Dental office design

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Chemboy23

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Does anyone know of a type of software online that lets you design your own dental office layout? Thanks for any help in advance.

-Scott

Members don't see this ad.

Does anyone know of a type of software online that lets you design your own dental office layout? Thanks for any help in advance.

-Scott

Most of the big dental supply companies will be more than happy to design the layout of the interior of your office for you when it's time to do so. And very, very, very often it's a free service to you.

Plus, having been through a big addition and a couple of renovations to my office over the years, I'm starting to realize (and accept) that the office design folks that work for the supply companies tend to have much better (and more efficient) ideas for the design of an affice's interior than I do myself :rolleyes:

DrJeff, thanks so much for your input. I am currently in the interview process for dental school, so it's probably a little premature at this stage to be worried about this...but I'm just really excited about this. It's what I've worked so hard for and just getting an interview and meeting D4s and such around the school (Loma Linda) was very exciting.

I hear you about the design, I think that's probably what I will end up doing as well. What you've said makes perfect sense.

Do you think it's a good idea to open a practice right after school? I've heard many different suggestions like buying a practice from a current dentist who is within a year of retirement, doing a year or so of associateship, etc...The problem I will be faced with is that I want to practice back home in Mississippi, but I will owe tons of money in student loans if you compare it to the average income of a dentist there. I was doing some research the other day and found where there are some government-funded incentives to serve in "underrepresented" areas and there are quite a few in MS. Do you know of any programs (apart from the military) that offer significant incentives? Sorry about all the questions, but I think it's a good idea to ask someone with firsthand experience.

I worked for a dentist in private practice (in the later stage of his career, he's now retired) and he kept insisting on not worrying about paying the school loans off until you finish school. Well, that's certainly what I'd love to do...but it's a little different when you're facing 300k+ in debt straight out of school, on top of what you spend on a practice, and the list goes on and on.

Thanks so much for your information in advance!!! Have a wonderful day!

Members don't see this ad :)
First, is the frame of the furniture. How well is it put together? How much weight will it support without straining? As our society becomes heavier, the old standards are being tested and not all manufacturers assemble their pieces to guarantee rigidity and longevity.
Second, is the finish. Is the finish colorfast? How well will it resist scuffs, moisture, and chips? Again, not all manufacturers guarantee their products. For the abuse that a waiting room receives, choosing a manufacturer that offers a life time guarantee is a sound investment.
Lastly, but certainly not the least, is the fabric itself. The Association for Contract Textiles (ACT) has set standards for measuring the performance of textiles used in commercial settings. These measure flammability, wet & dry crocking (measures a fabric's colorfastness), ultra-violet light resistance (measures a fabric's resistance to fading), physical properties (measures a fabric's resistance to pilling, seam slippage, and tearing), and abrasion (a fabric's resistance to wear from rubbing). Fabrics used in commercial furniture typically exceed all minimum standards set by ACT. Those used in residential furniture may or may not.
So, after running the length of the field in planning and executing your new dental office design, don't stop short of the goal line by deciding to save a few bucks with residential or office supply discount furniture. Protect the investment you've made in your office design, branding image, and the furniture itself by choosing commercial furniture with a lifetime guarantee.
James is a regular lecturer and writer on dental office design, green design, and interior branding and also serves as an Adjunct Instructor in the interior design department at The Art Institute of Indianapolis. With offices in Dallas, Indianapolis, New York, and Wisconsin, James is on the road regularly meeting with clients and speaking with dentists about their design needs. His work has been featured in Building Excellence in Design and Construction, Indianapolis Woman, Metropolis, Metropolitan Home, Home Decor Buyer, Elle Decor, Indianapolis Monthly, Indianapolis Home, Shelter, and The Columbian.