Dental Assistant Classes count toward Science GPA?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

SkinnyT

UNE CDM 25', UCONN 12' B.S., RDH,
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey fellas, So I applied this cycle, but I am still waiting to hear from any schools, HOWEVER, because of not so good DAT and GPA i feel like I will probably be reapplying next cycle. That being said, I decided to take this off-year and get certified in Dental Assistant, which means I will be taking DA classes for about 8-9 months. My question is, will these classes count toward my science GPA for when I reapply next year? :confused:

Thanks in advance!

Members don't see this ad.

Hey fellas, So I applied this cycle, but I am still waiting to hear from any schools, HOWEVER, because of not so good DAT and GPA i feel like I will probably be reapplying next cycle. That being said, I decided to take this off-year and get certified in Dental Assistant, which means I will be taking DA classes for about 8-9 months. My question is, will these classes count toward my science GPA for when I reapply next year? :confused:

Thanks in advance!

I hope you are not becoming a DA purely for admission purposes. It would be much more advantages to improve on your " not so good DAT AND GPA".

Right. I was actually considering DH, but knowing that my long term goal is to become a dentist, I figured I could get started as a DA, in case dental school does not work next year again. I just wanted to know though, say I get a 4.0 on my DA program, how would AADSAS incorporate that kind of course work into my GPAs? Would it improve any of my GPAs?

Members don't see this ad :)
It will probably count towards your science GPA, but it would look better if you took classes in BCP. It'll look better. I don't think it's the best idea to get certified as a DA if you get in this cycle. You would be spending a lot of money on classes for certification, and you probably won't get a lot of experience as a DA because then you would be going into dental school shorting after you get certified. I recommend taking science courses at a four-year institution. Either way, good luck with your decision. Though, you should consider retaking your DAT rather than being a DA. You save a lot of money.

http://www.adea.org/dental_educatio...ocuments/2011 ADEA AADSAS Course Subjects.pdf

my guess would be no. it's technical training more than science

All of my DA credits counted as other science.

Sent from my ADR6400L using SDN Mobile