Dental Hygiene?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

digitlnoize

Rock God
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Why is there no DH section? Can SDN make one? Mods?

I'm asking for my wife, who is a DH and feels very left out...

Members don't see this ad.

I asked about this a year or two ago to no avail.
-C

Lame. Come on SDN. Give the DH's some love.

Members don't see this ad :)
I vote keep 'em out. This is student DOCTOR network.

I realize you may be trying to be funny, but there are plenty of other forums here devoted to non-DOCTORS. See the "Clinicians", "MPH", "Prehospital", and "Post-Bac" forums.

Not to mention: PRE-allo, PRE-osteo, PRE-dent, PRE-optometry, PRE-pharm, PRE-podiatry, and PRE-vet forums.

I'll make the suggestion in the suggestion box.

I hope this person is joking as well. If not good luck keeping a good DH employed in your office.

Why is there no DH section? Can SDN make one? Mods?

I'm asking for my wife, who is a DH and feels very left out...

Tell her to check out amyrdh.com
I enjoy the company here better, though. No reason she can't join SDN.

Tell her to check out amyrdh.com
I enjoy the company here better, though. No reason she can't join SDN.

Yeah, we know about amyrdh. SDN is just better, and there's no reason why there shouldn't be a DH forum. Especially considering how many DH-ers use it as a stepping stone to Dental school these days...

How hard is it to make a new forum? +pissed+

I'm not really that mad...I just think it's funny.

I realize you may be trying to be funny, but there are plenty of other forums here devoted to non-DOCTORS. See the "Clinicians", "MPH", "Prehospital", and "Post-Bac" forums.

Not to mention: PRE-allo, PRE-osteo, PRE-dent, PRE-optometry, PRE-pharm, PRE-podiatry, and PRE-vet forums.

I'll make the suggestion in the suggestion box.

Those professions all receive doctorates of some fashion...pre-doctorate = student doctor...other forums are generally for those who are hoping to become student doctors...

Those professions all receive doctorates of some fashion...pre-doctorate = student doctor...other forums are generally for those who are hoping to become student doctors...

Pharm??? I know there is pharm D. But last time I was at Walgreens I didn't see any Docs behind the counter.

Pharm is a doctorate degree.

I know that I was being a little facetious about the PRE stuff, but hey...that guy was being lame.

In all reality though, many of the B.S. DH students I know are planning on going to Dental School, or to get their M.S. or even PhD. They're pre doctorate too, by that argument.

The point is, I'm sure there are some lurkers, or would be if they had a place to lurk.

It can't hurt...can it?

Im in school to become an RDH and would love to have a forum here for us. I found this site by searching for tooth ID info, since my exam is on monday and I came across a tooth ID thread and found some info helpful.

Seems some of you dont want anyone but doctors here, but hey, if i can use the help from the site, and maybe i can help someone along the way, I dont see why its an issue.

Members don't see this ad :)
Im in school to become an RDH and would love to have a forum here for us. I found this site by searching for tooth ID info, since my exam is on monday and I came across a tooth ID thread and found some info helpful.

Seems some of you dont want anyone but doctors here, but hey, if i can use the help from the site, and maybe i can help someone along the way, I dont see why its an issue.

I don't think anyone really cares a whole lot whether or not non-doctoral students come here...

I don't think anyone really cares a whole lot whether or not non-doctoral students come here...

Apparently the admin does. I posted in the suggestion forum and was told that SDN is only for people pursuing doc level degrees.

To which, my response is: DH-ers DO pursue doctorate level degrees. More often than one would think.

I feel that a DH forum would be very beneficial. It can't hurt SDN, only help.

Besides, more traffic = more advertising revenue for SDN. What's the problem?!?

I say we need a law forum.

I mean law students receive Juris DOCTORATES...

come on people, this is a board for pre-health professionals.

Why does she need a specific site just for hygiene. The name of this forum is DENTAL. I think that should encompass everything. I think that if she had anything to say about dentistry from a hygienist's perspective just about everyone hear would be anxious to hear about it. After all we all will be working with hygienists some day and i'm sure her comments would be mutually beneficial.

You are absolutely welcome here.

Unless you find a forum that's more appropriate for your needs, absolutely use SDN all you want! Everyone gets protective and sometimes pretentious about their careers, so don't mind people who won't talk to you if you're not a doctor. You may not get helpful answers for something solely limited to RDH stuff (like questions about your exam or licensure), simply because we won't have the information, but if you bring up a concern about perio technique, office management, or patient issues everyone will be happy to discuss them. :)

The admins have a point about limiting actual forums to doctoral degrees (simply because they have to draw the line somewhere), so you'll probably have to deal with the dental forums and just make your own threads. Welcome!

Unless you find a forum that's more appropriate for your needs, absolutely use SDN all you want! Everyone gets protective and sometimes pretentious about their careers, so don't mind people who won't talk to you if you're not a doctor. You may not get helpful answers for something solely limited to RDH stuff (like questions about your exam or licensure), simply because we won't have the information, but if you bring up a concern about perio technique, office management, or patient issues everyone will be happy to discuss them. :)

The admins have a point about limiting actual forums to doctoral degrees (simply because they have to draw the line somewhere), so you'll probably have to deal with the dental forums and just make your own threads. Welcome!

Well put!

Those of you wanting to keep hygiene out are crazy. Your hygienist will play a key role in helping you keep your business running at full steam!

As an aside these non-doctorate forums can be found here at SDN
Clinicians [ RN / NP / PA ]

Masters of Public Health [ MPH ]

Psychology [M.A., M.S.W., B.S., B.A.]

If SDN is true to form and only doctorate programs are allowed, please REMOVE these threads, because a doctorate is clearly superior (this is sarcasm)

-C

Those of you wanting to keep hygiene out are crazy. Your hygienist will play a key role in helping you keep your business running at full steam!

If SDN is true to form and only doctorate programs are allowed, please REMOVE these threads, because a doctorate is clearly superior (this is sarcasm)

-C

:clap:

-C

I made this point to the admin and was told that those forums are for people in those professions that want to get a doctorate...lame.

To which I reply, "DH's can get doctorates too...many go on to get a PhD or dental school."

Just curious. How much of a demand is there for a dental hygiene section? This question of creating a dental hygiene section only pops up like once in a blue moon. I don't see how the administration at SDN could allocate resources to a section that was infrequently visited by members.

Just curious. How much of a demand is there for a dental hygiene section? This question of creating a dental hygiene section only pops up like once in a blue moon. I don't see how the administration at SDN could allocate resources to a section that was infrequently visited by members.

yea... it seems to me that the only people who bring it up are RDHs who are applying to dental school.

#1. If there's little demand, then a new section won't require many resources. It won't eat up server space, and one of the dental mods can poke their head in there once in a blue moon. No problem.

#2. Creation of a forum will increase the demand greatly I think. They will see they have a place to go and come here. Amyrdh's forum sucks compared to this place.

I made this point to the admin and was told that those forums are for people in those professions that want to get a doctorate...lame.

To which I reply, "DH's can get doctorates too...many go on to get a PhD or dental school."

If this is the case then they should fit in with the current forums - pre-dental etc. So, it's probably not that great of an argument.

But, I think it would be cool to have a hygiene thread.

#1. If there's little demand, then a new section won't require many resources. It won't eat up server space, and one of the dental mods can poke their head in there once in a blue moon. No problem.

#2. Creation of a forum will increase the demand greatly I think. They will see they have a place to go and come here. Amyrdh's forum sucks compared to this place.

Yeah, Amyrdh is so cluttered. It drives me nuts. I don't know how dental people deal with that mess.

And RNs in most states just have bachelors degrees. If SDN has an RN section they should also have an RDH section.
But whatever- I don't care that much.

Oh man, are you right. I've been poking around the amyrdh "listers" site and it is a mess. I don't see how these persnickety hygienists can stand to sift through all the unorganized messages on that forum. It's not even anonymous. And the advertisers are all crammed in there and everything is way too wordy. I do enjoy talking shop, though.
If SDN comes up with an RDH section, I'll try to recruit some traffic from the other hygiene lists- and my fellow RDHs.

Now I care more about having a separate forum for hygienists. Or maybe separate forums for the specialties? Perio, ortho, prostho, etc?