NY GPR vs. Associate Dentist

princecoup

5+ Year Member
Jul 18, 2015
  1. Dental Student
Hi,

I apologize in advance if I'm posting in the wrong forum, but I just finished my 1st year of dental school in New York.
I have a few questions about life after dental school with regard to GPR's and working right after graduation:

1) I know that New York state requires that you complete a GPR if you plan on working, but could I work at a private practice in another state (like NJ or CT) and then later come back to work in NY without having done a GPR? Does work/experience as an associate dentist replace, or effectively substitute, the need for a 1-year GPR?

2) How competitive is it to join a GPR program? Is there a GPA requirement? Extracurriculars?

3) Do you recommend doing a GPR? If so, why?

For now, I'm interested in pursuing a career in general dentistry.

I hope I can gain some insight into my questions.
Thank you so much!

B0wMNj

5+ Year Member
May 19, 2014
  1. Pre-Dental
1. You could but one year in private practice doesn't equal 1 year in GPR/AEGD. So you could go to NJ/CT, but you would have to work there for 3-5 years I think (I don't remember the exact number for some reason I feel like its 5 though) before you can get NY license. Makes absolutely no sense, but thats the case.

2. Getting into any GPR isn't that hard if you just want to fulfill the requirement, you'll find one no matter what your GPA/extracurriculars. Finding one that is good is a little harder, especially in the NYC area. Most of them aren't that great, and the good ones tend to be selective.

3) I would recommend doing a GPR especially if you can find a good one because it will give you an extra year where you can focus on more complex cases if your program provides this. You can do this in a supervised setting which is better than going at stuff with very little experience on your own. You can really advance your training at a good GPR, because you will find out very quickly dental school teaches you the bare minimum just to get you licensed.

I would recommend you to keep your grades as high as they can be even if you are going to be a general dentist. Learn the material well, it'll serve as a good backbone to build off of. Plus if you decide to specialize late, this will be helpful. Don't limit yourself in any way.

Reactions: 1 user

mmc12

2+ Year Member
Oct 26, 2016
  1. Dentist
I’d recommend you do a GPR as well. In an ideal world, it would be best if you could go to a private practice and find a dentist who could mentor you and help you out if you are stuck. However, there are very few owner dentists who will actually take time off their schedule (and production) to show you or bail you out if you mess up. In a GPR, if you mess up, there is always an attending to supervise you. In the real world, if you mess up, you could screwed/sued. It’s your dental license, after all... (not the owner’s)

Good GPRs will also allow you to dabble in more advanced procedures (implants, ortho)

The major distinction between the AEGD and GPR programs is the emphasis that the AEGD program places on clinical dentistry in contrast to the emphasis on medical management in the GPR program.

Dental associates are non-owner dentists who work in a dental practice. There are usually two compensation arrangements offered to associates: Employee of the practice. Independent contractor.

About the Ads
This thread is more than 1 year old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. Your new thread title is very short, and likely is unhelpful.
  2. Your reply is very short and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  3. Your reply is very long and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  4. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
  5. Your message is mostly quotes or spoilers.
  6. Your reply has occurred very quickly after a previous reply and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  7. This thread is locked.