Dental assistant

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

OLDwood

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
What aspect of dental assisting will help a dentist wannabe do well during dental school clinicals?

manual dexterity? familiarity with instruments and procedure? Radiology and pathology?

I'm curious because I will apply in 2010 and I will start dental assisting part-time this year.

Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

Dental assisting (for me) is very very boring. But it will help expose you to some of the procedures, getting familiar with taking impressions, xrays...and that's abou it. Unless you know what the dentist is doing and why he's doing what with each instrument, it'll mean absoultely jack to you. All in all, dental schools probably look favorably on dental assisting experience, but try not to fall asleep suctioning.

Dental assisting (for me) is very very boring. But it will help expose you to some of the procedures, getting familiar with taking impressions, xrays...and that's abou it. Unless you know what the dentist is doing and why he's doing what with each instrument, it'll mean absoultely jack to you. All in all, dental schools probably look favorably on dental assisting experience, but try not to fall asleep suctioning.

The dental assisting book I'm reading actually explains why and how certain instruments are used.

Members don't see this ad :)
The dental assisting book I'm reading actually explains why and how certain instruments are used.

Which book is this? I'm working as an assistant now and had a hard time finding any literature about it. I learned basically by doing, not reading.

Anyways, the interesting part isn't what you're doing, it's what the dentist is doing. You get to actually get in the mouth, and learn all the terminology, instruments, steps, etc. I ask the dentist a million questions while he works and I get to work on my dexterity too. I enjoy it, but maybe I'm a little weird.

Actually I worked as a dental assistant for two years before getting accepted this fall to dental school GREATEST thing I have ever done. Sure suctioning isn't all fun, but if you have some vision it can be very preparatory. This is the whole point, ask a lot of questions when appropriate and learn the WHY, of what the dentist is doing. You can gain great perspectives and have a problem based view of what is occurring. You will be steps ahead in some areas when admitted already having a dental perspective of diagnosis. Good luck.

I was debating over whether to actually use my engineering degree and get a well paying job, or forgo the income and go for the experience by working as a dental assistant. I chose to work as a dental assistant and I think now that that was the right decision. I've learned so much just by... yes... sitting there suctioning. :rolleyes:

I think it depends on where you work, but as a pediatric dental assistant, I've learned a LOT. I am even starting to learn how to apply sealants! I think this experience is going to help me a LOT in dental school. :D

Downside is that I don't really know what all the instruments are called. I only know most of them by their pediatric nicknames... such as "raincoat" for rubber dam. I have a feeling I'm going to go to dental school and embarrass myself... :laugh:

Downside is that I don't really know what all the instruments are called. I only know most of them by their pediatric nicknames... such as "raincoat" for rubber dam. I have a feeling I'm going to go to dental school and embarrass myself... :laugh:

Oh me too! Our suction's name is Mr. Thirsty.

Oh ya!
and your high speed is Mr. Whistle and your low speed is Mr. Rumble!