Dental Experience Requirement

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Andrew324

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Does anyone have a list of the requirements for each Dental school of the required Dental Experience? I have seen this list posted on the forums before and tried to find it but have failed.

Some require 20 hours, some 40 and some more, does anyone have this list or a link specifially to it?

Members don't see this ad.

Now I noticed some of the schools had 100 hours.... If I applied to these schools and dont have 100 hours are they going to reject me right away?

Members don't see this ad :)
Now I noticed some of the schools had 100 hours.... If I applied to these schools and dont have 100 hours are they going to reject me right away?

Yes I was wondering this also.

On Washington the 100min is 100 hours minimum? I could not find this on there website anywhere.

Do these hours need to be completed before the application is turned in? or Before we enter Dental School?

Yes I was wondering this also.

On Washington the 100min is 100 hours minimum? I could not find this on there website anywhere.

No you will not necessarily be rejected, however if you have the same DAT score, similar GPA and someone else has more experience they will be ranked above you. The reason that there is a required amount of hours is so that you can decide if you like the field. Schools are not looking for individuals that are going in to dentistry for the money obviously. From talking with a relative that is in admissions at a dental school, observation hours are required to see if you even like the field. I have worked in dentistry for 6-7 years, and there are many stressful occasions that may turn some people off of dentistry. You wonder why dentists have the highest divorce and suicide rates, because they are stressed and no one likes them. That is the truth. You have to decide if you can handle that stress, and automatic fear instilled by the dentistry.

No you will not necessarily be rejected, however if you have the same DAT score, similar GPA and someone else has more experience they will be ranked above you. The reason that there is a required amount of hours is so that you can decide if you like the field. Schools are not looking for individuals that are going in to dentistry for the money obviously. From talking with a relative that is in admissions at a dental school, observation hours are required to see if you even like the field. I have worked in dentistry for 6-7 years, and there are many stressful occasions that may turn some people off of dentistry. You wonder why dentists have the highest divorce and suicide rates, because they are stressed and no one likes them. That is the truth. You have to decide if you can handle that stress, and automatic fear instilled by the dentistry.

"You wonder why dentists have the highest divorce and suicide rates, because they are stressed and no one likes them."
Sir, that is the myth

"You wonder why dentists have the highest divorce and suicide rates, because they are stressed and no one likes them."
Sir, that is the myth

I second that

Sir, that is the myth

No, he's right. 96% of dentist with 43% or greater work hours per total hours worked per week ratio commit suicide 19% of the time, compared to the 7% by normal middle aged workers who work at least 64% of the normal work hours of a healthy man. Of course, of this 19%, 77% are unsuccessful the first time around, which leads to about 50% of that 77% returning to work 89% of the time. The only certainty though is that 100% of these dentists will die someday.

No, he's right. 96% of dentist with 43% or greater work hours per total hours worked per week ratio commit suicide 19% of the time, compared to the 7% by normal middle aged workers who work at least 64% of the normal work hours of a healthy man. Of course, of this 19%, 77% are unsuccessful the first time around, which leads to about 50% of that 77% returning to work 89% of the time. The only certainty though is that 100% of these dentists will die someday.
Citation please :confused:. Where did you get this information? Also, what in the world does "43% or greater work hours per total hours worked per week ratio" mean?

Loma Linda requires 20 hours, 10 from a general practitioner. They also require a signed verification form.