Dental School Admission

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

PreDentalKorean

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi. I was wondering if dental school admission is very predictable? Can a person with 3.7, 21+ DAT and decent ec get rejected from all dental schools? I look at the dental school web site, and the applicant pool is like 2000-3000 for 100 spots. I don't know if solid gpa, DAT, ec can get one into that small class.

Members don't see this ad.

In short, no. There are no gaurantees. But of course, the better your numbers are the better shot you have. The numbers you posted are rather competetive.

just be smart about where you apply. for example, state schools that accept a majority of in state residents probably reject a lot of qualified appliants due to limited quota for out of state acceptances. you'll be fine if you do do your research (ie - www.predents.com - is helpful)

Members don't see this ad :)
One other important element: interview!! if you're an arrogant person or if you are way too nervous/anxious, you're not in.

your numbers will you get you the interview. your character/personality will get you in.

If the timing is right then it is probably safe to assume you will get in some where. If you come off as a negative type of personality at every interview, that is a different story.

With a 3.7gpa, 21+ DAT, and decent ECs, basically just don't be a complete dick in your interview and you'll get in somewhere, likely somewhere decent.

The stats you listed are fine, but like others said...there are no guarentees in this game.

Also, the numbers you listed are correct for the individual school, but you need to think of the overall picture. A single school might get 2000-3000 applicants for 100 spots, giving you a 1 in 20 or 30 shot, but overall, there are around 10,000 to 12,000 applicants a year for 4,000 or so spots in all US dental schools. That's more like a 1 in 3 shot. People apply to multiple schools and don't go to all of them that accept them...just one, which means your chances get better.

by the way...those numbers are completely rounded so I can make the math easier...don't get on my case for not giving the exact #s.

I had a 3.9 gpa, a 21AA 22TS AND more research then you can imagine and I DIDN'T get in the first time around....:rolleyes: so there are NO guarntees...sorry....

With those grades, just apply early and to the right schools, do well in the interviews, you have a pretty high chance getting in somewhere.

I have not yet taken physics 1 or 2 and I am trying to find out if it is okay to apply to Dental schools even if you didn't finish all the pre-request Classes for the school. Can anyone tell if I am doing the right thing? Or should I wait until I get all my pre-requisites in order to apply to those schools.

I have not yet taken physics 1 or 2 and I am trying to find out if it is okay to apply to Dental schools even if you didn't finish all the pre-request Classes for the school. Can anyone tell if I am doing the right thing? Or should I wait until I get all my pre-requisites in order to apply to those schools.

As long as you get them done before the summer that you enroll in dental school that is fine. Put it under planned courses in the application.

Hopefully my list of schools are good!!!
If you guys have any suggestions then please let me know, i can still add a couple more!!

Hopefully my list of schools are good!!!
If you guys have any suggestions then please let me know, i can still add a couple more!!

I recommend a couple of state schools and the rest privates. Practically everybody is thinking along the same line of going the least expensive route. If that doesn't pan out private schools will do the same job but with a hefty price.
If you want more in the way of state schools look up state schools that are out of state friendly.

I recommend a couple of state schools and the rest privates. Practically everybody is thinking along the same line of going the least expensive route. If that doesn't pan out private schools will do the same job but with a hefty price.
If you want more in the way of state schools look up state schools that are out of state friendly.

I chose those state schools which take at least of 35 out staters and i dont wanna leave the north eastern side, stretched to Penn state.

So should i throw more private schools? I already have Tufts, BU, NYU and Temple.

I chose those state schools which take at least of 35 out staters and i dont wanna leave the north eastern side, stretched to Penn state.

So should i throw more private schools? I already have Tufts, BU, NYU and Temple.

I recommend stretching your area to include the south as well. Add Nova. It isn't too much of an inconvenience to go to Florida. You can also expand up to Michigan if you want. If you add Buffalo schools like Case or detroit mercy aren't too far away. This is my recommendation. Add at least a couple of more private schools.