Dental Associate/Partnership?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

checkamundo

Don't know what i'm doing
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I understand that most associates are either paid on production or are salaried employees. What exactly happens when someone goes about to become a partner at an existing practice? Do you end up paying a certain amount to existing partners to buy-in to the practice? If you do something like this, do you make a certain percentage of whatever that practice makes for every following year? They don't split the profits evenly, do they? I would imagine that for someone who started their own practice and had been running it for a few years wouldn't want to simply give up a large percentage of that practice to someone who wasn't involved with starting it up. I'm sorry if these questions seem ridiculous, I'm just a little confused.

Members don't see this ad.

Does anybody have any ideas?

checkamundo said:
Does anybody have any ideas?

There are a lot of different ways to set up a buy in and a lot of brokers out there that will help you through this when the time comes.

Probably the simplest and one of the most common methods I have seen is where the young doc buying in agrees to associate for a time (usually a year). After this trial period, the associate and owner decide if this is a partnership that can work. The value of the practice is established at this point.

From this point there are a few ways of proceeding. If the associate can come up with the funds, he buys into the practice outright paying 50% of the practice value. If he can't come up with the money, there are other ways of structuring the buy-in over a few years with the associate gaining equity in the practice by helping it to grow.

Once the partnership is established the easiest way to determine compensation is for each doc to take a monthly draw that is comfortable for him but significantly below what he will be taking home at the end of the year. All other profit is placed in a holding account. At the end of the year each doctor's lab fees are deducted from his collections and this figure is used to determine the percentage each doc contributed to office profit. The funds in the holding account are then split according to this percentage (taking into account the amount each doctor drew over the year.)

The split can also be done monthly or quarterly but that just seems like too much trouble if the office is at all profitable and the docs are taking home a decent draw each month. It is very important that the monthly draws be LESS than what was earned so that nobody has to pay back at the end of the year.

That's kind of the quick and dirty. Hope it helped some.

Members don't see this ad :)
checkamundo said:
I would imagine that for someone who started their own practice and had been running it for a few years wouldn't want to simply give up a large percentage of that practice to someone who wasn't involved with starting it up. I'm sorry if these questions seem ridiculous, I'm just a little confused.

Actually, there are a lot of good reasons for a doctor 10 or 15 years from retirement to sell part of his practice. It allows him to get value out of his practice while it is at top profitability. With a partner he can now afford to slowdown without a loss of value in the practice. In fact, with a new young partner the practice is probably going to increase in value.

Most single owner docs lose a lot of value in their practice in the few years before retirement, but by structuring his practice sale this way the older doc (who may be hardly working in the practice at the end) still owns a 50% share in a thriving, profitable practice.

It's a win-win for everybody.

Here's how my partnership agreement works.

My partner and I basically look at the income generation of the practice as three independent sources, mine, his, and our hygenists. Our practice is what is termed a Limited Liability Corporation (LLC), and myself, my partners, and all of our staff are employees of this corporation. Being a LLC as it name implies limits out own personal financial liability in specific instances, plus it affords us certain other tax advanatges. My partner and I are equal partners(and the only members) in our LLC's board of directors.

What we do is receive a weekly paycheck from our corporation. Quarterly we take a look at our 3 profit sources. We determine who pays what percentage of the overhead based on our own personal productions over that quarter, so basically put, if i took a 2 week vacation last quarter and my partner took no time off and between our doctors total production he did 60% of the work and I did 40% of the work, then he pays 60% of the overhead(hygenists salaries excluded) and I pay 40%. We then divide out the quarterly profits from collections between us on the same percentage as overhead from that quarter.

We then look at the hygiene collections from that quarter, subtract their overhead (salaries, benefits, supplies, etc), and then split the remaining profit 50/50. We do have wording in our agreement, that if one partner produces much more than the other partner in that quarter(more than 2/3rds of the production), that the hygiene split will be based on the same percentage as the dentist production split.

My buy-in is financed via my hygiene income, so what happens is that after we split the hygiene profits, I then defer a portion of my hygiene income to my partner until I have completely paid off our negotiated buy in price. In doing this version of internal finacing, I am able to buy my percentage of the practice without a bank loan, since my partner is basically asking as the bank(and yes my buy in price does included interest).

I could have also gone down to the bank and taken out a business loan and paid my partner 1 lump sum and then paid the bank back over the same amount of time that I'm paying back my partner, but after looking at the deal from all angles and talking with not only tax attorneys, but accountants and practice transition attorneys, it made the most amount of financial sense for my partner and I do finance the deal internally.

What you'll find is that there are literally hundreds of ways to do a buy-in, and what is often the largest part of the buy-in agreement isn't the buy-in portion, but what happens down the road in a buy-out situation. I.E. a partner dies, or a "dental divorce"(partners split) happens, or a partner retires, etc.

Reactions: 1 users
thanks for the post, its cool to hear how someone is actually doing it

Reactions: 1 user
superchris147 said:
thanks for the post, its cool to hear how someone is actually doing it

where do recent about to gradudate DDS start looking for jobs besides dentaltown or jada classifieds?

anyone from california know how to find associate jobs?

also, which dental placement services are available in SoCAL?

The best way to get a job is to go around to all the dentists you know and don't know and ask if they need somone to work for them or know of anybody who may. It's all about networking.

where do recent about to gradudate DDS start looking for jobs besides dentaltown or jada classifieds?

anyone from california know how to find associate jobs?

also, which dental placement services are available in SoCAL?

I reccomend networking with dentists and dental professionals. Look to the local chamber of commerce because there are usually a few dentists. Also you can reach out to dental professionals like attorneys who do dental transactions, dental CPA's, dental bankers, dental supply reps. They will be happy to talk to you because they are looking to built relationships with new dentists. In addition, they work with dentists all day long so they may know of one who is looking for help. Hope that helps some.

bravo on bumping a 10 year old thread. True talent right there.