What's the difference in difficulty between dental hygiene curriculum and that of dental school?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

GokuxGON

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
For those who have done both, how do they compare? I started my first week of dental school in Texas and it has been brutal. I really believe I will not survive in this atmosphere. I really know myself and my limits. It has just been miserable. Throughout my lectures all I think about is how bad I just want to go back home. Dental hygiene has always been in the back of my head, and I am highly considering it in case I do drop out or fail out.

Members don't see this ad.

Never been to dental hygiene school. But I have performed plenty of cleanings and the idea of doing that repeadidly every day for the rest of my life is soul crushing. If you are smart enough to get in to dental school you’re probably smart enough to make it through.

There was time in my life, when I was considering Hygiene school. Admission requirements were so low, I realized I can do much better.
Everyone goes through the same feelings as you at the beginning - you will adapt

I heard dental hygiene is quite intense. All healthcare education in America seems to have unnecessary added pressure and dental school trumps almost all IMO. 4th year and it’s still hard sometimes to take the toxic criticism of instructors. But yeah you can make it through...whether these are the worst 4 yours of your entire life. If you made it in, schools usually can’t afford to lose spots. So you can make it. DM me if you want any help or some tip or someone to talk to