Dental Hygienist in California

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

sumram

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi guys,

Just wanted to know the procedure to practice as a dental hygienist in the bay area.Is there just an exam that I would need to clear? or do I have to go in for the course?

Hope someone would be able to help me

Thnks in advance,

sumram

Members don't see this ad.

hi,
as far as i know florida is the only state which allows a dentist trained out side the united states to practise as a dental hygienist
with out any further training.ofcourse you have to take national dental hygiene board and florida dental hygiene licence exam to practise as a hygienist there. you have to finish a dental hygiene program in an accredated dental school in usa for all other states(as far as i know).any way check with california state dental boards there.
honest

hi ;
if u wnat to pratcie as a hyg ...in ca u have to go back to school for 2 yrs ....i have looked into the thing my self

Members don't see this ad :)
Hi Honest dentist and kosha,

Thnks so much for ur responses.I really wish it wasn't so hard even to practice as a hygienist,wish we could get done only with one exam.I don't understand why we need to go to school for 2 yrs to do scaling even!!Ridiculous , isn't it??

sumram

hi sumram,
some times i feel like becoming a dental hygienist is much harder than getting into a dental school.even if you decide to go to hygiene program which is 2 years its not that easy. when i called some progarm directors they told me that i have to take some pre requisite classes before getting to the progaram.it will take almost 2 years to complete that then do the 2 year hygiene program..they are not even considering foreign dental degee to get into the program.:confused: .
honest

Hi Honest,

I know this absolutely crazy ! Iwonder what the logic behind all this is though!

So,what do u do now?
sumram