Dental Assisting

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Tyler M

sandcalf
7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm thinking of going through a dental assisting course to be a dental assistant for a few reasons: I just want to, as they say, get my hands in someone's mouth already, and I would think that it would look good as an applicant to have that experience. So I guess my question is if this is something dental schools would like to see or if it is not even worth the trouble? Also, does that count as shadowing hours? That's all

Members don't see this ad.

You paying for it? Why pay for something that is free? Most of those assisting schools are scams anyways. Every dentist has a different way of doing things for their assistants, making whatever you learned in assisting school useless. All you need to do in most states is take an xray course and get the xray certificate, apply for assisting job, and that dental office trains you for that particular office.

Work for free at a local clinic to get experience if you cant find an entry level assisting job.

Working at dental technician might be more helpful for D2 year than dental assisting.

Last edited:
No way should you pay for a course. I'm sure the office that you shadow at will let you once you've been there a while as long as you don't act like a *****.

Members don't see this ad :)
I took an online course that is approved by the SBDE (State Board of Dental Examiners) for $60 and got RDA certified. I was lucky enough to find a dentist who was willing to train me. :) I think working as a dental assistant really helped because I got 3 interviews this round.

Oh, that's all really good to know, thanks! Is this something that dental schools would like to see though? And does it count for shadowing hours?

I took an online course that is approved by the SBDE (State Board of Dental Examiners) for $60 and got RDA certified. I was lucky enough to find a dentist who was willing to train me. :) I think working as a dental assistant really helped because I got 3 interviews this round.
That's awesome! What was this course that you did? And where could I find it?

I'm thinking of going through a dental assisting course to be a dental assistant for a few reasons: I just want to, as they say, get my hands in someone's mouth already, and I would think that it would look good as an applicant to have that experience. So I guess my question is if this is something dental schools would like to see or if it is not even worth the trouble? Also, does that count as shadowing hours? That's all
Do not pay for a school. Almost any dentist you approach would be more than happy to help you gain experience. They probably received help while applying to dental school and many would love the opportunity to continue the tradition of helping pre-dents achieve their goals. If you cannot find someone to hire you with no experience there are other options. Find a dentist to shadow offer to help out as much as possible. If you learn to do something new each day, exhibit a strong work ethic, and a desire to learn the dentist will want to hire you or will recommend you to a colleague who has an open position. I highly recommend going above and beyond the required shadowing experience. Not only does it show the admissions committee you are fully committed to dentistry I have talked to graduates who assisted prior to school and that experience gave them an advantage over their fellow students with less experience.

Sure you can count assisting towards shadowing, they are really viewed the same. I'd say most applicants put on their resume that they have assisted, whether it was 5 min holding the saliva ejector or actually packing cord and making temporary crowns.
Saying that you have assisted (or even that you are RDA) stands out as much as being a member of a predent club.

Do yourself a favor and invest the time and money in DAT prep material to score higher or another upper division science class at your university or research or dental related community service... Advice to the contrary I'm afraid is worth about as much as the spit you'll be suctioning as an assistant.

Sure I assisted for majority of my shadowing hours. I translated Spanish at a nonprofit community dental clinic so many of those hours counted as service and shadowing. Did about 120 hrs and I was done. After I got accepted and graduated I got a job ortho assisting (more interesting to assist) for those 8 months before DS. In texas I wasn't required to get my RDA or radiology permit to work for that short period of time.

You do not need to through a course to become a dental assistant. I work as a dental assistant and I got all of my training at my clinic. Before that, I knew nothing about dentistry. Any dental office would gladly train you if you are a quick learner and later hire you as an assistant!

I am a dental student from India and i applied in few universities in USA after passing Part 1, but rejection. I want to make my resume more strong and want to work as Dental Assistant. Very shocking for me that i went to two dental clinics and dentists refused me to observe them and their assistants as volunteer. I dont know why....Anyways their wish. Now i want to appear in Dental assistant exam (NDAEB). I was looking for evaluation services. So, i just want to make sure one thing about evaluation of transcripts. ICES/WES asks for official documents that has to send by institution. Its bit confusing ,why we need to contact our graduated college to them our details marks card and degree originals. If i am wrong please correct me. Any additional information and steps for transcripts evaluation guidance will be helpful. Thanks.

What state are you in? I'm in CA and virtually no dentists hear will hire you unless you have x-ray and coronal polish certs.

I am a dental student from India and i applied in few universities in USA after passing Part 1, but rejection. I want to make my resume more strong and want to work as Dental Assistant. Very shocking for me that i went to two dental clinics and dentists refused me to observe them and their assistants as volunteer. I dont know why....Anyways their wish. Now i want to appear in Dental assistant exam (NDAEB). I was looking for evaluation services. So, i just want to make sure one thing about evaluation of transcripts. ICES/WES asks for official documents that has to send by institution. Its bit confusing ,why we need to contact our graduated college to them our details marks card and degree originals. If i am wrong please correct me. Any additional information and steps for transcripts evaluation guidance will be helpful. Thanks.
Maybe it's your English. I read that message twice and couldn't really understand what you're saying

Maybe it's your English. I read that message twice and couldn't really understand what you're saying
Someone else was also in same situation and she understood what i said. It happens when u dont know what to do and when there is nobody to help u. People even dont know how to express themselves in such situations. The only thing i wanted to know about transcript evaluation in Canada for NDAEB.

That's awesome! What was this course that you did? And where could I find it?
What state are you in? I'm in CA and virtually no dentists hear will hire you unless you have x-ray and coronal polish certs.

I live in Texas. I believe an RDA certification is the only requirement to get hired. Other certifications are optional. I take X-rays at my current office. "You are permitted to make x-rays in Texas for one year from the first day of being hired as a dental assistant under the direct supervision of a dentist."
Here's a link to the course: http://icourses.uthscsa.edu/courses/DAregistration/preview.html

I would try other dentists. In my experience they actually enjoy having a student follow them. Just keep looking you will find a dentist who would be happy to have you. Also try calling the local dental school and see if they can recommend someone.

Thanks for all your help! I went and talked to one of my friend's dad and he told me without hesitation that he would be glad to train me. You guys just saved me a bunch of money, thanks!

Dental assisting in Cali without x-ray or other certificates would be illegal.

Dental assisting in Cali without x-ray or other certificates would be illegal.
What you are trying to say is that a dental assistant "must be state certified in radiography to legally operate dental x-ray equipment and perform dental radiographic procedures", but does not preclude performing other functions of a DA.