Dental Fraternities?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Fido00

Longtime Lurker
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Is there any benefit to joining a Dental Fraternity? I was not in a fraternity in undergrad, but I am sure that these are not the same type of groups, at least I hope not.

I still keep getting this mental image of Animal House with a drill!

Members don't see this ad.

Thanks for the pity post! And the information.

Members don't see this ad :)
I was Psi Omega and it was of no benefit. I thought there would be fraternity fun, but was mistaken. There was supposed to be a national board old exams for us, but everyone in school got them. There was no fraternal order of hlping your brothers and sisters. It was $500 down the drain.

After dental school I have never been able to find any involvemnt with Psi Omega alumni.

Join it if there is frat parties and fun in your area otherwise don't bother.

There's plenty of benefits. . . if you like heavy girls.

or free pizza.... that isnt really free since you pay dues.....

Delta Sigma Delta (I think) is the one on campus. It's pretty much only a social organization for hanging out and partying with other people in the classes. I would have joined but I didn't think $400 a semester for dues was worth the beer and free admission to parties (they're $5 for nonmembers). They usually have some time to "try it out" before pledging (aka paying up)...so definately try it out and see if it's right for you before you cough up the money.

400 a semester? Crap, our are dues are about 180 per year and I feel like it's worth it because we throw about 15 parties/socials per year. It is NOT worth 800 a year(if that is even true). Wait, you're going to San Antonio, join the ZIPs.

400/semester?!?! I'm in Psi Omega and we paid 150 for a lifetime membership. No other fees. I think your chapter needs to find a new treasurer.

I'm in Psi Omega and pay $60/year. Not bad if you ask me. The dues definitely pay for themselves when you consider all the happy hours/parties.

jb!:)

400 a semester...you must be ballin it up at the frat parties!

I guess I'm the odd man but I think it's a great asset. You get an instant support group of older students which is great for things like referrals, lab help, study info, and yeah free pizza and beer. Most important is its an easy way to get into a leadership role for all you gunners and just like any fraternal organization the networking will always help when you get out. I know a guy who got a deal on purchasing a practice just because they shared the same dental fraternity, so I would say those dues payed off in the long run.

There is no direct financial benefit to any fraternity but being a member of a fraternity will sure polish your resume to certain degree.

For example being elected into membership of Omicron Kappa Upsilon (national honor dental society) for instance one has to be the top 12% in his/her graduating dental class and voted for by faculty members based on excellent academic achievements, high moral standards and seem as a potential contributor to dentistry. Your employers or patients will sure have positive view about you if you have such in your resume or membership certificate framed in your office.

If you work hard, you'll be recognized. It's always a gain not a loss.

No real benefit, other than I got to meet and hang out with people outside of my usual social circle, but it depends on the school and how the fraternity is organized. The dental frat 'scene' at UOP is generally a ski trip or two, a bunch of sponsored lunch and learns, dinner lectures, and the occasional party. We just don't have enough time for shenanigans. The one tangible benefit I can see from my experience is that I was able to network with dentists outside of the UOP bubble.

I think that the social, professional, and academic/continuing education roles that dental frats aspire to fill will be filled anyway by the people you meet when you're a practicing dentist. They can give you a starting point for networking etc, but you're going to naturally gravitate towards the people you trust and like.

Omicron Kappa Upsilon is an honor bestowed upon you not something you seek out. That is something that dental school professors like to have to brag. Outside in the private sector it means nothing and sounds like a high society thing for the elite to patients.

If I earned this I would place it on my wall and be proud.

Dental fraternaties that you seek out are Delta Sig and Psi Omega. They are different at every school. I was a Psi O and at our school it was the mild one with families. In other schools it is the party frat. Frats with houses are known to play more.

My suggestion would be to join a good church for a sense of belonging. You can also join Dental Town for a way to grow in dentistry.