Dental post-bac programs??

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

faith615

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi guys:

I haven't gotten any interviews yet and I am freaking out. So, I am considering dental post-bac programs, does anybody know anything about it? I can't even find a list of all the dental post bac programs online. Thanks !!!!

Members don't see this ad.

Yes there are close to a billion threads on this. If you're in the midwest I have some recommendations for you. I am in a post-grad program now, so PM me if you have any questions.

Members don't see this ad :)
Tufts is the only one I know of with a direct linkage to dental school (tufts dental only). But that's meant for people who haven't taken the sciences yet, not for remedial work. Just take classes at your local state school.

I hope you get some repsonses!

But if you don't and if you do choose to go to a post-baccalaureate program there are a lot of choices. I haven't gotten into a program myself (yet), but I've been doing a lot of research into them and I've found that at least the ones I've looked into (Harvard, Penn, Columbia, U of Texas - Dallas) support pre-dental students. In my experience, most of the post bacc. programs' websites will show their focus on medical school prepartion, but after emailing a few of the schools I listed above I get the impression that most programs can work just as well for pre-dental study. The only thing that might be missing at most schools is the linkages to dental schools.

In my opinion you can probably do any post-bacc. program for dental school preparation, but I'd double-check with the program before you make any moves. Email them through their contact page. Good luck!

I just realized that you might be talking about retaking classes or doing a Specialized Masters Program (SMP). Everything I wrote above was geared towards programs where you can take your prerequisites for dental school. I don't know much of anything about the SMP's myself, but there are plenty of threads on the board devoted to it. Do a forum search. As for retaking classes, some of the post baccalaureate programs allow it, while others only allow you entrance if you've only take a few or even none of them. That's another thing to check up on with each program. I know that the more 'premium' programs like Bryn Mawr, Goucher and John Hopkins have strict rules on whether or not you can retake any of the science courses if you've already taken them. One of those three doesn't let you retake ANY of the courses, no exceptions. I can't remember which one it is off of the top of my head though!

Could have sworn Boston University's MAMS program had a dental version. This is really cool because it's geared for pre-dents and lets you take some dental school classes. Still, any SMP will work, including at DO schools.