Dental School Codes

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

coolraz

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Doe anyone know where i can find a list of the dental school codes (they're two digit numbers used by ADEA and their publications (like the Journal of Dental Education) to designate schools). It would be really useful as i have found some interesting articles.

Here's one that tells you how much a dental student produces in the clinic in each of the four years by school (it's intersting to see, for example, that four schools actually put you in the clinic in the first year and you actually do procedures).

http://www.adea.org/DEPR/Assocreptsept01.pdf

Now i need to know what the school codes are so i can know which schools these are! Thanks for any help!

Members don't see this ad.

UPDATE: After about two hours of scrounding around with dear old pal google i managed to find them. Now this gets very intersting.....

PM me if you want to know the ADEA's screat numbers : )

Those reports don't mean anything, since school fees vary greatly. Those say NOTHING about types or numbers of procedures done. For example, I've been in clinic for 5 months now, and I've already easily produced more than an average D3 or D4 students, according to that report.

The only thing I find at all valuable off that report, is the number of clocked clinic hours. But then again, the number of hours isn't important if you aren't doing anything other than sitting around.

Your comment about D1 students is also a bit ridiculous, since they "earned" a whopping mean of $169. That equates to a bunch of prophies.

Members don't see this ad :)
ItsGavinC said:
Those reports don't mean anything, since school fees vary greatly. Those say NOTHING about types or numbers of procedures done. For example, I've been in clinic for 5 months now, and I've already easily produced more than an average D3 or D4 students, according to that report.

The only thing I find at all valuable off that report, is the number of clocked clinic hours. But then again, the number of hours isn't important if you aren't doing anything other than sitting around.

Your comment about D1 students is also a bit ridiculous, since they "earned" a whopping mean of $169. That equates to a bunch of prophies.

Well actuall, that's what i was looking at....the clocked clinic hours. But what you have to realize is that dental schools give you NO idea and NO information on the type of clinical training they give you. All you can go by is the students that say "i've done this much" and people saying "we have this much clinical experience". I've already realized a lot of this is B.S., so i was just looking at an unbiased (cmon the ADEA is probably as unbiased as it gets, at least compared to the dental schools which are clearly trying to recruit) source of objective information.

Also, think about this. If a D1 is in clinic, even if they're just doing prophies, couldnt that say something about the school? At least looking at the data you can see which school let you spend SOME time in clinic D1 and D2 and which schools basically keep you in lecture hall until D3....

Obviously the info is not the best. Hey wouldnt we all want to have detailed info about each and every school to aid in our choice. But since that info is cleary not available, all we have do go by is things like this.

coolraz said:
Well actuall, that's what i was looking at....the clocked clinic hours. But what you have to realize is that dental schools give you NO idea and NO information on the type of clinical training they give you. All you can go by is the students that say "i've done this much" and people saying "we have this much clinical experience". I've already realized a lot of this is B.S., so i was just looking at an unbiased (cmon the ADEA is probably as unbiased as it gets, at least compared to the dental schools which are clearly trying to recruit) source of objective information.

Also, think about this. If a D1 is in clinic, even if they're just doing prophies, couldnt that say something about the school?

Good response, which I respect. As far as D1 students doing prophies, I don't think that says anything about a school, other than they have you doing prophies. That isn't exactly a difficult skill to master, and I wouldn't say that students are behind the curve because they don't do that during the first year.

True, but I think that's because you're at Arizona (am I correct?) and they are well known for being very very good clinically. So, even though you may not be in clinic early, i'm sure they teach you quite well when it comes to it. Some other schools make claims that they are good clinically (while mostly being known for research and acdemica), and I wanted to see how much substance there is behind such claims, since at a school like that i would actually want to get into clinic earlier to at least do something.

P.S. the codes i was lucky enough to find do not match up with the ones in the article (they're just AADSAS codes), so unfortunately i'm back at square one. Any chance you might be able to help, even though you may not agree with using the information? : )