dental medicaid info

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

howui3

1K Member
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Do you guys have any links to articles about dental Medicaid or any other dental related issues that could potentially come up at an interview?

Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

howui3 said:
Do you guys have any links to articles about dental Medicaid or any other dental related issues that could potentially come up at an interview?

Thanks.
Google NC Dental Society, that website has good info, of course that's NC specific. Also, check out the ADA's website as there is some good info on there, but it is sort of difficult to find.

Don't bother reading up on Medicaid, if asked a question about it, the correct answer is: "Yes of course I plan on accepting Medicaid, I love helping underprivileged children and it doesn't bother me at all that my schedule will be completely overwhelmed with Medicaid patients and I will be working myself to death to see them all and actually losing money on each one."

Here's a few fun little facts about medicaid for you: in my state, you'll be lucky to get 50% of your regular fees for medicaid patients despite the fact that 70% of your fees for a normal procedure would go to cover overhead costs, meaning you are losing a considerable amount of money to see each patient. Also, because so few dentists are providers, if you sign up, your schedule is going to be so packed with medicaid patients that you won't have time to see any of your regular patients....which coincidently means you won't be making any money. In my humble opinion, if the government is not going to raise reimbursements at least to a level that will allow us to cover our costs, then we are under no obligation to accept medicaid. If you are going to try and help the poor, provide free treatment for a few people or go volunteer at the local free clinic...don't accept substandard government reimbursements that will force you to provide low quality work and will destroy your practice.

Members don't see this ad :)
HermeytheElf said:
Don't bother reading up on Medicaid, if asked a question about it, the correct answer is: "Yes of course I plan on accepting Medicaid, I love helping underprivileged children and it doesn't bother me at all that my schedule will be completely overwhelmed with Medicaid patients and I will be working myself to death to see them all and actually losing money on each one."

Here's a few fun little facts about medicaid for you: in my state, you'll be lucky to get 50% of your regular fees for medicaid patients despite the fact that 70% of your fees for a normal procedure would go to cover overhead costs, meaning you are losing a considerable amount of money to see each patient. Also, because so few dentists are providers, if you sign up, your schedule is going to be so packed with medicaid patients that you won't have time to see any of your regular patients....which coincidently means you won't be making any money. In my humble opinion, if the government is not going to raise reimbursements at least to a level that will allow us to cover our costs, then we are under no obligation to accept medicaid. If you are going to try and help the poor, provide free treatment for a few people or go volunteer at the local free clinic...don't accept substandard government reimbursements that will force you to provide low quality work and will destroy your practice.

I need info from the patients side not the dentists for question like how can you imporove the system. So to answer that you need to know more then the amount of money the pay to the provider.

HermeytheElf said:

can you just raise the costs for medicaid patients? people with medicaid have to pay double or just raise the costs and give more discounts to the patients without medicaid. is this illegal to do?

issa said:
can you just raise the costs for medicaid patients? people with medicaid have to pay double or just raise the costs and give more discounts to the patients without medicaid. is this illegal to do?

From what I understand, and granted I know very little about this subject, medicaid sets the price for the various proceedures and they would pay any more than that. One of the dentists I shadowed just raised his prices and he had to get it his price list cleared with the insurance companies, because now they are having to pay a little bit more. I'm not sure on the details of how this was done or why, if any one knows more about this subject I'd be interested to learn.

If they DO ask about Medicaid, along with saying that you want to help people and would take them regardless, be prepraed for them to say "well, what if you do something that Medicaid simply won't pay for or these patients overload your high-paying patients?" One of my interviewers asked me this, and I could tell he was pushing me to answer and answer until I finally said that I'd try to change it with my legislatures. They love hearing that you'd take an active part in public health reform!

Also, it's good to ask each school what that state's Medicaid procedures are...it makes a big difference for what sorts of procedures you'll get the post practice with.

HermeytheElf said:
... "Yes of course I plan on accepting Medicaid, I love helping underprivileged children and it doesn't bother me at all that my schedule will be completely overwhelmed with Medicaid patients...."
"....even though they bring all their aunts, grandmothers, and the neighbors kids to fill up the waiting room so my paying patients can't even sit down."

HermeytheElf said:

I believe a dentist can limit the number of medicaid patients he/she agrees to accept, I know this is true in NC. So, you can treat some medicaid patients without cutting out all of your non-medicaid patients. However, once you agree to treat a medicaid patient, you must provide all services that you provide to non-medicaid patients.