Dental School Admission- Chances

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

FightingIllini1

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey Guys,

I'm new to the SDN forum site, but have been checking up on the DAT discussion threads for the past few months. I recently took the DATs and just calculated my GPAs in order to see where I stand in regards to getting into dental school.

I am a Junior at the University of Illinois - Champaign Urbana so I have 2 more semesters of classes to take that will hopefully bump up my gpa to something I'd be more happy with.

Here are my stats:

Molecular Cellular Biology- Major
Business- Minor
Chemistry- Minor (most likely)

BCP GPA: 3.267
Sci GPA: 3.369
Non-Sci GPA: 3.642
UIUC (Undergrad) GPA: 3.37
Overall GPA: 3.40

DATS:
Bio: 18
Orgo: 17
Chem Chem: 21
QR: 19
RC:19
PAT: 19
AA: 19
TS:19

(alot of 19s :confused:....the 17 in Orgo and 18 in Bio -> should I retake it?)

Extra Curriculars:
-95 Hours of Dental Assisting with a Pediatric Dentist
-45 Hours of Dental Assisting/Shadowing with a General Dentist
(with prob another 45 more to come within the next year)
-20+ Hours of helping a periodontist write a case report
-60 Hours of office hour volunteering for a non-profit dental organization
-30-40 Hours of random volunteering locally
-Treasurer of Pre-Dental Club, hopefully President by Senior Year
-Treasurer of Healthy Smiles (another dental club at my univeristy)
-Treasurer and member of a dance team
-Member of a few other non-dental related clubs

Hand Dexterity: Does drawing count? I took an Architecture 101 course and have a bunch of sketches of buildings I had to draw.

I would love to get some honest feedback in regards to my chances for getting into dental school when I apply for the 2011-2012 Dental Application Cycle.

Also, any advice would great. I greatly appreciate it! Thanks in advance!

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
I think you have a fairly good chance of getting some interviews. Just rock those and you'll be fine. Good luck!

I think you have a chance. Go into those interviews with confidence! Don't ever give up on something you can't go a day without thinking about! Good luck!

Members don't see this ad :)
I think you have a chance. Go into those interviews with confidence! Don't ever give up on something you can't go a day without thinking about! Good luck!

I think you will be fine. Wish you all the best!!!

your dat is pretty decent but you should most definitely retake it and aim for 20's

you should also aim to ace your remaining bcp classes to raise your bcp gpa

given the effort, these two things are very realistic to do, and would make you alot more competitive than you currently are...if you have the time to do it, then you should

I appreciate all the positive feedback and advice. Thanks! This forums awesome haha!

u have plenty of time to retake the DAT. i would say retake it.

of course u can make up for quantifiable stats with good lor or ps, but if u think about it from dental school point of view, how reliable is lor or ps when compared to quantifiable statistics.
at this point, ur gpa can bump up only so much cuz u only have two semesters left. so retaking the dat is not a bad idea

just my two cents

btw, go illini!