Dental school debt ,should I do it ?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Amalhalawa

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
I got into a dental school that is 3 years long, the tuition is (including loan fees) about 110,000$ per year. Over 3 years including interest it would be around 350k of student loans that I would have to pay off if I did the math right. I will be living in Michigan after I graduate, the average dentist makes about 150-200k in Michigan. Is it worth it or am I making a mistake? Your input is appreciated.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
I’m guessing it’s either Roseman or UoP since those are only 3 year programs now.

You need to really think about how much debt you’re okay taking. It’s a lot, but you could be much worse going to USC or NYU, so that’s a plus. If you want to pursue dentistry this is unfortunately the cost of doing it. If it’s your dream, you’ll make it work. You will have to work hard after graduation and budget and live within your means for a while but if others have done it, I’m sure you can do it too.

Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
I got into a dental school that is 3 years long, the tuition is (including loan fees) about 110,000$ per year. Over 3 years including interest it would be around 350k of student loans that I would have to pay off if I did the math right. I will be living in Michigan after I graduate, the average dentist makes about 150-200k in Michigan. Is it worth it or am I making a mistake? Your input is appreciated.
I feel like the future is in these 3 year schools. They can still charge 100k+ per year, but students are only coming out with 300k-400k of debt rather than 400-500k debt at a similar 4 year school. I'd go to the three year at that cost.

Although, I will emphasize that is still a ton of money and you'll need to go work where you are needed and be ready to put a large % of your total income towards your student loans at least for the first few years to get the principle and therefore accrual of interest down.

Reactions: 1 users
I feel like the future is in these 3 year schools. They can still charge 100k+ per year, but students are only coming out with 300k-400k of debt rather than 400-500k debt at a similar 4 year school. I'd go to the three year at that cost.
Idk, UoP is around 150k a year, so that’s 450k before interest is even applied. But I agree a 3 year program may be beneficial, but I can’t imagine the stress of cramming 4 years into 3

It's Roseman, the 3 year tuition is less than UoP's program. From a financial point of view , is it worth it ?

Honestly, if you are die-hard on becoming a dentist, then do the 3-year program. Roseman isn't planning on increasing the tuition costs for the first 3 years (maybe a few thousand, but it's not going up $20k a year). Roseman will be one of the least expensive programs that you can attend if you account for $150k extra income - after taxes in Michigan $106k in income. It will be extremely difficult to find a school that will accept you and cost less than Roseman.

For example, one of the most expensive schools NYU: NYU's tuition & fees are the same as Roseman's - around $107k. But you need to account for another year of tuition & living expenses (In NY- more expensive) & 1 less year of income. So at least $150k more in debt, and 375 people are okay paying this if it means becoming a dentist (not saying they should).

If you did Roseman, would you live with roommates or alone?
Living alone in South Jordan will cost you around $1,700; whereas if you have 1 roommate $1,100ish, +2 roommates it will cost you around $700 per month. You should for sure try to have at least 1 roommate if possible. Plus you need to account for another $______ for food, car, personal expenses, etc. But don't take out the $35k in loans per year they offer for living expenses, you'd be fine living on half of that.

Why are you considering not attending dental school after taking the prereqs, applying, interviewing, and getting accepted? Are you hoping for a less expensive dental school? Considering not becoming a dentist entirely? What would you do instead of becoming a dentist?

All the best!

Last edited:

Although, I will emphasize that is still a ton of money and you'll need to go work where you are needed and be ready to put a large % of your total income towards your student loans at least for the first few years to get the principle and therefore accrual of interest down.
couldn't agree more. That's why Roseman went to a 3-year program; to decrease student loans by 25%. They are charging the same tuition as their 4 year program, but increasing their class size 36% to make up for the lost income. I would not be surprised to see more dental schools doing the same thing

Get ready to cut crowns and do fillings 5 days a week for several years. A lot of people don’t actually want to do the work part when they graduate

Last edited:
Reactions: 6 users
Get ready to cut crowns and do fillings 5 days a week first several years. A lot of people don’t actually want to do the work part when they graduate
lol what's the point of going to dental school, doing all that work, spending all the money and time if you don't want to do the dental work/become a dentist

lol what's the point of going to dental school, doing all that work, spending all the money and time if you don't want to do the dental work/become a dentist

Once you become a dentist- you will understand what D1 Bound means. Long story made short- there are some offices where literally that handpiece is on 24/7 and you are scrunched over, back bent, working for pennies- and trust me- you will walk out everyday after work wondering what the hell did I get myself into.

Of course you won’t understand until you are in that environment. But everyone goes through it. It’s the usual 1-2 years out where you get your reps in

Last edited:
I'm pretty pessimistic in general with student loans. However, I think for a 3 year program it is ok. You will have that extra year to make income. I think this is similar to doing a 4 year program for 250k, which I would do

Members don't see this ad :)
Because you don't know if you'll like it until you're in dental school.

You should have a pretty good idea before going to dental school though. Interviewing dentists, shadowing, taking summer dental prep courses (through dental schools), and working as a dental assistant or RDH. I think this would be the case for anyone going into dentistry, experiencing the field to get a good idea as to what they are getting themselves into.

But I have been fortunate coming from a background where I have been exposed to the good and the bad parts of dentistry my entire life (child of a dentist). I think overall people should have a good idea of what their daily life would look like before starting dental school.

It would be a hefty price to pay to just try dental school without having expectations as to what your day-to-day life would look like as a dentist.

Once you become a dentist- you will understand what D1 Bound means. Long story made short- there are some offices where literally that handpiece is on 24/7 and you are scrunched over, back bent, working for pennies- and trust me- you will walk out everyday after work wondering what the hell did I get myself into.

Of course you won’t understand until you are in that environment. But everyone goes through it. It’s the usual 1-2 years out where you get your reps in
Honestly, I haven't seen that or heard of that before, but I can image that being brutal both physically and mentally. The dentists that I've talked to or shadowed weren't operating like that, and I don't think anyone would/could enjoy working in an environment like that.

Is that more common in corporate dental offices? I've only talked to & shadowed dentists that practice in private practices or DSOs.

Honestly, I haven't seen that or heard of that before, but I can image that being brutal both physically and mentally. The dentists that I've talked to or shadowed weren't operating like that, and I don't think anyone would/could enjoy working in an environment like that.

Is that more common in corporate dental offices? I've only talked to & shadowed dentists that practice in private practices or DSOs.
You gotta start somewhere. The 4 days week with chill schedule comes later in life

I would not go if you are not receiving some sort of financial help(parents, own savings, etc). You haven't even included your cost of living yet.

I would not go if you are not receiving some sort of financial help(parents, own savings, etc). You haven't even included your cost of living yet.
I will be receiving help from my parents for cost of living. But I might end up taking a fraction of the cost of living loan the school provides us

You should have a pretty good idea before going to dental school though.
Seeing the work done and doing it are totally different. A good example in school: I know of literally like 5 people who enjoy doing RCT, almost every else can't stand it. You just don't know until you have to do the work yourself

Seeing the work done and doing it are totally different. A good example in school: I know of literally like 5 people who enjoy doing RCT, almost every else can't stand it. You just don't know until you have to do the work yourself
I completely agree. Dentists have the ability to make everything look extremely easy. When you are shadowing a dentist, you really don't know what they are doing inside the mouth. You can't see a thing lol, but it's more of an opportunity to interact with the dentist to find out what they like & dislike about dentistry. Get a good idea of what your life would look like if you pursued a career as a dentist.

That's why I think it's important for anyone interested in the career to shadow, talk to dentists, work in the industry, and do dental prep courses. You need to have a good idea as to what you're getting yourself.

One of the best parts about dentistry is being able to choose what area you want to specialize in. If you hate RTC, you never have to do them (outside of Dschool). For the 5 that enjoy it, endo is for them. Love the movement of teeth and creating smiles, specialize in ortho. The beautiful thing about dentistry is the ability to find an area you love and being able to stick with it.

Here's UoP 2022-2023 tuition. Add a 5% increase for 2023-2024, equipment and mandatory fees -> maybe closer to $130/year without living expenses.

1680619763816.png

You don’t realize how hard doing dental work is until your in dental school lol…people go into it oblivious.

You don’t realize how hard doing dental work is until your in dental school lol…people go into it oblivious.
Yeah, dentists make everything look easy lol. When I was shadowing an OS he would spend a maximum of 20 seconds per wisdom tooth. I was shocked. He made it look so easy the way he popped them out it was incredible. Obviously, OS is difficult and hard on your body, but he made it look so simple; like anyone could do it without training. He refused to use a handpiece too lol (at least in the cases that I saw - something about the recovery being easier for the patients when you don't use a drill).

I haven't gone through any of it myself yet. Haven't gone through dental school or started practicing yet. From what I've heard from countless dentists, friends, and family members that have gone through dental school and are practicing. The first year out is generally the most difficult because you aren't used to the patient load. But after the first 6 months to year, you start to create a rhythm while you treat patients and it becomes easier seeing patients, treatment planning, and managing your team. Though you are still tired at the end of the day. The ones that own their own practice consistently say the same thing. Dentistry is the easy part; training and managing your team is the difficult part. But who knows, I haven't gone through it myself - I'll let you know what I think in about 10 years after I experience it lol

Idk, UoP is around 150k a year, so that’s 450k before interest is even applied. But I agree a 3 year program may be beneficial, but I can’t imagine the stress of cramming 4 years into 3
When I did the math for UoP w/ the more specific numbers they gave at the interview, it came out to $514k pre-interest. And doing the math is simple addition so I don't think I messed that up. That's tuition and cost of living for all 3 yrs. And I'm sure they underquote for SF cost of living. I've heard that the monthly quote for standard rent is based off of 3 students living in a 2 bedroom apartment. Insane.

Great school though. If one was doing HPSP, UoP would be a very attractive option. Only 3 yrs of service required, you get to go to an excellent school, and you get to live in SF (one of the most expensive cities in the states) for free. Well, living in SF would be a plus for me at least. I know others out there would disagree.

become a hygienist.

I know some that are making more than the dentists I went to school with for a fraction of the debt. It's a hygienists market out there right now.

So no imo I don't think it's worth 350k in debt. unless maybe your parents are dentists and they will give you a practice.

When I did the math for UoP w/ the more specific numbers they gave at the interview, it came out to $514k pre-interest. And doing the math is simple addition so I don't think I messed that up. That's tuition and cost of living for all 3 yrs. And I'm sure they underquote for SF cost of living. I've heard that the monthly quote for standard rent is based off of 3 students living in a 2 bedroom apartment. Insane.
$514k pre-interest is indeed an insane price to become a dentist. Don't do this.
On the other hand, $350k is more doable in my opinion if one is willing to work hard after graduation (that's my d-school's COA for in-state students class of 2027 btw).
I think Roseman's COA around $380k, right?

After graduation, you will be repaying this loan at a rate of $2507.51 a month for 20 years. ($30,000 a year)
----That is with after tax dollars!
----That will be 20% of your likely pretax income.
----That means no cushy life style.
----That means a 5 day work week. (That would be an 8 hour minimum day too.)
----That means 2 weeks vacation -- max.
----That means don't get sick, don't get injured, don't get pregnant.

If you understand that being a dentist is a JOB. (A rather good job!) Then go for it.

$514k pre-interest is indeed an insane price to become a dentist. Don't do this.
On the other hand, $350k is more doable in my opinion if one is willing to work hard after graduation (that's my d-school's COA for in-state students class of 2027 btw).
I think Roseman's COA around $380k, right?
Yeah, if you are accounting for living expenses at Roseman, it will be around $400k give or take.

Because it’s hard. A lot of dentists can’t physically work 40 clinical hours a week. Sometimes you can only do it for a few years before your body starts to fall apart.

how do you not know if you like dentistry until you're in dental school.. did you not shadow? honestly a bit shocked you got accepted bc so many students know their passion and still dont get into any schools...

how do you not know if you like dentistry until you're in dental school.. did you not shadow? honestly a bit shocked you got accepted bc so many students know their passion and still dont get into any schools...
Shadowing doesn’t equal practice

i guess, but like you should have some idea if this is what you want to do for the rest of your life.
How do you know if you like it if you never done anything hands on? Most of us have enjoyed watching someone else do something, but we wouldn't enjoy it until we do it ourselves. Likewise with dentistry, you can shadow all you want, but you won't know you like it until YOU do it.

Many people shadow in different fields, but none of that mean anything until you're the one who has to do it. I hope this makes sense.

How do you know if you like it if you never done anything hands on? Most of us have enjoyed watching someone else do something, but we wouldn't enjoy it until we do it ourselves. Likewise with dentistry, you can shadow all you want, but you won't know you like it until YOU do it.

Many people shadow in different fields, but none of that mean anything until you're the one who has to do it. I hope this makes sense.
ok ok i guess yall r right. i mean i've assisted and i enjoy that, and i also like working with my hands. there are many aspects i love about dentistry but ig i dont know if i will truly love it until im in it. but honestly thats a big what if to take on all that debt ur first year of school to not like it.. imo once ur in ur in unless u have rich parents or parents that r dentists and can pay off ur loans for u

I swear, if I’m ever on an admissions committee and some applicant says dentistry is their “passion,” that will be an automatic reject.

The appropriate statement would be: “I believe that dentistry has the potential to be a rewarding and fulfilling career.”

Big Hoss

• Love
I swear, if I’m ever on an admissions committee and some applicant says dentistry is their “passion,” that will be an automatic reject.

The appropriate statement would be: “I believe that dentistry has the potential to be a rewarding and fulfilling career.”

Big Hoss
...... noted. ig the right way for me personally to word it is instead of saying i have passion for dentistry, i have passion to serve disadvantaged communities and dentistry is just one pathway where i can do that. :oops: hoping the admission committees at the schools im applying to dont feel the same as u lol

You would be surprised. It baffles me too. Unfortunately dentistry selects for these “work balance” types that are used to a high standard of living.

Edit: OP, I think <350k with a 3 year curriculum is doable if, and only if, you want to be dentist.

Last edited:
You would be surprised. It baffles me too. Unfortunately dentistry selects for these “work balance” types that are used to a high standard of living.
It’s hilarious isn’t it? The ADA is always talking about increasing access to care and trying to push for dentists to work in rural areas. What do the schools do? In my experience the students around me aren’t “country folk.” They will be headed straight for suburbia or the city. They will also be looking to work 4 days a week. These are the students that are selected. If they wanted to increase access to care maybe they should choose students that exhibit interest in outdoors activities such as hunting, fishing, hiking, etc, and also students that can talk about an extensive WORK history. And maybe living in a rural zip code. But that would make too much sense.

It’s hilarious isn’t it? The ADA is always talking about increasing access to care and trying to push for dentists to work in rural areas. What do the schools do? In my experience the students around me aren’t “country folk.” They will be headed straight for suburbia or the city. They will also be looking to work 4 days a week. These are the students that are selected. If they wanted to increase access to care maybe they should choose students that exhibit interest in outdoors activities such as hunting, fishing, hiking, etc, and also students that can talk about an extensive WORK history. And maybe living in a rural zip code. But that would make too much sense.
or make school cost cheaper. I'll go back to a rural place if my loans were less than !00k

Or just go practice where there's more of a possibility to make more and not be tied down to anything.
That's my point. It's easier said than done. Most dental students nowadays are not willing to make a sacrifice living in rural areas or work for the government(military). You can say all you want about going rural if your debt was reduced to 100k or if tuition was cheaper but that's bull crap. I know 99% of students have the same mentality as you(wanting to work 3-4 days a week, make good money, and awesome social life). The reality is not every single one of them are going to make bank after graduation but all of them will have roughly the same amount of debt(400K+).

That's my point. It's easier said than done. Most dental students nowadays are not willing to make a sacrifice living in rural areas or work for the government(military). You can say all you want about going rural if your debt was reduced to 100k or if tuition was cheaper but that's bull crap. I know 99% of students have the same mentality as you(wanting to work 3-4 days a week, make good money, and awesome social life). The reality is not every single one of them are going to make bank after graduation but all of them will have roughly the same amount of debt(400K+).
where do students get this idea they will only need to work 3-4 days a week... im applying rn and i definitely do not have that idea at all... maybe down the line when im a lot older and my loans are paid off but not anytime soon. no dentist i shadowed practiced 3-4 days a week.. most had two offices and would split the week half and half

where do students get this idea they will only need to work 3-4 days a week... im applying rn and i definitely do not have that idea at all... maybe down the line when im a lot older and my loans are paid off but not anytime soon. no dentist i shadowed practiced 3-4 days a week.. most had two offices and would split the week half and half

Because who the hell wants to sacrifice even more after you have studied your ass off for the last 8 years in undergrad/dental school? Trust me most are not gonna want to be told where to work/live after graduation and will succumb to doing IBR while maintaining their middle/upper middle class lifestyle. I know 99% of my classmates stayed in the area or went back to their home(suburbs/major city) to be close with family/significant others. There will be outliers who decided to join military, NHSC and they are the ones who would actually move to rural areas to make more and attack their loans as fast as possible if they didn't get accepted into the scholarship programs.

So yeah. Please think hard before taking on 400k+ debt. You can say all you want about living frugally, moving to rural areas to make more, and leave your family/potential significant others behind, etc but that's gonna be really hard to do. I am not saying you can't succeed and make bank after graduation but you need to look at the facts.