1. Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, be sure to check out How To Get Into Dental School, our free downloadable PDF with step-by-step details for dental school applicants!
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Dismiss Notice
  4. Download free Tapatalk for iPhone or Tapatalk for Android for your phone and follow the SDN forums with push notifications.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Visit Interview Feedback to view and submit interview information.

Dental Experience

Discussion in 'Pre-Dental' started by rcwha, May 28, 2008.

1. rcwha

2+ Year Member

Hi,

I don't have any dental experience as far a shadowing a dentist is concerned. I've logged in many hours as a volunteer at various dental clinics, but that isn't really considered shadowing is it?
    However, I do plan to shadow a dentist during my year off, but I don't know if I should leave the "Dental Experience" section on AADSAS blank. Should I say that I've shadowed a Dentist when I haven't YET. Or should I say that I plan on shadowing a dentist?

What should I do?

Thanks in advance :)

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. blankguy

7+ Year Member

Dental Student
    Volunteering is fine. It is in someways better than observing. All the schools want is dental related experience, can be shadowing, volunteering or something else.

4. rcwha

2+ Year Member

So you don't think it will look bad if I leave that section empty? But I am going to be shadowing a dentist during the fall, but by that time ill be done with my application. Should I at least mention it?

5. thebozz1975

5+ Year Member

Put it in both if you're concerned. Shadowing is a general term for any dental observation. Volunteer and paid work are both better than just watching.

6. DRHOYA

2+ Year Member

Pre-Dental
    So you volunteered at a dental clinic. Ok. What exactly did you do there, because you must have been in and around the area when procedures were being performed? Shadowing is basicaly refers to observing, not neccessarily interacting. Volunteering may constitute a little of both. Ex: You watch a crown-prep, but then you help out the assistant with sterilization or communicate with patients (ie. volunteering). One thing is for sure, I would not leave "dentistry experience" blank..........YOUR APPLYING TO DENTAL SCHOOL!!!!! IMHO, I would like favorable at an applicant with a 3.5 and tons of dental experience vs. a 4.0 with no experience at all. Step-back and look at what you actually did during your experience, and note it accordingly.