Dental School Acceptance Options

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

gobblergiant

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have heard contradicting statements about the options available with regards to accepting offers extended by the dental schools. Some say that you can pay the deposit and reserve a spot and later lose the deposit and go to another school. Others say that once you accept a school, you have to call other schools and say that you will withdraw your application. What is correct?

Do you have to go to a dental school that you made a deposit to or can you continue interviewing and choose another school but lose the deposit?

Members don't see this ad.

You can put down as many deposits as you want to hold spot(s) which are nonbinding, if you choose to go elsewhere then you just lose whatever you put down or partial refund depending on policy.

However in April, AADSAS/Dental Schools contact each other to notify each other of people holding more than one deposit which is the time you need to narrow down your choices.

So as long as I withdraw my application from the schools that I have added deposits to before April, I can submit deposits to any amount of schools I want?

Members don't see this ad :)
What sjv said was spot on. Should you have multiple acceptances on December 1st, you will either have to pay the deposit or decline the offer (the school will give you a time frame to complete this decision by). Since most deposit will be about $1,000+ I would suggest you really give a lot of thought into the decision as not to throw away money.

So as long as I withdraw my application from the schools that I have added deposits to before April, I can submit deposits to any amount of schools I want?

f) Applicants holding positions at multiple institutions. Dental schools
participating in AADSAS will report to AADSAS by April 1, the names and
identification numbers of candidates who have paid a deposit and/or hold a
position in their entering class. After April 5, AADSAS will report to each institution the names of candidates in their entering class who are holding
acceptance(s) at additional institutions. Dental schools will have the option of
rescinding an offer of admission to candidates who have paid deposits and
are holding positions at multiple institutions. Dental schools with candidates
holding multiple positions on April 1of the year of admission will give such
candidates a minimum 15-day notice if they choose to withdraw them from
the entering class.

Reactions: 1 user
What sjv said was spot on. Should you have multiple acceptances on December 1st, you will either have to pay the deposit or decline the offer (the school will give you a time frame to complete this decision by). Since most deposit will be about $1,000+ I would suggest you really give a lot of thought into the decision as not to throw away money.

I understand the cost of putting in deposits. I feel like I will add a deposit to the first school that accepts me so I have a school to go to and aim for a top tier school. The reason I am asking these questions is because I have an interview at UAB. However, I am really waiting on interview notification from U Penn and Harvard as the top goal.