Dental hygiene vs. Dentistry

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Giuliette

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello!
I am currently going to a community college to get my AS in dental hygiene, but my long term goal is to become a dentist, orthodontist to be more exact. My question is, should I get my AA and continue studying for my long-term goals, or should I get into dental hygiene? Would it just be a waste of time if I get into dental hygiene?
Thanks! :cat:

Members don't see this ad.

you are better off getting your prerequisites done and taking your DAT as early as you can rather doing hygeine. I work with hygenists and they tell me hygeine school was pretty tough and if you wanna work you have to clear your boards which are very strenuous. so if ultimately you wann be a dentist then you dont need to go through hygeien first. rather focus on getting a bachelors from your state university

Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Hello!
I am currently going to a community college to get my AS in dental hygiene, but my long term goal is to become a dentist, orthodontist to be more exact. My question is, should I get my AA and continue studying for my long-term goals, or should I get into dental hygiene? Would it just be a waste of time if I get into dental hygiene?
Thanks! :cat:

Try to do the dental hygiene program at a four year college.

Yes the dental hygiene program is tough.

But that will get you ready for the tougher dental school.

Dental hygiene school will teach you a lot about dentistry, specifically periodontology. As well as providing you the experience of having that 1to1 patient relationship.

Once you graduate dental hygiene school you will be able to make good money, with the possibility of very little debt 0-25k.

During the program many biology and chemistry courses are required which are also required by dental schools.

Try to go to a 4 year college for dental hygiene.

What happens if you don't get accepted first time around to dental school? What will you do with a biology degree?

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
I'm going to agree with tooth knockn here and say go for hygiene. I think that you'll have a better chance of getting in as a "non traditional" applicant (a lot of schools love non-traditional applicants) applying later in life for a second career. I know a few hygienists-turned-dentists, and from what they tell me, the hygienist applicant to hygienist accepted ratio is very good. (As in, many hygienists that apply get in). Whereas 10% or less of the traditional pre-dents that apply will get in.

Not only that, but dental hygiene is a great career. Low stress, low debt, low risk, great pay. If it turns out that you don't get in to D school, you'll still have a great job while you work on your application, instead of being a student for 6 years like some re-applicants.

I highly disagree with the people that suggest you to go to dental hygiene school. It is true that dental hygiene school prepares you for dental school, but you are wasting additional years to ultimately become a dentist. I rather be a dentist for 20 years than be a hygienist for 5 years and a dentist for 15 years. And in most cases, some people believe that they will apply to dental school later after working for a bit. You might get too comfortable and will end up being a dental hygienist for a while. If your dream is to become a dentist, then spend one year extra to make your application better than spending more than five years.

In addition to that, you will be putting yourself more in debt. Dental schools tuition increases about 7% each year and that may not seem a lot right now, but that is equivalent to probably about $20,000-$30,000 for all four years.

I'm going to agree with tooth knockn here and say go for hygiene. I think that you'll have a better chance of getting in as a "non traditional" applicant (a lot of schools love non-traditional applicants) applying later in life for a second career. I know a few hygienists-turned-dentists, and from what they tell me, the hygienist applicant to hygienist accepted ratio is very good. (As in, many hygienists that apply get in). Whereas 10% or less of the traditional pre-dents that apply will get in.
The information on the "accepted ratio" and the "10%" must have come from a science fiction novel. For 2013, 47% of the applicants gained acceptance. The "dental support services and allied profession" and the "dental, medical or health preparatory programs" have the lowest acceptance ratios than any other group majors.
http://forums.studentdoctor.net/threads/2014-majors-and-ds-admission-trend-2005-2013.1065182/

I highly disagree with the people that suggest you to go to dental hygiene school. It is true that dental hygiene school prepares you for dental school, but you are wasting additional years to ultimately become a dentist. I rather be a dentist for 20 years than be a hygienist for 5 years and a dentist for 15 years. And in most cases, some people believe that they will apply to dental school later after working for a bit. You might get too comfortable and will end up being a dental hygienist for a while. If your dream is to become a dentist, then spend one year extra to make your application better than spending more than five years.

In addition to that, you will be putting yourself more in debt. Dental schools tuition increases about 7% each year and that may not seem a lot right now, but that is equivalent to probably about $20,000-$30,000 for all four years.

Hey, 5 years working as a dental hygienist is more profitable than the first 5 years of a dentist.

Dental hygienist= 0-25k debt, by third year of working debt is gone, easy breezy, any where in the country.
Dental hygienist salary: easy minimum of 50k a year and if your lucky 60-80k a year.
After 5 years overall worth of dental hygienist is maybe 180k with NO DEBT. NO STRESS

Dentist: 150-400k debt, possibly debt free if you are aggressive at paying back 4-8 years living very frugal.

Salary: min: 85k max 250k first 5 years
Overall worth of the dentist 550k with DEBT

YES the dentist is better in the long run...

But if you don't got the grades right now, and want to step foot in the dental field make some money and try to go into dental school, dental hygiene is the way to go.

I don't understand why one would choose a bio degree which will end up giving a pre-dental student no advantage into dentistry and with DEBT, and low salary after graduating.

what is the point of delaying applying to dental school when that is your ultimate goal?

what is the point of delaying applying to dental school when that is your ultimate goal?

There is no delaying?

Dental hygienist can choose other courses to take while in the program.

2 years, 45-52 credits pertaining to dental hygiene.
Which includes anatomy physiology 1&2

Members don't see this ad :)
much experience can be gained by being justa dental assistant....you actually see operative treatment that way vs just cleaning teeth

Almost getting done with DH school, I am having a hard time finding a full/part time job. So, I would go straight for dental if that's what you truly want. Best of Luck!!!!!

Reactions: 1 users
because your suggestion involves working afterwards

Not everybody makes it in the first time.

When you are dealing with big decisions such as investing in education which consists of undergraduate, one expense, plus dental school, another expense, which is competitive...... What will somebody in the mean time ? Shadow? Dental assist? Volunteer ?

Dental hygiene I think is the best way academically for a predental applicant.

If you don't make it in the first or second time,..... The dental hygienist will be in the field making good income in the field of interest.

Yes dental assistant too, but the pay is like 1/2 half....

What will that same individual do if they did not have a DH degree but a biology or chemistry degree, which is like 50%+/- of the applicants?

Work at McDonald's and assist dentists with those long ass hours to make some good income 20k (-) ?

This makes more sense and cents

Please excuse my grammar I wrote this quickly...

* what will somebody do in the mean time if not accepted

Not everybody makes it in the first time.

When you are dealing with big decisions such as investing in education which consists of undergraduate, one expense, plus dental school, another expense, which is competitive...... What will somebody in the mean time ? Shadow? Dental assist? Volunteer ?

Dental hygiene I think is the best way academically for a predental applicant.

If you don't make it in the first or second time,..... The dental hygienist will be in the field making good income in the field of interest.

Yes dental assistant too, but the pay is like 1/2 half....

What will that same individual do if they did not have a DH degree but a biology or chemistry degree, which is like 50%+/- of the applicants?

Work at McDonald's and assist dentists with those long ass hours to make some good income 20k (-) ?

This makes more sense and cents

Sorry it didn't post. can I ask what you majored in????

Damn teddy bear u old. Im only a sophmore :)
ECB96FA1B237A057DF6A8135F14A8735F98C642E

I'll be done this May and just passed my DH boards. Just wondering should I get a BSDH or go straight to the prerequisites for dental? Any thoughts would be great! Thx !!!!

I'll be done this May and just passed my DH boards. Just wondering should I get a BSDH or go straight to the prerequisites for dental? Any thoughts would be great! Thx !!!!

Both. Work and go to school part time

Both. Work and go to school part time

sorry if i sound arrogant, suggesting to someone who has a chance to go straight to 4-year and apply to dental school vs taking a long route just because if a BS Bio cant do anything in real life is very misleading and misguiding.

for the most part, pre-dent with bio major who want to go to dental spend all their time studying and volunteering. however, in order to get a job while waiting with BS Bio, these predent need to work in academic research lab as assistant . then they can have a job with BS Bio later. some predent dont do this because having research extracurricular is very time consuming (10hours/week on top of everything else you deal with, and believe me, stuff you do at wet bench is like a slave that makes ur body tired)

so yea, no experience in lab makes BS Bio degree less marketable. but applying to professional school there is always a price, some get in some dont get in. thats why some predent prefer to spend time studying and volunteering (which get back to point 1 as not working in academic research lab)

I believe if you are trying to get into dental school yourself and is not a dental hygienist yourself please dont give suggestions.

to the OP, go straight to 4 year and apply to dental school, sometimes working in a path that you have no return point makes u more focused. in life, there is usually no return point (such as marrying a bad wife and end up paying child support for the rest of your life)

sorry if i sound arrogant, suggesting to someone who has a chance to go straight to 4-year and apply to dental school vs taking a long route just because if a BS Bio cant do anything in real life is very misleading and misguiding.

for the most part, pre-dent with bio major who want to go to dental spend all their time studying and volunteering. however, in order to get a job while waiting with BS Bio, these predent need to work in academic research lab as assistant . then they can have a job with BS Bio later. some predent dont do this because having research extracurricular is very time consuming (10hours/week on top of everything else you deal with, and believe me, stuff you do at wet bench is like a slave that makes ur body tired)

so yea, no experience in lab makes BS Bio degree less marketable. but applying to professional school there is always a price, some get in some dont get in. thats why some predent prefer to spend time studying and volunteering (which get back to point 1 as not working in academic research lab)

I believe if you are trying to get into dental school yourself and is not a dental hygienist yourself please dont give suggestions.

to the OP, go straight to 4 year and apply to dental school, sometimes working in a path that you have no return point makes u more focused. in life, there is usually no return point (such as marrying a bad wife and end up paying child support for the rest of your life)

I read your post.

To be honest. I wish I did do dental hygiene.

I'm glad I did not do bio.

I am satisfied with health service administration.

Many dental hygienist that I have been class mates with who've been taking courses for pre-dent were able to work part time, study, and being in the dental field.

Dental hygiene is not a easy degree. And students of the program can choose extra courses pertaining to dental school pre-requisites.

Who would look better on paper? When applying to dental school...

Research is a whole different world from being in a clinical environment with patients.

The only advantage to research is the writing skills attained, and the importance of variable conditions, time ,temp.

This is my opinion based off many years in the dental field, and many years in school, and many years of interacting with other independent individuals.

Any body reading this who is undecided, go ask your dentist or prehealth advisor to what you should do.

But if you are applying to a dental hygiene program, try to take higher level biology and chemistry courses instead of the intro courses which are usually required,.. But also ask the dental hygiene department if you could.....

AND ALWays TRY TO GO TO A FOUR YEAR COLLEGE.

Or for the young pre-dents reading this....

Google " pipeline dental programs"

To avoid all this running around

The information on the "accepted ratio" and the "10%" must have come from a science fiction novel. For 2013, 47% of the applicants gained acceptance. The "dental support services and allied profession" and the "dental, medical or health preparatory programs" have the lowest acceptance ratios than any other group majors.
http://forums.studentdoctor.net/threads/2014-majors-and-ds-admission-trend-2005-2013.1065182/

I was going by my school's numbers, which I assumed were typical. 700+ apply each year and 65 are accepted.

I was going by my school's numbers, which I assumed were typical. 700+ apply each year and 65 are accepted.
A school's number has little significance since each applicant applies to ~10 schools.