.D. programs want you to be at least in the 1100 range... Nova's mean combined GRE socre in 2010 was around 1200. Also I recommend taking the Psychology GRE, they don't require it, but do recommend it. Applying else where would help you a lot, maybe they just don't think you're a good fit...although but from the sound of it, it seems that you can't or really don't want to. Also, if you haven't, e-mail the faculty that you're most interested in working with there. Introduce yourself and talk about some research they have done that interests you, establish an interest. This is best done a couple of months before the application deadline. That's my two cents. Best to you.

I would suggest contacting someone in the PsyD program, likely the DCT, and asking what you could do to make yourself a more attractive applicant. Also, I know that this is only a forum so it isn't like you have to write professionally, but you have multiple spelling errors in your post and its just a thought that something similar could have happened in your SOP so double check for that because that would be a huge mistake on an application. Not trying to ridicule you by any means, so please don't take it like an insult, just tying to bring potential application negatives to your attention.

Hey Brett,

You mentioned you got killed by your math classes, and that your GRE was 1000.
Keep in mind that doctoral level work includes math (well not real math, but applied math none the less) in the form of statistics. Lots of statistics. It might be worth evaluating if you really need a doctoral degree for your career purposes. You're going to be expected to be well versed in stats, even in so called "non research PsyD" programs. If you can't handle math, then an empirical doctorate may not be the best choice for you. It not saying it isn't, but it's worthy of consideration.

I applied the first time, got a interview then was wait listed. The last two times including this year I was denied without an interview.

Did they encourage you to apply again after you weren't accepted off the wait list? I would say that perhaps they don't consider those who apply again after being rejected, but if you were wait-listed after the interview, they probably liked you.

Applications have gotten competitive since the economy started tanking, within the last few years. You may need to bump that GRE up to be competitive. I agree with others about asking them what you can do to improve your application, especially since you're working with them.

I give you credit for applying so many times--you have guts.

Pretty much what everyone else said, but really retake the GRE. They may be using the GRE as a screener, so anyone below, say 1100 is eliminated from the pool immediately. It is also a good idea to take the Psych GRE given your low UGPA and low (for clinical psy.d) psych GPA. This will show that you know what the weaknesses are in your application and you've taken measures to address those weaknesses. Consider enrolling in some states courses at a local university. If your math courses from UG are low, and your quantitative section of the GRE is low, then Nova might be hesitant to accept you. You really need to focus on why they should accept you over someone else with higher grades and GRE scores, and then highlight that.

Thank you for all reply's and they all confirm what i'v been thinking. I've had my SOP and application reviewed by members of the slection staff so that area was addressed previously. Retaking the GRE and applying to more schools has to my main focus during this year. To comment on one reply in particular, when I was waited listed they did encourage me to apply again. I was informed that if 2 more people declined I would have been offered a spot. So my hopes were high. But it seems there are stroger candidates bc of the economy. Only down fall to retaking the GRE is that it changed and I have no clue and neither does Nova what a good score is.

This might be a stupid question, but if you are a licensed therapist what is getting a psyd going to accomplish for you?

I am not saying this might be the case, but it has to be odd for clinicians to train someone who is already licensed and can technically practice without supervision. I have heard of some students being ornery and unwilling to "be" supervised.

Only down fall to retaking the GRE is that it changed and I have no clue and neither does Nova what a good score is.

I'm confused. Why would the GRE change prevent you from taking it again? You can still improve your score without having a specific goal in mind. And unless Nova plans to stop admitting students entirely, they're going to have to figure out the new scoring system very quickly. I agree that retaking the test is a good start, since that's one thing that you can change.

This might be a stupid question, but if you are a licensed therapist what is getting a psyd going to accomplish for you?

I am not saying this might be the case, but it has to be odd for clinicians to train someone who is already licensed and can technically practice without supervision. I have heard of some students being ornery and unwilling to "be" supervised.

When masters-licensed therapists go back for their PsyD, usually it's to have options for teaching and testing, or to specialize in a specific area that doctoral-level training provides.

Members don't see this ad :)
Only down fall to retaking the GRE is that it changed and I have no clue and neither does Nova what a good score is.

This isn't really true. It just means that for a while, instead of quoting scores, it'll be important to quote percentile. While it's true that a school that used to know the difference between 600 and 700 won't know the difference between 150 and 160 for a few years, they will definitely still know the difference between 50th percentile and 85th percentile.

My dream has always been to be a psychlogist and I wont give up. i hope some has some good advice on how I can get accepted to a psyD program

Well you need to come up with a different plan... because doing the same thing over and over again with the same result should be sending a very clear message by now.

Normally from my experience in graduate school applications that if you get denied the first time it is very or extremely unlikely that you would ever get into that program. Much more than GRE, GPA, and academic performance is evaluated in graduate school selection procedures. For doctoral programs there seems to be an attitude present about accepting students who already have an MS degree and they don't consider this in their admission process. It seems that they prefer students with BS degree over older students with an MS degree. They seem to have an attitude that a MMFT is distinctly different then a doctoral degree in clinical psychology. I am not saying I agree with this attitude, but why keep on trying to ride a dead horse. Move on and apply to other programs in either MFT or clinical psychology. I've known individuals who have doctoral degree in MFT that are working in hospital settings with clinical psychologist and making as much or more money and having as much prestige or responsibility as the doctoral level clinical psychologist.

There is no shame in having a MMFT as your employablility with the degree is probably better than the competition for jobs as a licensed clinical psychologists.

Last edited:
Normally from my experience in graduate school applications that if you get denied the first time it is very or extremely unlikely that you would ever get into that program. Much more than GRE, GPA, and academic performance is evaluated in graduate school selection procedures. For doctoral programs there seems to be an attitude present about accepting students who already have an MS degree and they don't consider this in their admission process. It seems that they prefer students with BS degree over older students with an MS degree. They seem to have an attitude that a MMFT is distinctly different then a doctoral degree in clinical psychology. I am not saying I agree with this attitude, but why keep on trying to ride a dead horse. Move on and apply to other programs in either MFT or clinical psychology. I've known individuals who have doctoral degree in MFT that are working in hospital settings with clinical psychologist and making as much or more money and having as much prestige or responsibility as the doctoral level clinical psychologist.

There is no shame in having a MMFT as your employablility with the degree is probably better than the competition for jobs as a licensed clinical psychologists.

To address these two points: 1) at least with respect to my program, and based on what many/most people say on here, this generally is not the case. Quite the opposite, actually--individuals with master's degrees frequently gain admission to clinical psych programs based on their improved credentials (e.g., more research experience, proof of being able to maintain a solid GPA with grad-level coursework, etc.). It can vary from program to program, of course, but there definitely isn't a nationwide bias against individuals with master's degrees.

2) Having a MMFT could certainly open solid career opportunities, but I wouldn't say they're "better" than those available via a clinical psych PhD or PsyD. If you're looking to ONLY provide psychotherapy in a large medical/managed-care setting, then yes, the MMFT/LSW/etc. will get you there in less time than the doctorate. But plenty of doctoral-level psychologists do quite well in private practice as their modal source of income. The difference comes in the flexibility afforded by the doctoral degree, which not only allots more assessment opportunities, but generally opens up more in the administrative, training, and program development fronts (in addition to research).

I'd advise you to brush up on your writing skills as well. I'm not sure if you wrote this in a hurry or in a state of emotional distress, but I see many mistakes in the post. Last thing you want is your grammatical errors ruining your personal statement.

Here is my problem and I'm hoping somome can provide some good insight or direction about my situation. I've been denied 3 times in a row to the clinical Psychology program at Nova Southeastern University. I live in south Florida so thats my only option for moving forward with my degree. I recieved my BA in Psychology from Florida Atlantic which is a state college and graduated with a 2.9 GPA how ever i had a 3.4 GPA in all my psy courses. The math courses killed my GPA. So figureing my GPA was low i enrolled in a Masters program and recieved my MS in marriage and family therapy with a perfect 4.0 GPA at Nova. I took the GRE and scored a 1000. I also have a lot of clinical experience, now a lisenced therapist, have publications and research, and currently working with proffessors in the program.

I'm really trying to figure out what my next move should be. Wheather to take the GRE again, do another maters, or perhaps apply to another school.

Your persistence is commendable but sometimes a dream is just a dream. There are so many other, wonderful ways to make a difference and help others and I think given the combination of your academic record and desire to do good, there should be a more practical way for you to do so.

Thanks again for posting i'm shocked I've received so many reply's. After speaking to professors in the program and other students my plan is to retake the GRE, take the Subject test, and apply to more schools. With a strong showing from the first two i'm confident I will earn a spot in a PsyD program somewhere.

One thing that did disturb me was two of the posters negativiy. If it took me 50 years i would continue to try to reach my goal. Certainly you wouldnt give up so easily on your own personal dreams. But thank you to everyone else who gave me constructive criticism and insight. I'll check in next year with hopefully better news.

Thanks again for posting i'm shocked I've received so many reply's. After speaking to professors in the program and other students my plan is to retake the GRE, take the Subject test, and apply to more schools. With a strong showing from the first two i'm confident I will earn a spot in a PsyD program somewhere.

One thing that did disturb me was two of the posters negativiy. If it took me 50 years i would continue to try to reach my goal. Certainly you wouldnt give up so easily on your own personal dreams. But thank you to everyone else who gave me constructive criticism and insight. I'll check in next year with hopefully better news.

Be careful of confusing "negativity" with what may actually be reality.

Be careful of confusing "negativity" with what may actually be reality.

Yeah, sometimes "giving up on a dream" can be a sign of strength which leads you to a place where you can do more with your life. It certainly was for me, back in the day. Lame how our culture promotes the pursuit of dreams at the expense of all sense. But, you know, each individual must come to this individually--usually, during their midlife crisis.

When you get older (and have a family to support) pragmatics will trump "dreams" everytime.

Last edited:
All this talk about dreams got me thinking about a little show called, "You can do anything!"

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gSjLiQxEZlM

But seriously, there are ways to provide much needed help and therapy without a PhD or PsyD. For example, I volunteered as a grief counselor for a few years and it was a truly rewarding experience.

I will echo the words of others - your GRE is way too low. You need another 200 points, at least.