Denied a Walgreens Scholarship

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

chibipinkbunny

Full Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
So has anyone out there been denied a Walgreens scholarship? I was denied, and so I was just wondering if I was the only one out there. It seemed almost like a joke at first. At all of the pharmacy intern meetings they were ramming the whole scholarship thing down our throats. No one ever mentioned anything about the fact that not everyone is good enough for one. I guess I'm ranting because I was actually sincere about Walgreens. My pharmacy supervisor told me that my pharmacy manager liked me a lot, but the head of loss prevention, and two other Walgreen's upper level managers thought I was disinterested in the company. I live in California, and they had this thing called the Walgreens Pharmacy Internship Program. We would go on field trips to experience different aspects of the company. For example, one day we listened to a 3.5 hour lecture on loss prevention. Another day we took inventory of items in the Walgreens store. It's funny because at the time I felt that the inventory manager (proper title?) had something against me. I did just as good of a job as everyone else, and I took extra special care to make sure the lists were accurate, and that each item was in its proper place. I came early and stayed later than everyone else. Anyway I was really upset when my pharmacy supervisor told me I was denied due to bad reviews from these three managers (Note: they were not involved with the pharmacy. One was in charge of loss prevention, another inventory, and another was manger of all store managers in our district). Despite the fact that my pharmacy manager really liked me she said that there were a limited amount of scholarships and that not everyone would get one. She wouldn't tell me how many other people were denied, which leads me to believe that I may be one of the only people denied. I'm not upset about the money, but I'm upset about the fact that I actually cared for this company. Anyone else have any experience in this matter?
 
I have no experience with American companies, but what a joke if you're actually doing front-store inventory as a pharmacy student in front of loss prevention managers and front store managers?

Is this company a complete joke? Why would you be disappointed; be excited that this gives you a reason to get out of that backward company.

Don't be paranoid about how many others didn't get one, or get hung up on it. Your best bet is to completely move on from that situation.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
That's the first I've heard. Walgreens or CVS or any big chain is always trying to get us to sign up for the scholarship because that means we'd have to work for them after we graduate. The money they're trying to give me is not even enough to pay for my books (which I don't really buy any, so I guess it doesn't matter). It's not worth it to sign your soul away for a few thousands. I guess the shortage is coming to an end, so they don't care about giving you that money.
 
It's only $5,000. It's good for some, who are sure they want to work for them, but that's really chump-change these days. Look on the bright side: at least your indebted to no one. It may have been the best thing that could happen to you- to allow you to consider all your options. Surely Walgreens would take you once you have your Pharm.D and license. And you'll make that $5,000 in two weeks...

The problem with retail, is so much of it depends on your superiors liking you or not...
 
Screw there scholarship..These companies just dont give a damn about you or that $5000 scholarship. Thses huge companies will bite your head off, chew it up and spit it back out. If I were you, take a job with them, work your butt off, save your money, and in a matter of 3 years, venture out on your own. Find a niche, service your customers and you will be fine. That will make that $5000 scholarship money look like nothing at all. Am I bitter? Yeah, a bit. Im getting out soon. very soon. 🙄 Good luck to you...
 
I don't like that company either, but the scholarship is not a bad idea if you're short on money. It has 8% interest rate that starts to accumulate after the date you're supposed to start working for them, so it's kinda like a loan. If you got all federal loans you could and don't wanna get a private loan for a few bucks, then it's a good idea. Otherwise is not worth it.