Dental Experience

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

rcwha

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi,

I don't have any dental experience as far a shadowing a dentist is concerned. I've logged in many hours as a volunteer at various dental clinics, but that isn't really considered shadowing is it?
However, I do plan to shadow a dentist during my year off, but I don't know if I should leave the "Dental Experience" section on AADSAS blank. Should I say that I've shadowed a Dentist when I haven't YET. Or should I say that I plan on shadowing a dentist?

What should I do?

Thanks in advance :)

Members don't see this ad.

Volunteering is fine. It is in someways better than observing. All the schools want is dental related experience, can be shadowing, volunteering or something else.

So you don't think it will look bad if I leave that section empty? But I am going to be shadowing a dentist during the fall, but by that time ill be done with my application. Should I at least mention it?

Volunteering is fine. It is in someways better than observing. All the schools want is dental related experience, can be shadowing, volunteering or something else.

Members don't see this ad :)
Put it in both if you're concerned. Shadowing is a general term for any dental observation. Volunteer and paid work are both better than just watching.

So you volunteered at a dental clinic. Ok. What exactly did you do there, because you must have been in and around the area when procedures were being performed? Shadowing is basicaly refers to observing, not neccessarily interacting. Volunteering may constitute a little of both. Ex: You watch a crown-prep, but then you help out the assistant with sterilization or communicate with patients (ie. volunteering). One thing is for sure, I would not leave "dentistry experience" blank..........YOUR APPLYING TO DENTAL SCHOOL!!!!! IMHO, I would like favorable at an applicant with a 3.5 and tons of dental experience vs. a 4.0 with no experience at all. Step-back and look at what you actually did during your experience, and note it accordingly.