dental loupes

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
So you can adjust the declination angle/working distance/interpupillary distance all yourself? For interpupillary distance...you can get that # from any optician right?

So it's safe to buy it online or used? Making selling second hand loupes okay too?

I would get these measurements from a loupes vendor since they deal with this on a day-to-day basis. I would not buy loupes online or used -- you need something brand new so it is customized to your specifications. I think it would be very unlikely to find used loupes with the same interpupillary distance, working distance, and angle of declination that you would need. For example, I am 5'6" -- I could not buy loupes from someone who is 5'10" because the working distance would likely be too long assuming the interpupillary distance is the same, which it probably wouldn't be. This means you shouldn't try selling your loupes to anyone either -- I guess you potentially get them adjusted if you bought them used from someone, but the price to buy them used, and then the cost to get them adjusted by the company... you might as well buy a brand new pair.

No magnification is better than bad magnification.

Members don't see this ad.

^ thanks for the heads up buddy:cool:
i'll just try to haggle with surgitel ..and if they wont budge

i'll go with heine

So you can adjust the declination angle/working distance/interpupillary distance all yourself? For interpupillary distance...you can get that # from any optician right?

So it's safe to buy it online or used? Making selling second hand loupes okay too?
I don't think I would ever try to buy used, but yes, you can adjust the declination angle and interpupillary distance yourself (w/Heine's). As far as working distance, NO~it depends on your height and the loupes are manufactured with different distances. I think my WD is about 22", but most of my classmates are more like 17".

If sales reps (from any company) come to your school, they should have a little gadget for measuring your IP distance, and they should have several pairs of loupes with different WD's for you to try out. You could always get this info from them and then maybe buy from Heine online? Keep in mind that what is comfortable and works for me or for your classmates may not work for you, but you also have at least a 30-day return window to work with too. Good luck!

Members don't see this ad :)
Hey everyone. I have this light and it works great for everything. Check it out. If you're interested, let me know and if you and your classmates decide to order, I can work out a deal for you guys probably in bulk. Let me know!

Here's the site:

http://ultralightoptics.com/

Hey guys

thanks for your help. I have done some research and I am wondering what you think about the sandy grendel loupes?
What kind of loupes do you advice me to get- ttl of flip up loupes?
Also, what magnification should i get?

Thanks

How can you order Heine loupes if the representative does not come to your school? Their customer service is in Germany I think. This is not facetious, but I really want to know how to get me some.

How can you order Heine loupes if the representative does not come to your school? Their customer service is in Germany I think. This is not facetious, but I really want to know how to get me some.

Call a representative. Even if they're not coming to your school that doesn't mean that they can't work something out with you. They're actually pretty nice to work with.

Followup, I emailed info<at>heine.com and a US representative emailed me within a few hours. I was curious, because the only numbers and addresses I could find were in Germany.

Im sure the have representatives in USA, as Heine representatives came to my uni in Australia.

I'm a dental student at USC and I manufacture the smallest and lightest LED loupe light in existence by far. It started out as a research project in intraoral illumination 4 years ago and has grown into a dominating product. Everyone at USC uses them. Come check it out at
http://stevens.usc.edu/read_article.php?news_id=234
www.ultralightoptics.com

Image:Smallest_loupe_light_.jpg

Weight

0.16 oz Ultralight Optics Feather Light (most comfortable)
0.5 oz Q-Optics
0.6 oz Orascoptic Apollo
0.7 oz Orascoptic Zeon
0.7 oz Surgitel
0.8 oz Sheer Vision
1.2 oz Designs for Vision

Which would you prefer on the bridge of your nose? =)

Of Loupes and Lights.

Loupes. I have Designs For Vision 3.5 expanded field loupes and I love em. Love em, love em, love em. I even love the dorky Weezerish frames. I have tried 2.5 and they dont seem all that different from no magnification. I dont say that insult my 2.5x wearing brethren, just a statement from my experience. My advice is, if you are going to drop some dough, spend a little extra and buy the 3.5x. They are enough magnification to blow things up nicely, but not soooo much that you loose the big picture.

Lights. I bought the on the Loupe light for my 3.5s. Man, that got old quick, real quick. That felt like 15 pounds of gear sitting on the bridge of my nose and after a whole day in Operative lab I had a migraine. If that Featherlite had been available, I think I would have just sold my designs for vision light and gotten that instead. My buddies at school here really like it.

Anyways, back to my light journey. So I couldn't take it anymore and told the Designs folks that I wanted the headband light. Same light, just mounted on this comfy foam/neoprene hatstrap thingy. This was nice, but then my buddy Adam noticed that the since the light was coming from a slightly different angle than the Loupe itself, there was some shadowing and stuff going on that kinda messed things up and made him miss his on the louple-light. Well, Adam is smart so what he did (and I followed suit) was to modify the headband assembly so that the light itself hung down and rested where the Loupe would be if it was attached on the light itself. This involved a short piece of metal and some washers with some black paint to make it look nice. Took about an hour, but when we where done we marveled at our handywork. To give credit, Adam invented the thing and should probably design one and patent it. It's really a pretty solid idea and I wonder why no-one else has produced one yet (maybe they have, I just dunno).

There are a few pros/cons of using the headband system for a light. One is that you look like a dork. What can you do? You have a hat/strap thingy, glasses with magnifying lenses in them, a face mask, a blue smock, rubber gloves, and a name badge with pens hanging from it. And the thing is hot. And it ruins your fohawk. However you work it, you are going to look like a spaceman to your patients.

One serious pro for the headband that sets it apart is that you can use the light even when you don't want to wear your loupes, say, just safety goggles. I do this often and it is quite handy. I guess that is only one pro, but it is a good one.

To make a long story short, my advice is: get loupes, get 3.5 expanded field loupes, and get a light on a headband with a composite shield. Loupes and lights go together like peanut butter and jelly. And dont think about the price either, it is a drop in the bucket that will enhance in dramatic fashion every clinical and pre-clinical procedure that you will do. Just shut your eyes, turn away, and hand over your credit card to the Loupe Lady (or dude). You wont regret it.

well they have 1 rep in Eastern Canada...and I'm on the WestCoast so she only comes every couple of months..

they delegated their sales to Henry Schein sales reps..pathetic i know.

Members don't see this ad :)
Does anyone have any experience with the Surgitel prismatic loupes? I'm thinking of upgrading from the 2.5x TTL to the 3.5 TTL prismatics.

Hey everyone, I have A LOT of questions about loupes and would really appreciate some advice and opinions. Most of them have to relate to TTL's vs. Flip ups.

1. For flip-ups, does the extra weight end up becoming noticable or annoying?

2. from what I noticed, the declination angle(??) or basically how far I had to move my neck was better on the flip-ups than the TTL's but the TTL's seemed to have a larger field of vision...so for clinc, which one is more important?

3- Obviously the flip-ups are more convenient than the TTL's because the mag is there when you need it and gone when you don't, but how frequently do you have to go from mag to no mag where that would even be an issue during treatment?

4- Some have advised me that flip-ups are a bad idea because if you do end up flipping them up and down constantly during a procedure, you're essentially just taking all of your patient's nastiness and bringing it way too close for to your head. Does this ever end up being an issue?

5- There seems to be a big debate between 2.5 and 3.5 EF, but what is EF and how does it work? And why not just get something in between like 3.0 instead? Does the smaller working field in the higher mag's become an issue?

6- Obviously you can't flip your lenses up on the TTL's, but how often do you have to change from that to just normal protective eyewear?

7- Is it true that for the flip-ups you're constantly having to make adjustments because the part's don't stay exactly where they were the lasat time you used them? If so, does that end up causing problems?

I think that's all I can think of for now. Thanks in advance to anyone who takes the time out to answer any or all of these questions!

I have Heine 2.5 flip-ups.

1. For flip-ups, does the extra weight end up becoming noticable or annoying? Isn't really annoying for me. I like being able to move the magnification out of the way when I'm in simlab. I seriously move them up and down a lot, very handy. As far as the weight tho, I did try on one of my classmates Surgitel TTL's today, and I was really surprised at how light they are - could hardly feel 'em!

2. from what I noticed, the declination angle(??) or basically how far I had to move my neck was better on the flip-ups than the TTL's but the TTL's seemed to have a larger field of vision...so for clinc, which one is more important? I don't think the differences in field of vision are that varied between flips and TTL's. The declination on my Heine's is sufficient, but they came with an extra adaptor that allows for even greater declination.

3- Obviously the flip-ups are more convenient than the TTL's because the mag is there when you need it and gone when you don't, but how frequently do you have to go from mag to no mag where that would even be an issue during treatment? I can't speak for treatment, as I'm still a D1, but I flip the mags up constantly.

4- Some have advised me that flip-ups are a bad idea because if you do end up flipping them up and down constantly during a procedure, you're essentially just taking all of your patient's nastiness and bringing it way too close for to your head. Does this ever end up being an issue? I doubt this would be an issue. I mean, you wouldn't move the TTL loupes off your head with nasty gloves, why would you bother flipping up the mag in the same scenario? (By the way, the Heine's have a little plastic piece you can put on that makes it easy to flip the mag up and down with the back of your hand. Other flips probably have a similar device).

7- Is it true that for the flip-ups you're constantly having to make adjustments because the part's don't stay exactly where they were the lasat time you used them? If so, does that end up causing problems? I heard this a lot about Heine's, but lately I've been using mine for several hours per day and haven't had to worry about adjusting them. IF they did get loose tho, it's pretty simple to adjust them back into place.

Hope that helps.

Thanks! That definitely helps. Any other opinions...preferably from those who use loupes in clinic?

Hello does anyone has for sale Surgitel or Heine Binocular loupes 2.5 or 3x
Thanks

I'm a dental student at USC and I manufacture the smallest and lightest LED loupe light in existence by far. It started out as a research project in intraoral illumination 4 years ago and has grown into a dominating product. Everyone at USC uses them. Come check it out at
http://stevens.usc.edu/read_article.php?news_id=234
www.ultralightoptics.com

Image:Smallest_loupe_light_.jpg

Weight

0.16 oz Ultralight Optics Feather Light (most comfortable)
0.5 oz Q-Optics
0.6 oz Orascoptic Apollo
0.7 oz Orascoptic Zeon
0.7 oz Surgitel
0.8 oz Sheer Vision
1.2 oz Designs for Vision

Which would you prefer on the bridge of your nose? =)

While that sounds good, has anybody tried this?

I'll definitely need light for the coming September.

Now, I am playing with the idea of switching up from a 2.5 to 3.5. I LOVED the 2.5 when I first got them, but the truth is, I'm used to it now and I want more..haha. (I sound like a junkie). Has anybody done this? Would you send in your old loupes and they'll refit new lenses? Is it worth it?

While that sounds good, has anybody tried this?

I'll definitely need light for the coming September.

Now, I am playing with the idea of switching up from a 2.5 to 3.5. I LOVED the 2.5 when I first got them, but the truth is, I'm used to it now and I want more..haha. (I sound like a junkie). Has anybody done this? Would you send in your old loupes and they'll refit new lenses? Is it worth it?
I've got the Ultralight Optics light and I love it! I actually did a couple group buys for my school and we've ordered just about 50 lights total. Best light on the market.

To make a long story short, my advice is: get loupes, get 3.5 expanded field loupes, and get a light on a headband with a composite shield. Loupes and lights go together like peanut butter and jelly. And dont think about the price either, it is a drop in the bucket that will enhance in dramatic fashion every clinical and pre-clinical procedure that you will do. Just shut your eyes, turn away, and hand over your credit card to the Loupe Lady (or dude). You wont regret it.

Good story, I've gone through two sets of loupes (our school made us buy Surgitel flipups) and tried on multiple others from classmates and at Yankee, Orascoptic, Periscoptic, Surgitel, Designs for Vision, Zeiss. My ultimate choice was the same as yours...Buddy Holly 3.5X EF.

Simply the best! BTW, I started with the Daylite standard light (bright as hell but heavy), tried a featherlite from a classmate (purple, dim, and feels cheap), then tried another light (Lumadent), and finally returned all and settled on the DFV MINI Daylite. Enough light for endo IMO w/o the weight. I weighed all of them on a gram scale and honestly you're not going to notice much of a difference between the ultralight/featherlite and the Mini. Not to mention the added light from the Mini, quality, and lower price with a student discount combo beats out all the other IMO. I wanted to try the Orascoptic Discovery, but couldn't cough up the plastic for the trial.

I've got the Ultralight Optics light and I love it! I actually did a couple group buys for my school and we've ordered just about 50 lights total. Best light on the market.

I have it too, and it's the straight bomb. If you want to use it in situations where you might not be wearing loupes,but want illumination (Say, hmmmmm, oral surgery?), they also sell an adapter that you can attach to any pair of safety glasses.

Also, the light appears to be invulnerable to damage and/or wear. I'm guessing it's made from some kind of material mined from alien spacecraft wreckage or the forges of Sammath Naur.

I have it too, and it's the straight bomb. If you want to use it in situations where you might not be wearing loupes,but want illumination (Say, hmmmmm, oral surgery?), they also sell an adapter that you can attach to any pair of safety glasses.

Also, the light appears to be invulnerable to damage and/or wear. I'm guessing it's made from some kind of material mined from alien spacecraft wreckage or the forges of Sammath Naur.
Lol. Everybody knows it's made from Adamantium.