Dental Pre-Reqs At Community College?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

TONItheSURFER

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
freshman student at local community college looking to transfer in 2 to 3 years to UCLA, UCSB, or UCD. many people advice me to start taking my pre-reqs at community college as soon as possible. many also tell me to take them when i transfer (which isn't possible bc to transfer i need to do some pre-reqs for my major ((bio)). many also tell me to take some at community college and take some at four years. what do you think? and why? :confused: thanks in advance..

Members don't see this ad.

I took all my prereqs at a CC after I graduated with a BS. I think as long as you do it good it should be fine.

freshman student at local community college looking to transfer in 2 to 3 years to UCLA, UCSB, or UCD. many people advice me to start taking my pre-reqs at community college as soon as possible. many also tell me to take them when i transfer (which isn't possible bc to transfer i need to do some pre-reqs for my major ((bio)). many also tell me to take some at community college and take some at four years. what do you think? and why? :confused: thanks in advance..

Just do whatever you think is better. But if i were you, I will only stay at a CC for one year and transfer right away. Try to avoid spending your college life at a CC.

Members don't see this ad :)
I would try and limit yourself to just one series like bio or gen chem. Probably gen chem because then you would be prepped for orgo. Anymore than that and adcoms may see your app as less than would be the case had you done all prereqs at a four year. That is just how I feel about it.

I am presently at a cc because I wanted to go into hygiene but after doing 40 hours of observation I realized that dentistry was a better fit. As far as science classes go I have only taken A&P at the cc so basically all of my science will be will be taken at a university when I transfer next year. I am also 24 y/o and my past performance which was more than 3 years ago was less than stellar. I had a lot of W's and one semester that I filed academic bankruptcy on because I didn't withdrawl and got F's. My performance this year has improved as I am confident that I will have a 4.0 for the 06-07 year and an overall 3.6 GPA when I leave the cc but I am worried about the past haunting me. How will this work when I apply to dental school because I will have to send transcripts from the cc as well as the university? Will keeping a high GPA at the university be enough to make up for the past?
Thanks for the input.
-optimistic non-trad

I started off at a CC, took all of my pre-reqs at the CC, then transfered to one of the UC's and finished up my B.S. in Chemistry. Now I am almost done with my M.S. in Chemistry, and I have 3 interviews. So you can get interviews if you go to a CC, but there are some schools that you can't apply to. My advice is get as many classes you can out of the way at the CC, then take as many upper division sciences classes after you transfer. Then you might have to wait until after you graduate to apply to dental school. The Dental schools will want to see how well you do at a 4 year university after you transfer from a CC, and only having 1 year at a 4 year school usually isn't enough for them to really grant you to an interview, but after you graduate they would be more inclined to grant to a interview. Just a thought.