Dental harder to get into than medical school?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
can someone please delete this thread---- its was the biggest waste of 5 mins of my life

Members don't see this ad.

I tried to warn you. I'm sorry.

Members don't see this ad :)
Let you see my what? It's my grill, yo. I got like platinum and white gold, traditonal gold. I might be grilled out nicely :banana: In my white tee :banana:
On South beach:banana: in my wife beat.

Let you see my what? It's my grill, yo. I got like platinum and white gold, traditonal gold. I might be grilled out nicely :banana: In my white tee :banana:
On South beach:banana: in my wife beat.

gansters don't use dancing banana's;)

Reactions: 1 user
Who has a grill here? A'ight then, who is more ganster? Also, there was no "oh" face. Maybe this one :barf: but that's more of a "uogh"

Those are valid points, but wouldnt I be wasting more money on a masters degree, and a DAT re-take if I dont get accepted once again to dental school?

At least while im in medical school, there will at least be some kind of a future for me. I cant keep funding my education if it wont start to pay off for me. Also, I have already done over 2000 hours of dental work/community service... Adding another 100 more wouldnt really make much impact.

Maybe you should have spent that 2000 hours studying for the DAT or raising your GPA...

Back to the original question... It probably is easier to get into a Caribbean medical school than a US dental school. I've heard that few basically accept everybody because its more money in their pocket. Although there are a handful that are supposedly on more or less equal footing with US schools.

The people bringing up things like "US MDs will look down upon you" may be true to some extent, but who cares? Especially if you do well on your exams and boards or whatever med students do. The question is whether your actually going to succeed in the Caribbean medical school (which no one really knows), and whether dental schools are going to look favorably at your decision (since your ultimate goal is still dental school). Maybe call some dental schools and ask them?

and... would you really want to be a physician?

to the OP, i really hope you dont become my doctor. your outlook in this thread is incredibly unprofessional. If you want advice, PM me.

!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!ATTITUDE IS EVERYTHING!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

WHO CARES!!!! Becoming a dentist is WAYYYYYY more legit :D

And plus, med/dent are both DOCTORS. We are just way cooler :D

Work hard for acceptance into med school b/c your passion is medicine.
Work hard for acceptance into d-school b/c your passion is dentistry.
Not b/c one or the other is easier.

My opinion on the original question.....I don't think either is any easier or harder to get into. It's tough to get into any professional school. I think you need to make a decision on a career and go after it. Adcom's can tell if your not 100% into dentistry or medicine. Anyway good luck with what ever you choose.

Well said :thumbup:

Work hard for acceptance into med school b/c your passion is medicine.
Work hard for acceptance into d-school b/c your passion is dentistry.
Not b/c one or the other is easier.

My opinion on the original question.....I don't think either is any easier or harder to get into. It's tough to get into any professional school. I think you need to make a decision on a career and go after it. Adcom's can tell if your not 100% into dentistry or medicine. Anyway good luck with what ever you choose.

Members don't see this ad :)
There was a guy in my church that applied to dental school 3 years and didn't get in anywhere. He then applied to 8 DO schools and got into all 8.

My personal opinion is this, competitively (gpa, admissions test) MD, DMD/DDS, DO, all the rest. SO, overall, technically it is easier to be a physician due to the fact that you can do it through MD, DO, caribbean, or any other weird way. There is only one path to be a dentist. BUT it is harder to be an MD than a DMD. So, dental school is harder or is not harder to get into depending on how you look at it.

MD (US) > DDS/DMD > Pharm D > DO > all others, or some slight variation of that

I can honestly say that all of my med friends are smarter than I am. Which is good, because I probably won't have to save anyone from death.

I can honestly say that all of my med friends are smarter than I am. Which is good, because I probably won't have to save anyone from death.

They aren't smarter, they just study more. ;)

They aren't smarter, they just study more. ;)

Hopefully, my dental peers are a bunch of idiots, because I want ortho. I'm glad that medicine attracts the best and that dentistry is full of asians that don't speak proper english. :smuggrin:

Hopefully, my dental peers are a bunch of idiots, because I want ortho. I'm glad that medicine attracts the best and that dentistry is full of asians that don't speak proper english. :smuggrin:

Excuse me?

:eek::laugh:

:thumbdown: and what makes you so special?

Woah Woah Woah. Even I think that was out of line.

jk :smuggrin::smuggrin::smuggrin::smuggrin::smuggrin::smuggrin::smuggrin::smuggrin::smuggrin::smuggrin:

There are more Asians in medicine then in dentistry...

While everyone makes solid points here...I'd like point out that veterinary school is pretty hard to get into...and arguably the hardest of the health professional schools. But in the end...you have to work hard to get into anything. Maybe med school is "more difficult" to get into based on certain criteria...same can be said about dental school as was pointed out above. It all depends on how you look at it...anyone can make an argument for any side...everyone is biased towards their profession. I think the only people who say their profession is harder to get through/get into is suffering from a major inferiority complex and should not be taken seriously.

While everyone makes solid points here...I'd like point out that veterinary school is pretty hard to get into...and arguably the hardest of the health professional schools. But in the end...you have to work hard to get into anything. Maybe med school is "more difficult" to get into based on certain criteria...same can be said about dental school as was pointed out above. It all depends on how you look at it...anyone can make an argument for any side...everyone is biased towards their profession. I think the only people who say their profession is harder to get through/get into is suffering from a major inferiority complex and should not be taken seriously.

By this reasoning all MDs suffer from some type of major inferiority complex. :thumbup::thumbup::thumbup:

Dental schools and Medical schools are both very hard to get into. However the MCATs are ALOT more diffcult then the DAT...I think that is why some people feel medical schools are harder to get into...

Dental schools and Medical schools are both very hard to get into. However the MCATs are ALOT more diffcult then the DAT...I think that is why some people feel medical schools are harder to get into...

Depends on who you ask...I took both exams and actually did better statistically on the MCAT after only taking it once. Took me two tries to do well enough on the DAT to get into dental school. It really can go either way...this is one of those debates that will never end. at least until they replace shows like ER and Greys Anatomy w/ shows about dentists...dont know how well that would work though..but it's something to think about.

MCAT is much tougher than the DAT, it is just the truth
it just depends on the person. Gpa REQUIREMENTS are the same. DAT has spatial recognition portion (which guys are generally better at) vs reading comprehension (girls better) it really depends on individual.

dentistry is a practice unlike medicine. i grew up as an athlete and my basketball coach once told me "you either ball or you watch". I ball. Some people just have talent with their hands and spatial/social recognition vs natural wits. In a practice you will always get better whereas careers driven by constant mental stimulation have potential to dwindle. in the end i think medicine is more rewarding

Last edited:
it just depends on the person. Gpa REQUIREMENTS are the same. DAT has spatial recognition portion (which guys are generally better at) vs reading comprehension (girls better) it really depends on individual.

dentistry is a practice unlike medicine. i grew up as an athlete and my basketball coach once told me "you either ball or you watch". I ball. Some people just have talent with their hands and spatial/social recognition vs natural wits. In a practice you will always get better whereas careers driven by constant mental stimulation have potential to dwindle. in the end i think medicine is more rewarding

how did you even find a 10 yr old thread?

Reactions: 5 users
Well considering he revived the thread, I will have to say dental school is much much easier to get into than medical school.

Reactions: 3 users
And considering that he is Pre-Health undecided, I am guessing he googled "Is dental school harder to get into than med school?"

how about caribbean medical schools... many of them dont even require the MCAT for an acceptance...

Most of them have GPA averages in the ranges of 3.2-3.0... Honestly... come on now.. you are obviously overlooking these very apparent details.

Op. What is your GPA? Stats? Why do you think you haven't had an acceptance yet?

Status
Not open for further replies.