Dental Post-Bac Advice?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

michellech

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I only recently became interested in pre-dent, but I will finish my degree in biochem this fall (GPA 3.4). I have lots of research experience, but my pre-req course grades aren't super. There seems to be a lot of post-bac advice for pre-med, but not for pre-dent.

I'd like to take some grad or higher level coursework to enrich my application. Does anyone have some solid advice for me? Which courses? How many? Can I do this unstructured, or is a formal program best? What are my odds?

Members don't see this ad.

I mean as of now your GPA can get you interviews for dental school, but if you want to take post-bac, it's practically the same type of classes you wanna take to prep for med school. You can do unstructured and that's up to you, but I have a friend who's doing an unstructured program, which allows him to take classes he wants to take for the most part.

Also. do well on the DAT. then you should be fine :]

You probably have a lot of chem classes under your belt, so you could probably use a couple upper-level bios. The drawback is that post-bac courses aren't eligible to be covered by financial aid. Some people at my school were able to declare themselves a "second degree
seeking student" and get aid.