Dental Rock Star: Smashin' the DAT

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Rockstar123

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello everyone,

I took the DAT on August 6th, 2013 and received a rockin' score. I estimate that I studied roughly 650 hours for this DAT. A healthy attitude can do wonders in helping you put in the study hours necessary to upgrade your scores.

My Scores
PAT: 21 (87.9%)
Quantitative Reasoning: 27 (99.7%)
Reading Comprehension: 28 (99.7%)
Biology: 30 (100.0%)
General Chemistry: 29 (99.7%)
Organic Chemistry: 27 (98.7%)
Total Science: 30 (100.0%)
Academic Average: 28 (100.0%)

Bear in mind that scores this high are totally unnecessary for admittance to dental school.

Section I: Studying Advice

1) DAT Destroyer: The DAT Destroyer was solid stuff. We’re talkin’ good-to-go study material. I highly recommend Dr. Romano’s work.

2) My DAT Golden Rule: Every additional hour of studying is guaranteed to make a positive impact. Take easy college classes. Use the extra time to read through a DAT book. You'll feel better that way.

3) Using Your Computer: It is inevitable that at some point you will use a computer to study for this test. Wasting time and surfing the web can totally screw you over. To get a high DAT score, I’d recommend you take protective measures. For example, you can install time-saving protection software such as 1) K9 Web Protection AND 2) Rescue Time AND 3) Covenant Eyes Internet Accountability.

There are other computer filters out there. These are merely the ones that I used to deliver some crazy DAT studying.

4) Unplug Your TV: Every minute of TV equals one less minute of DAT studying. I’d recommend you unplug your television and ban TV from your laptop using K9 Web Protection. If you want to have fun, do something else such as baking a cake, playing sports, or calling up a friend.

5) Sample Test: You can monitor your progress using practice tests. Get a full night's sleep before the practice tests to ensure the scores will be most accurate. You can compare your practice scores to the real test by searching Student Doctor Network to see how other students' scores compared.

6) Ask Others (especially if they're experts): It's always nice to get the advice of others. Especially of people who did well. So if you ever meet anyone who did gorgeously well on the DAT, ask them about what differentiated their study habits from everyone else. (If you bump into insanely strong MCAT people, speak to them as well.)

Section II: Advice for Test Week

1) Test Week: Get loads of sleep in the nights leading up to the test. Also, the day right before the test, I personally did almost no studying. Instead, I spent that day relaxing and mentally visualizing myself destroying the DAT on the following day.

3) Spit 'em Up: As of August 2013, the testing center gives students two non-erasable laminated papers for scrap paper. These "non-erasable" laminated papers erase easily in water. Use saliva to erase anything you need to. (The DAT may have changed their materials since I took the test, so check online if this tip is still up-to-date.)

4) Timing: All questions are worth equal amounts. If you’re worried about running out of time, then skip any difficult questions and just do the easy ones. You can go back at the end. This tip is especially relevant for the Math, as nearly everyone runs out of time in that section.

Section III: Concluding Thoughts

So what differentiated me from everyone else? I began studying way earlier and spent way more time in total. (Think easy college classes, more free time. Always choose the easiest college professors you can.)

I began studying two years in advance and spent two summers in a row studying. (I wanted to take the test after my first summer, but was doing badly on practice tests, so I pushed it off a year. Worked out well.)

Story Time: Someone once asked me why I bothered to spend so much time studying. They took one look at my final score and said something like, "You must be a super genius. Why'd you start studying so much in advance and for so long?"

I said, "No, I actually have just a 3.6 GPA. I can't just go ahead and ace a test. I did so well on the DAT precisely because I started studying so far in advance for so long. (And because I've got all these computer filters so I don't waste time.)"

The sky's the limit. I believe that it’s conceivable for a student to get perfect 30s across the board. Straight 30s would just be the result of an exceptionally motivated student who started studying insanely early and did tons and tons of studying.

Rock on fellow dental students. Believe in yourself, study hard, and get that awesome DAT score.

Members don't see this ad.

Attachments

• Score Report.pdf
    114.9 KB · Views: 453
Last edited:
Reactions: 3 users
Hey there Dudes and Dudettes,

I just took the DAT on August 6th, 2013 and received a rockin' score. These scores are extremely rare. Don't be intimidated, you definitely do not need scores this high to get an acceptance letter.

This post contains my best advice so that you can also obliterate the DAT. I'd highly recommend printing out the advice in this post and pasting them in the front page of your DAT books.

SECTION I: STUDYING ADVICE

1) DAT DESTROYER: The DAT Destroyer was a total rocker. We're talkin' seriously awesome study material. Make sure you study the Destroyer most thoroughly.

2) THE DAT GOLDEN RULE: Every additional hour of studying is guaranteed to make a positive impact!!! This Golden Rule applies to everyone and in all situations!!! (I personally estimate that every additional 100 hours of DAT studying will yield an average increase of 2 points in EACH of the six sections.)

3) USING YOUR COMPUTER: It is practically inevitable that at some point you will use a computer to study for this test. Surfing the web and wasting time on the computer will totally screw you over!!! I'm being totally serious - the computer can mess you up big time!!! To get a high DAT score, you MUST take protective measures.
Install time-saving protection programs such as 1) K9 Web Protection AND 2) Rescue Time AND 3) Covenant Eyes Internet Accountability.

There are other computer filters out there. These are merely the three that I used to knock out some rockin' DAT studying. I cannot emphasize enough the importance of these programs. They will single-handedly launch your DAT score up to the skies!!! Not installing these programs is one of the STUPIDEST things you can do to screw over your DAT scores.

(K9 Web Protection will also block YouTube videos. Watching YouTube videos can be helpful when learning some materials for the DAT. To watch them, you will simply have to use a different computer. This may be a hassle, but believe me, it's worth it. K9 will rocket up your DAT Score!)

4) SAMPLE TEST: Take a sample test under testing conditions about a week before your actual testing date. If you're not happy with your practice score, postpone your testing date. Then use the Golden Rule to boost up your scores.

SECTION II: ADVICE FOR ACTUAL TESTING DAY
Read this section the day before your actual DAT.

1) SLEEP: Get many hours of sleep the night before. (Aim for TEN HOURS of sleep.)

2) COFFEE: Bring TWO caffeinated drinks to the testing center. Drink one right before you begin. Drink the second during your 15 minute break.

3) SPIT 'EM UP: As of August 2013, the testing center gives students two non-erasable laminated papers for scrap paper. These "non-erasable" laminated papers erase easily in water. Use saliva or armpit sweat to erase anything you need to. This tip will be VERY IMPORTANT for the Math Section. (The DAT may have changed their materials since I took the test, so check online if this tip is still up-to-date.)

4) SKIP THE HARD ONES: Most students do not have time to finish all the math problems. All points in the math section are worth equal amounts. Skip any difficult math questions and just do the easy ones. When you finish the test, go back and do the hard problems. (This tip applies to all the other sections as well, i.e. Sciences, PAT, and Reading. Use this tip for all six sections. I specifically mentioned the Math as that is the section in which nearly everyone runs out of time.)

SECTION III: CONCLUDING THOUGHTS

I cannot reiterate enough the importance of the Golden Rule: Every additional hour of studying is guaranteed to make a positive impact!!!
The Golden Rule enabled me to achieve such a rare score. I estimate that I spent roughly 650 hours studying exclusively for this test. I'm pretty smart, but I sure as heck ain't no super genius. My rockin' DAT score was more likely the result of about 650 hours of exclusive DAT studying. (I spent two summers in a row studying for this DAT. The 650 hours came from those two summers.)

In conclusion, you'll notice that I've mentioned nearly nothing about how you should study or what materials to use. That was left out on purpose. I believe your score on the DAT won't be determined by which study materials you buy, rather your score will be based on how much time you actually spend studying them! I do not have any tips in regards to how you should study. The only advice I can give in regards to studying is to simply repeat the Golden Rule: Every additional hour of studying is guaranteed to make a positive impact!!! Heck, I'd even recommend you print out multiple copies of The Golden Rule and sprinkle them around your bedroom and in each of your DAT Books.

Remember: The Sky's the Limit! I believe that it's very conceivable for a student to get perfect 30s across the board. Straight 30s would just be the result of an exceptionally motivated student who did TONS and TONS of studying.

Rock on fellow dental students!!! Study hard and get that rockin' score.
Rock on dude/dudette.:love:

:thumbup:

Reactions: 1 user
WOW!!!! These scores are out of this world!!

Do you mind sharing all of the resources you used? I'm sure others would find it very useful if you did. :)

Members don't see this ad :)
I used the DAT Destroyer, my college textbooks, and several other DAT resources. When you spend 650 hours of studying, you can go through a ton of material.

Last edited:
That's quite an example to follow. I did not study nearly as much as you, so I'm both astounded and impressed by your determination, and really glad that it payed off for you.

One thing I've got to say though, to anyone still studying for the DAT: based on my experience, practice tests underestimate your potential score. Even if they're similar in difficulty to the real DAT, they are graded at least a few points lower. I was getting 20-21 average on TopScore or Kaplan the week leading up to my DAT, but came out with a 25 on the real thing. My biggest regret is being extremely nervous during the test because of my practice scores. Those of you who don't have the time to postpone your DAT, don't be discouraged if your practice scores are a quite a bit lower than what you expect; and if you only have a short time to study, it can still be done, as long as you know yourself well and focus on the important points.

I can also vouch for the Destroyer. That plus Cliff's AP Bio and general knowledge acquired in Bio classes over the years got me a 30 on the Bio, although I could have used a little something more for Chem, maybe Chad's based on all the things I've been hearing about it.

I see a few requests asking about which resources which I used. I'm going to decline the request because I honestly don't think it was the materials I used that got me that freakin' awesome DAT score. Rather, my scores were the result of the HUGE amount of time I spent studying those materials.

Here's the proof. I spent two summers in a row studying for this test. I spent about 300 hours the first summer. Based on my scores from practice tests, I estimated I would have recieved about a 21 had I taken the test after that first summer. I wasn't satisfied with these scores, so I canceled my testing date. (Yes, I paid the hundreds of dollars to take the test and still canceled my testing date anyways.) I then waited a year, studied one more summer for about 350 hours, and ended up with a score way higher than I would have even dreamed of the first year.

I am certain my score was not based on which materials I used, but was rather due to the huge amount of time I spent studying them. That being said, of all materials I used, I thought the DAT Destroyer was pretty darn good stuff.

I also took a course my second summer in Staten Island, New York taught by Dr. Romano, author of the DAT Destroyer. That course was a total blast and I highly recommend it to anyone who lives near to Staten Island,

Awesome scores indeed, but I have to disagree about the materials part. I think what you study with is extremely important. No matter how much time you put into it, if the source is crappy, it's a complete waste of time. While I performed fairly well on the DAT, I am 100% sure that spending endless hours practicing with Crack DAT Science did not contribute to my DAT score at all. If I had to do it all over again, I'd use Qvault, Bootcamp, Topscore, and Achiever for sure. Anyway, great score and it'd be very helpful for a lot of people if you share "what" and "how" you studied. Peace ;)

Beast scores, but two summers and 650 hours of prep: why?

With your game time abilities, I contend that you could have cut your prep time by 50-75% and still landed in the mid-twenties.

I mean, it's not like you'll have all kinds of dedicated time to prep for the boards.

You should make sure to mention in your interviews that your humility and modesty are two of your greatest strengths. A lot of other people post the resources they have used in order to help others, and I think that with scores like that you would want to help other people who share the same dream as you. Props to @Glimmer1991 who goes out of her way to help everyone who is taking the dat.

Reactions: 2 users
You owned this test dude. Great job.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk

Members don't see this ad :)
Today (November 17th, 2013), I edited both my original DAT post and my later comment. Many of the previous comments may no longer apply.

How much do you know about CrackDat and Feralis notes for bio? Will they help in addition to Destroyer and Kaplan?

That's quite an example to follow. I did not study nearly as much as you, so I'm both astounded and impressed by your determination, and really glad that it payed off for you.

One thing I've got to say though, to anyone still studying for the DAT: based on my experience, practice tests underestimate your potential score. Even if they're similar in difficulty to the real DAT, they are graded at least a few points lower. I was getting 20-21 average on TopScore or Kaplan the week leading up to my DAT, but came out with a 25 on the real thing. My biggest regret is being extremely nervous during the test because of my practice scores. Those of you who don't have the time to postpone your DAT, don't be discouraged if your practice scores are a quite a bit lower than what you expect; and if you only have a short time to study, it can still be done, as long as you know yourself well and focus on the important points.

I can also vouch for the Destroyer. That plus Cliff's AP Bio and general knowledge acquired in Bio classes over the years got me a 30 on the Bio, although I could have used a little something more for Chem, maybe Chad's based on all the things I've been hearing about it.

I personally can think of only two reason why your practice scores would be lower than the real DAT: 1) Some testing programs are purposely harder than the actual DAT. 2) You're taking your practice tests under bad conditions, i.e. lack of sleep, no breakfast.

I think Kaplan and Topscore are supposed to be like the real thing. Yet you say you were getting 20-21 on their practice tests the week leading up to the DAT but came out with a 25 on the real thing. @tomriddle What was your sleep schedule like when you were taking those practice tests? Is it possible it was significantly less hours of sleep than when you took your actual DAT?

Beast scores, but two summers and 650 hours of prep: why?

With your game time abilities, I contend that you could have cut your prep time by 50-75% and still landed in the mid-twenties.

I mean, it's not like you'll have all kinds of dedicated time to prep for the boards.

I personally disagree. I think the two summers and 650 hours of prep were ESSENTIAL to my getting such an awesome score. I'm not sure what you mean by my game time abilities. I view my intelligence level to be more-or-less on the same playing field as everyone else. I personally feel what set me apart was the massive amounts of time I spent studying. Those many hours pouring over my DAT textbooks is what enabled me to master the material in time for my DAT. In my opinion, more hours of studying always lead to a better mastery of the material.

Also, I do think I will have all kinds of dedicated time to prep for the boards. I'll simply start studying earlier and harder for them. If I begin studying for my boards months before everyone else, then I WILL have all kinds of dedicated time to prep for the boards.

Any tips for dominating the organic and math section? I'm trying to improve these scores.

I'm really sorry, nothing really comes to my mind. Here's what I did for all Sciences and Math: I went through all DAT Destroyer/ Math Destroyer questions. Read through all questions + answer explanations. I would mark off every question in which I didn't understand something, whether in the question or answer choice. After finishing the book, I would review all the questions and answers that I marked off. I did the same when going through the other DAT resources such as Qvault and Bootcamp.

As good as this strategy is, I really think it all comes down to how much time you put into mastering the materials. When I first tried the Math Destroyer, I was totally perplexed by just about every question. Since first getting the Math Destroyer, I'd say I spent at least 60 hours going through the questions. Doing so enabled me to go through the Math Destroyer three times which led me to mastering the Math section. The same goes with Organic Chemistry. The more time you spend reading over organic reagents, the better you'll know them.

I'm sorry, because I know I don't really have any specific helpful tips. This is just all I can think of.

I wonder if he got in...

@Rockstar123 so?

Sorry man, but I don't feel like stating whether or not I got accepted. I really don't think its of any value cause that Temple video was nowhere near my whole application. There were quite a few other things both for and against me. The stuff going for me would have been my DAT scores, GPA, and extracurriculars. The stuff going against me will remain a mystery cause I prefer not to mention it. Seriously, that video was not my whole application.

How much do you know about CrackDat and Feralis notes for bio? Will they help in addition to Destroyer and Kaplan?

No idea. Didn't use either CrackDat or Feralis' notes. To check their effectiveness, just search them up on SDN. See what other people on SDN say about them.

Hey there fellow Dudes and Dudettes,

3) Spit 'em Up: As of August 2013, the testing center gives students two non-erasable laminated papers for scrap paper. These "non-erasable" laminated papers erase easily in water. Use saliva or armpit sweat to erase anything you need to. (The DAT may have changed their materials since I took the test, so check online if this tip is still up-to-date.)

quoted from original post

Well done on your scores, but dang dude, this kinda grosses me out lol. You know you can just take your laminated sheets out to them if you use up all the space and they'll clean them for you or swap them out for new ones.

Well done on your scores, but dang dude, this kinda grosses me out lol. You know you can just take your laminated sheets out to them if you use up all the space and they'll clean them for you or swap them out for new ones.
Can you give me an example bio question that showed up on the dat? Lastly is the dat much easier than the MCAT?

Perhaps, but I think using your own saliva saves you the time of having to get up from your chair. Besides, it makes for quite a cool story. Imagine... "How on earth did you get such a high math score?" "Well, sir, I had an advantage. See, I was real good at lobbing massive spitballs over my whole sheet, then using my palm to wipe it all clean... Hey, want me to show you?":soexcited:

Can you give me an example bio question that showed up on the dat? Lastly is the dat much easier than the MCAT?
The DAT is copyrighted so there's no way I'm gonna post up any of the actual questions I received. If you want to get sample questions, just look at any practice test. For example, Bootcamp, Kaplan, or the other testing programs. They're similar to the real thing. Also, I never took the MCAT so I have no idea which is easier.

The DAT is copyrighted so there's no way I'm gonna post up any of the actual questions I received. If you want to get sample questions, just look at any practice test. For example, Bootcamp, Kaplan, or the other testing programs. They're similar to the real thing. Also, I never took the MCAT so I have no idea which is easier.

Hey! Fantastic scores there! If you had to pick ONE resource that was the highest yield for you, what would it be? I KNOW the time you spend studying the materials is more important, but I'm short on time so I'd like to know which one do you think was the most helpful :)

Thanks in advance!

How many true and false questions you got in the bio section? And plus were there questions that have E) All are true like the destroyer questions?

Hey! Fantastic scores there! If you had to pick ONE resource that was the highest yield for you, what would it be? I KNOW the time you spend studying the materials is more important, but I'm short on time so I'd like to know which one do you think was the most helpful :)

Thanks in advance!

If you're short on time, use Kaplan because its the shortest of all the DAT study guides. If you have more time, then I'd recommend going through Cliff's AP bio, the Destroyer for chem, orgo and math, and DAT Bootcamp for PAT. Normally I'd also recommend Destroyer for Bio, but its bio section is lengthy and might not be a good idea if you're short on time.

How many true and false questions you got in the bio section? And plus were there questions that have E) All are true like the destroyer questions?
I took the DAT a few months ago and no longer remember.
If the Destroyer lists something like, "all the above are true," then make sure you know all of them. If its listed in the Destroyer, then those true facts are good biology info to know for your DAT.

Hey there fellow Dudes and Dudettes,

I took the DAT on August 6th, 2013 and received a rockin' score. I estimate that I studied roughly 650 hours for this DAT. Without those many hours of studying, I never would have been able to score so high. There’s a lot to be said for your mindset. You must be absolutely determined to do whatever it takes to do well. A healthy attitude can do wonders in helping you put in the study hours necessary to upgrade your scores.

My Scores

Bear in mind that these scores are not necessary for admittance to dental school. The average acceptance score to dental school is significantly lower than those posted above.

1) DAT Destroyer: The DAT Destroyer was solid stuff. We’re talkin’ good-to-go study material. I highly recommend Dr. Romano’s work.

2) My DAT Golden Rule: Every additional hour of studying is guaranteed to make a positive impact. I feel that every 100 hours of studying ought to yield an average increase of 1-2 points in each of the six sections.

3) Using Your Computer: It is practically inevitable that at some point you will use a computer to study for this test. Wasting time by surfing the web can potentially lower your DAT score. I'm serious - the computer can totally screw you over. To get a high DAT score, I’d recommend you take protective measures. For example, you can install time-saving protection software such as 1) K9 Web Protection AND 2) Rescue Time AND 3) Covenant Eyes Internet Accountability.

There are other computer filters out there. These are merely the ones that I used to deliver some rockin' DAT studying. I cannot emphasize enough the importance of these programs in regards to implementing good study habits.

(K9 Web Protection will also block YouTube videos. You can tinker with the K9 settings to allow YouTube videos on your computer.)

4) Unplug Your TV: Every minute of TV equals one less minute of DAT studying. A TV addiction can potentially screw up your DAT studies and your final score. I’d recommend you unplug your television and ban TV from your laptop using K9 Web Protection. If you want to have fun, do something else such as baking a cake, playing sports, or calling up a friend.

5) Sample Test: You can monitor your progress using practice tests. If you're not happy with your practice scores, consider postponing your testing date. Postponing the test will give you more studying time and may work wonders in boosting up your scores.

Section II: Advice for Testing Day

1) Sleep: Get many hours of sleep the night before. (Aim for ten hours of sleep.)

2) Coffee: Bring two caffeinated drinks to the testing center. Drink one right before you begin. Drink the second during the 15 minute break.

3) Spit 'em Up: As of August 2013, the testing center gives students two non-erasable laminated papers for scrap paper. These "non-erasable" laminated papers erase easily in water. Use saliva to erase anything you need to. (The DAT may have changed their materials since I took the test, so check online if this tip is still up-to-date.)

4) Timing: All questions are worth equal amounts. If you’re worried about running out of time, then skip any difficult questions and just do the easy ones. When you finish the test, go back, and do the skipped problems. This tip is especially relevant to the Math section as nearly everyone runs out of time in that section.

I personally spent two summers in a row studying for the DAT, coming out to a rough estimate of 650 hours of study time. Without those many hours of studying, I would never have scored as well as I did. And I never could have studied so hard had I not established those computer filters and unplugged my television.

The Sky's the Limit. I believe that it’s very conceivable for a student to get perfect 30s across the board. Straight 30s would just be the result of an exceptionally motivated student who did tons and tons of studying.

Rock on fellow dental students. Believe in yourself, study hard and get that rockin' DAT score.

I am hoping a 30 on the GC, OC, and QR section. EvERYDAY I do the organic road maps 6(DAT Destroyer book) pages per day and in the morning the diazonium road map plus the question in the Destroyer about sulfonation is a reversible process where it has road maps. I finished the timed questions of the SNS( All Bio, GEN Chem, and Org Chem questions) and now im doing 10 questions of Gen Chem and Org Chem per day in the Destroyer. Im going to continue doing those 10 questions until test day. Will that make you achieve a 30 on both sections? Plus, i will do the same thing for the math after im done with all Math Destroyer tests( I am at test 12). Lastly, How many difficult questions did you have in the SNS and QR reasoning sections?

I am hoping a 30 on the GC, OC, and QR section. EvERYDAY I do the organic road maps 6(DAT Destroyer book) pages per day and in the morning the diazonium road map plus the question in the Destroyer about sulfonation is a reversible process where it has road maps. I finished the timed questions of the SNS( All Bio, GEN Chem, and Org Chem questions) and now im doing 10 questions of Gen Chem and Org Chem per day in the Destroyer. Im going to continue doing those 10 questions until test day. Will that make you achieve a 30 on both sections? Plus, i will do the same thing for the math after im done with all Math Destroyer tests( I am at test 12). Lastly, How many difficult questions did you have in the SNS and QR reasoning sections?

First of all, I think that 30 mindset will be helpful. I personally feel that having higher expectations will set you up to work harder to ensure those expectations come true. In other words, if you set your goal to beat the #$@% out of this test, then I feel you'll work harder to achieve that goal. Will you actually get a 30? I don't know. All I'm saying is having that kind of mindset will ensure you take precautions to work harder.

I don't know what your score will end up being . The best way to check your progress is take a practice test such as from Topscore, Bootcamp, or Kaplan. Just make sure to take these tests on days when you're well rested and had 8-9 hours of sleep the night before. Because those will be same conditions for you on the actual DAT test day. After you take the test, look up the test on SDN to see how it compares to the real test. Some testing programs (Achiever) are notorious for being way harder than the real thing. Seeing what other people on SDN say about the test will give you info about how your score would have compared to the real thing.

Also, I want to point out that I did more than simply Destroyer. I spent two full summers studying for this test. During that time, I went through tons of materials in addition to the Destroyer (such as my college textbooks). Melmu001, it seems to me that you have the right mindset for this test (utterly determined to do well). When you're determined to do well, then you will always find ways to tip things in your favor. In regards to the DAT, utter determination would mean reviewing the material again and again, which you do in fact seem to be doing.

Last edited:
First of all, I think that 30 mindset will be helpful. I personally feel that having higher expectations will set you up to work harder to ensure those expectations come true. In other words, if you set your goal to beat the #$@% out of this test, then I feel you'll work harder to achieve that goal. Will you actually get a 30? I don't know. All I'm saying is having that kind of mindset will ensure you take precautions to work harder.

I don't know what your score will end up being . The best way to check your progress is take a practice test such as from Topscore, Bootcamp, or Kaplan. Just make sure to take these tests on days when you're well rested and had 8-9 hours of sleep the night before. Because those will be same conditions for you on the actual DAT test day. After you take the test, look up the test on SDN to see how it compares to the real test. Some testing programs (Achiever) are notorious for being way harder than the real thing. Seeing what other people on SDN say about the test will give you info about how your score would have compared to the real thing.

Also, I want to point out that I did more than simply Destroyer. I spent two full summers studying for this test. During that time, I went through tons of materials in addition to the Destroyer (such as my college textbooks). Melmu001, it seems to me that you have the right mindset for this test (utterly determined to do well). When you're determined to do well, then you will always find ways to tip things in your favor. In regards to the DAT, utter determination would mean reviewing the material again and again, which you do in fact seem to be doing.
So reviewing the material over and over again is the best way to achieve the score you want?

So reviewing the material over and over again is the best way to achieve the score you want?
Yep. You got it.

Consider it this way. Imagine one person spends 100 hours of studying and goes through the Dat Destroyer once.
Now imagine another person spends 300 hours of studying and goes through the Dat Destroyer 5-6 times.

Oh man. You can't even come anywhere close to comparing one review to 5-6 reviews. That would translate into a HUGE difference in scores.

That means the person who studies 300 hrs will get a better score than the person who studies for 100 hrs like 30s? I studied the destroyer for about more than 3600 hrs.

Yep. You got it.

Consider it this way. Imagine one person spends 100 hours of studying and goes through the Dat Destroyer once.
Now imagine another person spends 300 hours of studying and goes through the Dat Destroyer 5-6 times.

Oh man. You can't even come anywhere close to comparing one review to 5-6 reviews. That would translate into a HUGE difference in scores.

Disagree 100%.....How you study for the DAT should be totally determined by the individual. For those with a strong science background, the DAT really isn't too bad at all.....in all honesty, I studied MAYBE 50 HOURS TOTAL over the course of about 3 weeks and did fine. Don't think you need to study a certain number of hours, just study until you feel comfortable with the material.

Disagree 100%.....How you study for the DAT should be totally determined by the individual. For those with a strong science background, the DAT really isn't too bad at all.....in all honesty, I studied MAYBE 50 HOURS TOTAL over the course of about 3 weeks and did fine. Don't think you need to study a certain number of hours, just study until you feel comfortable with the material.
HaverfoodsDDS, perhaps I might have been unclear. I agree with what you said "don't think you need to study certain number of hours, just study until you feel comfortable with the material." All I'm saying is that the more hours of study you put in, the more comfortable you'll be with the material. You say you received a fine score. I imagine it would have been even finer if you put in double or triple the amount of study hours.

Also, I think you were an exceptional case. Most people would not be able to cut it with less than 50 hours of studying. The only way I can see how this could have worked is if you both
A) studied like crazy during college and had an ~4.0 Science/Math GPA and B) are some sort of unique speed reader that can just devour knowledge at light-speed.

I mean, I personally studied the PAT alone for way over 50 hours. If you could master that section in say 10-20 hours, I feel you must be a naturally gifted PAT wizard, an exceptional case amongst the vast majority of pre-dental students. Personally, the only way I can see someone as being able to prep for the DAT in so little time, is if he/she was in the top 1% of pre-dental students in terms of both scientific knowledge / photographic memory capabilities.

Hello everyone,

I took the DAT on August 6th, 2013 and received a rockin' score. I estimate that I studied roughly 650 hours for this DAT. A healthy attitude can do wonders in helping you put in the study hours necessary to upgrade your scores.

My Scores

Bear in mind that scores this high are totally unnecessary for admittance to dental school.

2) My DAT Golden Rule: Every additional hour of studying is guaranteed to make a positive impact. Take easy college classes. Use the extra time to read through a DAT book. You'll feel better that way.

3) Using Your Computer: It is inevitable that at some point you will use a computer to study for this test. Wasting time and surfing the web can totally screw you over. To get a high DAT score, I’d recommend you take protective measures. For example, you can install time-saving protection software such as 1) K9 Web Protection AND 2) Rescue Time AND 3) Covenant Eyes Internet Accountability.

There are other computer filters out there. These are merely the ones that I used to deliver some crazy DAT studying.

4) Unplug Your TV: Every minute of TV equals one less minute of DAT studying. I’d recommend you unplug your television and ban TV from your laptop using K9 Web Protection. If you want to have fun, do something else such as baking a cake, playing sports, or calling up a friend.

5) Sample Test: You can monitor your progress using practice tests. Get a full night's sleep before the practice tests to ensure the scores will be most accurate. You can compare your practice scores to the real test by searching Student Doctor Network to see how other students' scores compared.

6) Ask Others (especially if they're experts): It's always nice to get the advice of others. Especially of people who did well. So if you ever meet anyone who did gorgeously well on the DAT, ask them about what differentiated their study habits from everyone else. (If you bump into insanely strong MCAT people, speak to them as well.)

Section II: Advice for Test Week

1) Test Week: Get loads of sleep in the nights leading up to the test. Also, the day right before the test, I personally did almost no studying. Instead, I spent that day relaxing and mentally visualizing myself destroying the DAT on the following day.

4) Timing: All questions are worth equal amounts. If you’re worried about running out of time, then skip any difficult questions and just do the easy ones. You can go back at the end. This tip is especially relevant for the Math, as nearly everyone runs out of time in that section.

So what differentiated me from everyone else? I began studying way earlier and spent way more time in total. (Think easy college classes, more free time. Always choose the easiest college professors you can.)

I began studying two years in advance and spent two summers in a row studying. (I wanted to take the test after my first summer, but was doing badly on practice tests, so I pushed it off a year. Worked out well.)

Story Time: Someone once asked me why I bothered to spend so much time studying. They took one look at my final score and said something like, "You must be a super genius. Why'd you start studying so much in advance and for so long?"

I said, "No, I actually have just a 3.6 GPA. I can't just go ahead and ace a test. I did so well on the DAT precisely because I started studying so far in advance for so long. (And because I've got all these computer filters so I don't waste time.)"

The sky's the limit. I believe that it’s conceivable for a student to get perfect 30s across the board. Straight 30s would just be the result of an exceptionally motivated student who started studying insanely early and did tons and tons of studying.

Rock on fellow dental students. Believe in yourself, study hard, and get that awesome DAT score.

I am a finance major right and have not taken any science classes so far. I am planning on taking them in the fall/spring semester and taking the DAT next year in 2015. Do you think I will be able to prepare for the exam by learning most of the material on my own? What are the most important prerequistes to take before taking the exam? I just wasn't sure if you felt like it was a test that someone with no science background could teach themselves the majority of ther matieral. Thanks for the help.