Dental Loupes: What magnification level?????

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

L8DYV

refreshing
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Any suggestions for an incoming dental student? Thanks guys!

Members don't see this ad.

After experimenting with a dental microscope before I purchased my loupes and trying both 2.5x and 3.5x settings I recommend 2.5x. Several 2nd years at Penn purchased 3.5x and now they regret it as the higher magnification narrows the depth of field and decreases angle of view - for general procedures you don't need the increased magnification that 3.5x provides and I have no problem visualizing my preps with the 2.5x.

L8DYV said:
Any suggestions for an incoming dental student? Thanks guys!

I have 2.5X that i bought my first year. I would highly recommend buying loupes sometime by the end of your first year. It will be well worth the money.

Members don't see this ad :)
I could not live without my loupes. That being said, make sure your first pair are Galilean loupes and not Prisms (this refers to the type of lense) as prisms greatly reduce depth and width of field. I have a pair of through the lense Oriscoptic loupes 2.5X that I use for fixed, operative procedures. I use 3.5X surgitel flip ups for Endo, Pros, OMS, etc. The key is trying out several different pairs from the manufacturers at events at the dental school and finding some that fit you well, are comfortable, and satisfy a good depth of field and width of field. Each person is different. For a first pair I think through the lense oriscoptics are great (2.5X).

Hi hey im new here. Am studying Dentistry Down in Aussie (Australia) at U.Syd. Anyways we need to buy loupes and there are suggestions from some that we may be able to puchase them cheaper from U.S direct due to economies of scale and size of market over there.

So question, whats the approx cost of a decent quality set ie Keeler / Heine / etc loupe 2.5x galilean frame mounted flip type loupe. Over here were looking at around $1100.00 - $1300.00 AUS.

Meantime hope you're all enjoying the course and the warmer weather over there!

P.S Lots of Canadians out here doing our course...

I have 2.5, but often wish that they were 3.5. Of course, as the magnification gets larger the field of vision gets smaller, which can be a bit disorienting and confusing.

2.5 is probably the best for starting out.

I have 3.5X and they are harder to use than 2.5X for sure. But I feel like its worth it for the additional detail and closeness you get. My only complaint is that the depth of field is somewhat limited. I have DFV.

For starters, go with 2.5x

I have surgitel flip ups...

ItsGavinC said:
I have 2.5, but often wish that they were 3.5. Of course, as the magnification gets larger the field of vision gets smaller, which can be a bit disorienting and confusing.

2.5 is probably the best for starting out.
This mirrors my thoughts pretty closely. For single-tooth procedures (posterior crown/post & core preps, endo, complex amalgams) I occasionally wish I had something a little stronger, but 2.5x is probably the best option if you're getting one set of loupes for everything you do.

LarryBobDDS said:
I could not live without my loupes. That being said, make sure your first pair are Galilean loupes and not Prisms (this refers to the type of lense) as prisms greatly reduce depth and width of field. I have a pair of through the lense Oriscoptic loupes 2.5X that I use for fixed, operative procedures. I use 3.5X surgitel flip ups for Endo, Pros, OMS, etc. The key is trying out several different pairs from the manufacturers at events at the dental school and finding some that fit you well, are comfortable, and satisfy a good depth of field and width of field. Each person is different. For a first pair I think through the lense oriscoptics are great (2.5X).
You use 3.5x loupes for extractions? Wow.

here in memphis, we got surgitel 2.5x flip-ups through the school. they are HEAVY! and have some slippage issues with long-time use of various movable parts. this past summer, i bought some 2.5x through the lens loupes from DFV with titanium frames... those babies are sweet even for a poor ol 3rd year without an assistant. sometimes using the TTL gets a bit difficults what with all the multi-tasking i have to do, but lighter is easier on me. 2.5x also seems to be easiest to adapt to for your initial pair and while managing your own affairs at school.

what kinds of OS procedures require 3.5x loupes...distal resections of a pathologic fracture?

aphistis said:
You use 3.5x loupes for extractions? Wow.

If youre a man who has never broken off a root tip in an extraction than I understand your surprise. If you are like the rest of us, you may understand. Plus I am mostly referring to the ability of the flip up as opposed to the through the lense..Man you have to explain everything here.

LarryBobDDS said:
If youre a man who has never broken off a root tip in an extraction than I understand your surprise. If you are like the rest of us, you may understand. Plus I am mostly referring to the ability of the flip up as opposed to the through the lense..Man you have to explain everything here.
Your prerogative, I guess. I've never seen a pair of loupes in oral surgery clinic, though, whether on students or on faculty. Is it a common thing at your school?

Members don't see this ad :)
I've only used the 3.5X expanded field loupes, and I love them. In fact, thought about increasing the magnification to 4.5 for only additional $50. However, I'm not sure I will because I'll lose the ability to see more than one tooth to either side. I haven't found a reason to step back to the 2.5X, but that is probably because I went with the expanded filed option.

aphistis said:
Your prerogative, I guess. I've never seen a pair of loupes in oral surgery clinic, though, whether on students or on faculty. Is it a common thing at your school?

about 70% of people i know at my school use loupes at some point during oral surgery. 50% or so of my friends wear loupes during every OMS procedure, and most OMS faculty do wear them. Obviously they are only necessitated if you are trying to get better visualization on a seperated root tip, sinus exposure, etc. In these cases we subscribe to the closer visibility the better philosophy. This is why I wear flip ups in this case...they are just safety goggles until you need them.

I love my 3.0X magnification surgitel loops. I tried the 2.5X and honestly didn't like them. I like focusing on the teeth I'm working on and throughly look at all the anatomy.

You think it is possible to buy them over the net or do they really need to be fitted? I had seen some that have a working distance of 17 or 21 inches and since I'm 6'2'' wouldn't I want the 21 inch ones? I would just get 2.5x and 21 inch working distance. Is that all the fitment one needs?

definitely should get a fitting for "thru-the-lens" variety. An important measurement is the distance between your eyes. I have a headband-type loupes that is completely adjustable and this probably can be ordered from the net no prob.

I had read this study once on the use of magnification for surgical and non surgical extractions and how they were able to minimize the damage to the gingiva and bone and how it had increased their success rate for implants. I'll keep looking for it.

I wanted to buy them from online because I found this link through ebay and went to their website and they offer them there too and it starts at 200 bucks and up. Check them out before you comment on them. Don't let the price judge you. Tell me what you think? They allow you to return them with a 10 percent restocking fee.

http://www.med-lite.com/Gallery.htm

Dental916 said:
I wanted to buy them from online because I found this link through ebay and went to their website and they offer them there too and it starts at 200 bucks and up. Check them out before you comment on them. Don't let the price judge you. Tell me what you think? They allow you to return them with a 10 percent restocking fee.

http://www.med-lite.com/Gallery.htm

From the pics these look almost identical to the Orascoptic or Surgitel models. Unfortunately with them being online you don't have a chance to try them on to compare the weight and feel. another thing is the durability (concerning the moisture and dust in the operatory). Maybe someone in this forum uses them and can give feedback.

They come with a one year warranty...whats the warranty on other ones that cost 600 bucks, 1000 bucks etc?

I think my orascoptics only came with 30 day warranty :) but we buy them in first yr, and we tend to get our way with repairs and stuff thru the 4 yrs... otherwise they get a serious badmouthing and lose business :D

not to sound cliche, but perhaps you ain't got much to lose with the online deal, as long as they honor the warranty and return policy.

Not just for Loupes, but for just about any dental product get the vendor/rep to come to you and let you try it before you buy it. Think about it, if they don't/won't let you try it what does that say about both the company and the product???

If you're in d-school any rep should be happy to come an show off their product if they have any faith in it, after all in most schools the chance to present their product to you could equal many, may sales. Plus with Loupes, I bought my first pair(flip down 2.5x) loupes without trying them, and frankly hated them and actually didn't use them for a few years(good use of $500 on my part there :rolleyes:). When I actually shopped around at a dental convention and tried on loupes from half a dozen or so vendors and found a pair that I liked, I've been "addicted" to loupes ever since, and the $1100 I spent on them was well worth it(yup that's the non-student, "convention special" price of a pair of 2.5x through the lense orascoptics). I've been real satisfied with the service that orascoptic has provided since I've had my pair. The rep stops in my office when he's passing through my area every couple of months, and while my pair haven't needed any "tweeking", my partner has sent his back twice for some minor adjustments(both in working length and intra-pupillary distance) and they've had them back to him in the office each time in 3 to 4 business days.

Just remember, these loupes should last you years and years. The cheapest isnt always the best. It is important to get loupes that are good for you. You dont want to make sacrifices that are just going to prevent you from using them down the line. Make sure you are positive the loupes you buy are the best for you at the time as far as comfort, vision, etc.

Don't waste your time or money and get Zeiss loupes (3.2x would be good for a new student). UOP required us to buy loupes and I picked this new-comer to the loupes industry because I knew they made excellent lenses for cameras. Their loupes are awesome as well. Lots of people in our class regretted getting Orascoptic etc.

the feeling at my school was that zeiss had great optics but too heavy for some. And no TTL, IIRC? Should still try out various brands before buying.

So I'm a D1 and start preclinic in about 3 weeks. I plan on buying medlite loupes and i'm trying to decide if i should get the 3.0 ($219) or the 3.5x prismatic ($340-$400).

also in this thread, many people say we should get the 2.5x to start, however more recent post suggest the everyone likes the 3.5x and wishes they had upgraded. i know this is redundant, but really, for those who have COMPLETED their preclinical years, what do you thing?

thanks guys!

i like 2.5x but then again havent used anything else.

just tried on some heine 2.5x hi res loupes today with a light and they were the best i've tried on out of orascoptic and DFV. super long field depth and outstanding optics. they even have a removable prescription insert in case you were contacts and glasses at different times. ill be getting those...

and the rep wasn't pushy at all. very service oriented

I'm a big fan of 3.5x loupes. They're a nice compromise between field width/depth and magnification level, and if you get expanded field magnifiers they're just about perfect.

I have 2.5X flip-ups that I absolutely love. I didn't like the narrow field of vision of the 3.5X but that is personal opinion and I am sure they work well for some. I got mine off of the internet for $130.00 with a 1 year warranty and have not ever had a problem with them. I mostly liked that I got them in 2 days rather than 3 weeks. To each their own I suppose.

I have 3.0x Surgitel flips and I love them. I think the magnification is great and I can see everything that I need to. I would also recommend a light but that does make them a little bit heavier. I have tried the expanded field 3.5x and they are awesome too.

I started with 2.5s and upgraded to 3.5s during my 4th year in dental school, no regrets, love the working distance and depth of field, only thing I can't see my pt's eyes (decreased peripheral vision) during procedures which was nice with the 2.5s

orascoptic X3.2 TTL with the Ultra Optics Light, is MONEY.

my posture is better, vision is great, and field of view is solid, i dont feel constricted and the overall weight is just great, not bulky.

I've been doing alot of operative, endo and some c&B.

As a first year, dont rush into any one purchase, take your time decide. I did really use my loupes till i got to clinic and now i love them, that and my mirror.

As first years at UCLA, we are required to buy a set from one of 3 approved vendors, because they will each give a 10% kickback to UCLA student body

I got mine from Orascoptic for around... 900?

I got through-the-Lens 2.5x because I figured dentists have been working for years without loupes... they must not really be necessary. That being said, I always hold the typodont as close to my face as physically possible while still being able to see with the depth of field.

They work fine.

Don't waste your time or money and get Zeiss loupes (3.2x would be good for a new student). UOP required us to buy loupes and I picked this new-comer to the loupes industry because I knew they made excellent lenses for cameras. Their loupes are awesome as well. Lots of people in our class regretted getting Orascoptic etc.

I use Zeiss ProMag 4.0x 450mm. I love them. The clarity is AMAZING. They are heavier than other loupes, but that doesn't bother me at all. They are a more expensive, and larger than other loupes, so my fellow students make fun of me, but I see things they never will. The docs always comment on what great optics Zeiss has when they take a look at my loupes. No regrets, to be sure.

I went with the 4x because my brother, a dentist, and my best friend, a dentist, both said they never knew what they were missing until they got their 4x mag once in practice. They suggested getting the 4x in dental school.

I use Zeiss ProMag 4.0x 450mm. I love them. The clarity is AMAZING. They are heavier than other loupes, but that doesn't bother me at all. They are a more expensive, and larger than other loupes, so my fellow students make fun of me, but I see things they never will. The docs always comment on what great optics Zeiss has when they take a look at my loupes. No regrets, to be sure.

I went with the 4x because my brother, a dentist, and my best friend, a dentist, both said they never knew what they were missing until they got their 4x mag once in practice. They suggested getting the 4x in dental school.
This man is wise. Go with Zeiss, >4.0x. This will improve your ergonomics and dentistry.

I'm a first year and started out with DFV 3.5x. Zero issues with starting out above 2.5x like some companies like to mention. Couldn't be happier. Not to mention I love the Buddy Holly frames.

I don't know about the company as a whole but our Rep is outstanding and has even met some of my classmates on weekends who needed adjustments.

I like my Surgitel through-the-lens 3.0x with the Oakley frames. They're light and have a huge field of vision. With that said, I didn't like being forced by Colorado to buy from the Surgitel rep. with no other choices and the least expensive pair (regular frames) starting at $750!