dental loupes

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

chaka1988

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello

I am looking for dental loupes. As a first year dental student, do you advise me to buy loupes?
What are the best brands of dental loupes and what are the range of prices?

thanks for your time

Members don't see this ad.

Hello

I am looking for dental loupes. As a first year dental student, do you advise me to buy loupes?

thanks for your time
Do not buy loupes unless you are going to use them right away. This way you can return them or get them adjusted without any fees. Most sales reps could care less about you once you are past the trial period and they have their commission. It would be good if you could talk to students from your school to find out when you will need your loupes because this varies from school to school. My school you didn't need them until the second semester.

Members don't see this ad :)
I swore I would never get loupes. Then after practicing dentistry for 2 1/2 yrs, my left shoulder started really hurting. Another dentist recommended loupes. In about 2 wks all the pain went away and it is so easy to see everything on the tooth. Loupes are the best! Just go to a dental convention and try them all. They are about $1600 once you have graduated but about half that or less if you buy your Junior or Senior year.

Loupes do not have to be that expensive I sell loupes and would be more than happy to speak to anyone interested in purchasing I could save you lots of money, I could sell a pair for less than 1/2 of the 1600 price mark, please feel free to email me with any questions.
1/2 price of $1600 is close to normal price of what any dental student pays for brand name loupes that will be professionally adjusted with a $ back guarantee.

I think we will be ordering/getting fitted for loups on Tuesday. I'll let you know what I think about the ones we are getting. They are supposed to be really good.

I think we will be ordering/getting fitted for loups on Tuesday. I'll let you know what I think about the ones we are getting. They are supposed to be really good.

what company did you go with? And why are you getting them so early? Is your school requiring them this early too? We have to have ours by January...

what company did you go with? And why are you getting them so early? Is your school requiring them this early too? We have to have ours by January...

his signature says midwestern. tufts D12s were also fitted for loupes on the 2nd day of orientation. we will be using them in the pre-clinics asap....or so we were told.

his signature says midwestern. tufts D12s were also fitted for loupes on the 2nd day of orientation. we will be using them in the pre-clinics asap....or so we were told.

I asked what company not which school. And I pray for your sake that Tuft's is not a twelve year program.

I have both Surgitel and Orascoptic, I can say that as soon as I got the Orascoptic, I've never put on the Surgitel loupes again.

Personal preference. You won't know what you like until you give it a try.

Anybody here know which way is better on loupes: Wear contact lens with plain loupes or add prescription lens on the loupes?

Members don't see this ad :)
We had Orascoptic, Designs for Vision, Heine, Zeiss, and another vendor come to the school about a month ago. I decided I like the flip-up loupes because I wear glasses & hate contacts. Heine and Orascoptic had the best flip-ups (IMHO) and both have optional removable prescription lenses, which makes it easy to change when your prescription changes. I went with Heine, and after using them in our DentSim lab, I like 'em a lot.

Hello

thanks for your time
Oh, and to answer your questions, yes, get them in your first year if you will be using them before your 30-45 day trial period is up. Student pricing for 2.5 magnification should be between $800-1100, and can get much higher depending on which magnification and whether you buy a light.

Not sure I agree. This is personal preference. I have my rx in my loupes and I like them a lot.

And you wear contacts? How does that work?

We are getting the designs for vision with the light 2.5x. We are getting them early to use in the sim clinic. I don't know how much of a choice we get in picking them, I guess I'll find out next week. I'll let you know what I think. I do not have a prescription so that variable is thrown out of the equation for me. As long as I look like some superhero with a laser beam strapped to my noggin, I'm down. I think I'm going to put a tactical rail on mine to strap some sweet surefire laser lights and a grenade launcher for good measure, you can never be too prepared. You can call me The Dentinator .

We are getting the designs for vision with the light 2.5x. We are getting them early to use in the sim clinic. I don't know how much of a choice we get in picking them, I guess I'll find out next week. I'll let you know what I think. I do not have a prescription so that variable is thrown out of the equation for me. As long as I look like some superhero with a laser beam strapped to my noggin, I'm down. I think I'm going to put a tactical rail on mine to strap some sweet surefire laser lights and a grenade launcher for good measure, you can never be too prepared. You can call me The Dentinator .
lol. Dentinator. That should strike fear into the hearts of your mannequins. ;)
So you guys don't get to choose between different vendors?

lol. Dentinator. That should strike fear into the hearts of your mannequins. ;)
So you guys don't get to choose between different vendors?
It doesn't seem to be that we will be able to choose between different manufacturers. We may be able to choose between styles but even that far I am not sure yet. Our dean is a pretty stylish man, I respect his judgement.

We were forced to buy orascoptics during our 1st year. So I went ahead with 2.5x flip ups Rx. By the time I got to the 3rd year, I got sick and tired of adjusting flip ups all the damn time. They are heavy, fog easily and don't magnify enough that would keep you from bending over. A few weeks ago, I went ahead and bought Orascoptic 3.8x TTL prismatic wide vision loupes. Man, what a difference! Now, every morning I stick a pair of contacts in my eyes and greet my patients :D I should have done it right away 3 years ago.

Check out www.dentaltown.com, there is a huge section on magnification that might give you the answer.

Is there anyone out there that actually prefers not using loupes? I've had my set for a while and I'm beginning to think I prefer working without them. I have pretty good vision and I don't find my posture changes between using and not using them.

I feel like the field of vision is already narrow enough in a person's mouth that I don't need to go shrinking it down even more.

Is there anyone out there that actually prefers not using loupes? I've had my set for a while and I'm beginning to think I prefer working without them. I have pretty good vision and I don't find my posture changes between using and not using them.

I feel like the field of vision is already narrow enough in a person's mouth that I don't need to go shrinking it down even more.

I felt that way until about 1 year after graduation. Now I can't work without them. It seems like I am blind without them, for better or worse, I can't imagine not using them anymore.

Why not start with something inexpensive such as the Lactona 2.5 power with a focal length of ~ 11-14" until you have time to experiment with what it is that you feel comfortable with. At a cost of ~ $60, if you do not like them for dentistry you can use them in your garage to work on circuit boards. The problem with most units is that you have a limited field of vision and it takes time to get accustomed to them.

I'm torn between these two loupes. I like the DFV because of the higher mag and expanded field. However, it's close to $1600!:eek: Orascoptic is having a sale on the 2.5x Revolution TTL for $850.

I would appreciate any feedback for those who own these loupes.

I'm torn between these two loupes. I like the DFV because of the higher mag and expanded field. However, it's close to $1600!:eek: Orascoptic is having a sale on the 2.5x Revolution TTL for $850.

I would appreciate any feedback for those who own these loupes.

DFV is great, though I paid 1700 for mine (with Rx). :( 3.5x expanded with nike frame. thru the lens-loupes design is sharp, comfortable and with greater depth of view. I can see almost a whole typodont arch in it. only down side about it is the price and you can't sell them to anyone since they are customized for your pupil distance.

I went for the underslung shotgun for blowing open locked doors/killing zombies.

Surgitel came to our school today to fit us for loupes. We are required to go with Surgitel (don't get me started on it) but it was pretty painless. Most people went with a 3.0x mag. They really push the flip downs (probably because their contract requires them to do free maint. and the flip downs are easier to do so with) but I went with TTL based on the input of various dentists, students, and the fact that they were much lighter weight. I went with the Oakley half jacket frame. I wear contacts so no prescription lens. After all of this it was $930 delivered with a 45 day any exchange free policy.

Hope this helps?

I just wanted to share some information -- I went with DFV last year. We had to get loupes our first year. Anyways, I have had to have mine sent in and adjusted 3 times now -- long story short -- we didn't get to use them much first year because we weren't doing operative or anything in the mannequins, so it was hard to judge exactly how your ergonomics should be. DFV is a wonderful company to work with, phenomenal customer service, etc. I don't know about the other companies out there, but I know that the representative for DFV at my school as well as the national customer service people have been really helpful.

So, I have the DFV 2.5x standard field on order but after speaking with dentists, they recommended I go with the 3.5x expanded field. Any suggestions? I can stick with my order of the 2.5x and upgrade within the trial period but just wondering if there are any dentists/student docs who have gone through this and had any advice.

So, I have the DFV 2.5x standard field on order but after speaking with dentists, they recommended I go with the 3.5x expanded field. Any suggestions? I can stick with my order of the 2.5x and upgrade within the trial period but just wondering if there are any dentists/student docs who have gone through this and had any advice.

I have the 3.5x expanded field and they are the straight poop. Get them ASAP.

My buddy went with the 3.5 expanded field DFV with a light, I went with Heine 2.5's, no light.

Hi, I'm Lurch and I suffer from Loupe Envy.

BUT, mine cost around $900, and his were over $1700. He's single, I'm married with a kid and don't have lotsa cash flow.

My buddy went with the 3.5 expanded field DFV with a light, I went with Heine 2.5's, no light.

Hi, I'm Lurch and I suffer from Loupe Envy.

BUT, mine cost around $900, and his were over $1700. He's single, I'm married with a kid and don't have lotsa cash flow.

Ok Lurch and armorshell, you've pushed me over the fence, I'm getting the 3.5x EF. It's 500 bucks more but I don't really care, I think it's worth it to have good poop.

I have the surgitel 2.5x OTT loupes, I love them but after using them for the past 9 months I wish I would have gone with the 3.5x. It was nice using the 2.5 to get use to using loupes, but after you get use to them you wish you'd gone with the 3.5
I cant afford another pair yet, but who knows I just might buy another pair when I can.

I have the surgitel 2.5x OTT loupes, I love them but after using them for the past 9 months I wish I would have gone with the 3.5x. It was nice using the 2.5 to get use to using loupes, but after you get use to them you wish you'd gone with the 3.5
I cant afford another pair yet, but who knows I just might buy another pair when I can.

I was talked into the 2.5 and love em but when I see someone with those slightly larger lenses it makes me wonder what they can see that I can't.

Hello

thanks for your time

I have the Oakley frames by Surgi-tel with flip-up loupes 2.5X, surgi-tel's customer service sucks and I had to complain to my school's admin to finally get what I wanted.
Pros: You can wear them all day and not feel like you're wearing them at all
Cons: expensive, and did I mention that the support sucks?

Ok Lurch and armorshell, you've pushed me over the fence, I'm getting the 3.5x EF. It's 500 bucks more but I don't really care, I think it's worth it to have good poop.
Cool man, I think you'll like 'em. My buddy got the buddy holly frames (big & dorky lookin, but I guess they hold the heavier 3.5's better.)

I'm planning on buying another pair of loupes during 4th year so I can get the student discount. Prolly go with 3.5-4.0 then.

Went with DFV 3.5 EF. Can't wait to get them. DFV had a better working angle than the orascoptic Revolution.

Cool man, I think you'll like 'em. My buddy got the buddy holly frames (big & dorky lookin, but I guess they hold the heavier 3.5's better.)

I'm planning on buying another pair of loupes during 4th year so I can get the student discount. Prolly go with 3.5-4.0 then.

Ya, I have the buddy holly frames on order. I think I'm the only one in the class that ordered them. The other frames seemed too light weight and sissy, it's all about keeping it real with the BH frames, plus the arms are fat enought to get your name enscribed on them. Mine say, "Dr. Hercules" (not really but I thought about it).

Surgitel came to our school today to fit us for loupes. We are required to go with Surgitel (don't get me started on it) but it was pretty painless. Most people went with a 3.0x mag. They really push the flip downs (probably because their contract requires them to do free maint. and the flip downs are easier to do so with) but I went with TTL based on the input of various dentists, students, and the fact that they were much lighter weight. I went with the Oakley half jacket frame. I wear contacts so no prescription lens. After all of this it was $930 delivered with a 45 day any exchange free policy.

Hope this helps?

same here, forced to get surgitel. got the TTL half jackets too. ours were a little cheaper though. like a little over 850

Ya, I have the buddy holly frames on order. I think I'm the only one in the class that ordered them. The other frames seemed too light weight and sissy, it's all about keeping it real with the BH frames, plus the arms are fat enought to get your name enscribed on them. Mine say, "Dr. Hercules" (not really but I thought about it).
Hahaha. Yeah hercules, or "Herc" for short? Guess we're not trying to win any fashion shows. ...although my Heine's do look hawt, if I do say so myself. ;)

ULTRALIGHT OPTICS no doubt about it are the best, the lightest, the cheapest, the best quality, the best customer care, etc.. in the market. If you buy loupes, you will inevitably need loupe lights. And when it comes to loupe lights, Ultralight Optics Feather Light rock the house. I've had them for two years now and couldn't be happier with them. I go to USC dental school and most of the students at SC have this brand and I doubt you'll find anyone who would say otherwise about them!

ULTRALIGHT OPTICS no doubt about it are the best, the lightest, the cheapest, the best quality, the best customer care, etc.. in the market. If you buy loupes, you will inevitably need loupe lights. And when it comes to loupe lights, Ultralight Optics Feather Light rock the house. I've had them for two years now and couldn't be happier with them. I go to USC dental school and most of the students at SC have this brand and I doubt you'll find anyone who would say otherwise about them!

Is this the guy at USC who invented Ultralight??? Maybe that's why everyone at USC has them.

Is this the guy at USC who invented Ultralight??? Maybe that's why everyone at USC has them.

That was Ghazal, she's a member of USC class of 2010 and apparently one happy customer=) she just told me she posted on here and it's always an amazing experience to see people rave about it.

I'm Ron Nguyen, a student at USC and inventor of Feather Light and CEO of Ultralight Optics. Almost everyone has one at USC as well as many other schools because it's a huge leap in research and intraoral illumination. It takes a dentist to make a product suitable for dentistry =)

If you're interested in checking it out, visit www.loupelights.com, or email [email protected] and we can give you more info.

Here's a little tid bit on one of the awards we won through the invention of Feather Light
http://stevens.usc.edu/read_article.php?news_id=234

Last edited:
I have the featherlight too and it is great. I love it, it is farily inexpensive and works very well. I also have the Surgitel 3.0x magnification flip-ups and they work for me. I would definately recommend the light to go with any loupes that you buy it makes a huge difference.

Hey guys, I really need some advice on getting loupes..i didnt bother posting in other subforums because this seems to be the go-to place for loupe info

I'm a 2nd year student at a dental hygiene bachelor's degree program in Canada..we've been in the clinic since this sept and we're already working away on our mannequin heads and dealt with probes, curettes, and explorers.

We're required to get loupes by the end of this month..our faculty wants us to get flip-ups b/c their newbie-friendly.

Orascoptics, Surgitel and Heine came to our school and presented their products. I'm leaning towards either the Surgitel Oakley 2.5x Flip-up or the Heine 2.5x flip-ups. The thing is Heine doesn't even have a representative to take our measurments and surgitel is outta my budget ($1300 before taxes!!) I like surgitel because it offered vetical adjustment for the flip-ups..but is that necessary since it's always at a fixed position for best declination angle on other brands?

I got my sister, who's a pharmD student at MWU to ask the AZ Surgitel rep..and she got quoted $1050. I've seen many of you stating getting the same Oakley's for $800-900. (Ugh, stupid Canadian price mark-ups :mad:)My sis can't buy them for me 'cause those are student pricing and she's not a Dental student. She adviced me getting those cheapy aluminum harry potter ones since I'm a newb and not worthy of nice ones yet..and perhaps sell them when I grad and get nice TTL since I'm probably gonna get them anyways. Thing is, can i sell loupes? aren't they customized to your declination angle? How come I still see people selling used ones tho? How the heck does that work?

What should I do in my case..go with Surgitel Oakley's as a newb or cheaper aluminum ones (hell, they're like ~$1000 here as well), and when i grad sell them and get a nice TTL loupes?

I'm really tight on money or I wouldn't be making this post. My budget is $1250 AFTER taxes.

and How does buying loupes online work? (going back to the deal about personalized declination angle/working distance).

Last edited:
Hey guys, I really need some advice on getting loupes..i didnt bother posting in other subforums because this seems to be the go-to place for loupe info

I'm a 2nd year student at a dental hygiene bachelor's degree program in Canada..we've been in the clinic since this sept and we're already working away on our mannequin heads and dealt with probes, curettes, and explorers.

We're required to get loupes by the end of this month..our faculty wants us to get flip-ups b/c their newbie-friendly.

Orascoptics, Surgitel and Heine came to our school and presented their products. I'm leaning towards either the Surgitel Oakley 2.5x Flip-up or the Heine 2.5x flip-ups. The thing is Heine doesn't even have a representative to take our measurments and surgitel is outta my budget ($1300 before taxes!!) I like surgitel because it offered vetical adjustment for the flip-ups..but is that necessary since it's always at a fixed position for best declination angle on other brands?

I got my sister, who's a pharmD student at MWU to ask the AZ Surgitel rep..and she got quoted $1050. I've seen many of you stating getting the same Oakley's for $800-900. (Ugh, stupid Canadian price mark-ups :mad:)My sis can't buy them for me 'cause those are student pricing and she's not a Dental student. She adviced me getting those cheapy aluminum harry potter ones since I'm a newb and not worthy of nice ones yet..and perhaps sell them when I grad and get nice TTL since I'm probably gonna get them anyways. Thing is, can i sell loupes? aren't they customized to your declination angle? How come I still see people selling used ones tho? How the heck does that work?

What should I do in my case..go with Surgitel Oakley's as a newb or cheaper aluminum ones (hell, they're like ~$1000 here as well), and when i grad sell them and get a nice TTL loupes?

I'm really tight on money or I wouldn't be making this post. My budget is $1250 AFTER taxes.

and How does buying loupes online work? (going back to the deal about personalized declination angle/working distance).
You can change the declination angle on those 2.5 Heine's as well. It comes with a little plastic attachment, takes prolly 30 seconds. As far as measurements, you just need to know your interpupillary distance and you can set it yourself on the Heine's. Just FYI.

Many of my classmates got Heine flip-ups and they love them. They are a little bit cheaper than the Surgitels, so I would go with these since you are tight on money -- that is one of the reason my classmates went with these, and they ended up really liking them.

I would try and get your measurements from a different rep and then get Heine. Your working distance, angle of declination, interpupillary distance should be the same no matter which company you go with.

So you can adjust the declination angle/working distance/interpupillary distance all yourself? For interpupillary distance...you can get that # from any optician right?

So it's safe to buy it online or used? Making selling second hand loupes okay too?