Dental School Drug Testing

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Impulse155

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
So in a few weeks im going for a pretty major surgery and I am going to be getting put under (isn't that usually with a valium mixture?) and perscribed a narcotic painkiller and probably something else. I'm sure this type of stuff comes up in drug test.

Does anyone know schools that drug test? And what happens in this situation? Don't you normally have to go to the drug test within a certain period of being requested one. I'm going for a jaw surgery requiring my mouth to be wired shut so I would really prefer not doing having to leave my house with my jaw wired shut

Members don't see this ad.

If they go through Certiphi for your background check then you schedule your own. I would assume most schools drug test but I wouldn't be worried, why wouldn't they accommodate you?

Members don't see this ad :)
I've never heard of a school drug testing, but its fine to take prescription pills if you can produce a valid script when if you get tested.

For some schools, I've heard that the drug test must be completed within 30 days of classes starting. So you have some time to get it out of your system.

For some schools, I've heard that the drug test must be completed within 30 days of classes starting. So you have some time to get it out of your system.

What schools, exactly? It would be interesting to have a complete list of those that require a drug test prior to matriculation.

Another interesting thing would be to know if these drug tests detect adderall or other such substances. "Mind steroids" are being abused at my University: I've been offered some. Not going to cheat. Though I am sure there are plenty out there who are.

I think its a sad commentary on the state of youth in America, honestly. Sadder still is the idea that dentistry and/or medicine hasn't necessarily done a thorough enough job already weeded out drug abusers etc coming in from undergrad (therefore its the undergrad + high school, etc which is abdicating its role in drug abuse prevention and/or unleashing punishment). Perhaps Letters Of Recommendations are not coming from clean recommendors themselves and/or they who are recommending do not really know who they are recommending well enough to give a truly adequate recommendation?

IMO the older generations are oversaturating the younger generation with Too Much Information and Too Much Activity, ie Busywork...then naturally, the younger generation deals with it in various ways including alcohol and drug abuse. Its simply good old fashioned escapism. The more extreme the oversaturation with activity/ information = the more extreme the desire to escape via substance abuse etc at the end of the day/ week/ semester etc. Technology is only going to make these trends get worse, eg cell phones and internet etc.

I am glad I don't drink or smoke or take any drugs. Keeps a person out of a lot of trouble which might otherwise happen. Its offensive to me to some degree to think of the idea that someone like me who doesn't drink smoke or take any drugs would have to waste the time and effort because others abuse themselves in these ways. I am embarrassed for what has become of this generation (under the direction or lack thereof of the preceding generation). There is no shame it seems, anymore. Seriously.

for example, what gives with Barry Bonds, McGuire, and Lance Armstrong, to name just a few, who are held up as icons and heros when everybody within their inner circle as well as anyone in general with a lick of common sense knows/ knew all along they were abusing performance enhancing drugs in violation of the formal rules, good health practice, and ethical consideration of good sportsmanship? What gives in this degenerate society? Is the majority truly this ignorant and the minority truly as capable of corruption as it consistently demonstrates? Not impressed at all. Brittany Spears and Paris Hilton are allowed to be held up by the boomer generation as the icons of the present age for their children? The present cultural milieu reminds me of the movie Idiocracy. "ow my balls":rolleyes:

Last edited:
I have to disagree with you here, Bobby Fischer. Lance Armstrong took performance enhancing drugs and finished first among a group of other drug users. Everyone was on an even playing field, but it was lance that got up the hill the fastest and this has nothing to do with his drug use. There is a saying in competitive bodybuilding -- a sport in which steroid use is universally accepted -- and it goes something like this: If you take away everyone's steroids, the guy who placed highest on the podium is still going to be in the same spot. It is hard work, dedication and training that gets you there.

Now, I'm not saying that everyone should start taking adderall to even the playing field. I think, however, that your worries concerning its use are unwarranted. Adderall makes you concentrate very hard on a specific task, so if you want to study, you end up studying for 8 hours without breaks. The downside is that the next day you feel like ****, since you haven't eaten anything for the past 8 hours. It really isn't a drug that gives you super memorization powers and I wouldn't consider it to give a real benefit. If you are in dental school, you should have sufficient study techniques and abilities that allow you to forego its use. IMO, i'm fine with anyone that chooses to use adderall and don't think it's a big deal.

tumblr_mg4zchJpVb1qchnreo1_500.jpg

What schools, exactly? It would be interesting to have a complete list of those that require a drug test prior to matriculation.

Another interesting thing would be to know if these drug tests detect adderall or other such substances. "Mind steroids" are being abused at my University: I've been offered some. Not going to cheat. Though I am sure there are plenty out there who are.

I think its a sad commentary on the state of youth in America, honestly. Sadder still is the idea that dentistry and/or medicine hasn't necessarily done a thorough enough job already weeded out drug abusers etc coming in from undergrad (therefore its the undergrad + high school, etc which is abdicating its role in drug abuse prevention and/or unleashing punishment). Perhaps Letters Of Recommendations are not coming from clean recommendors themselves and/or they who are recommending do not really know who they are recommending well enough to give a truly adequate recommendation?

IMO the older generations are oversaturating the younger generation with Too Much Information and Too Much Activity, ie Busywork...then naturally, the younger generation deals with it in various ways including alcohol and drug abuse. Its simply good old fashioned escapism. The more extreme the oversaturation with activity/ information = the more extreme the desire to escape via substance abuse etc at the end of the day/ week/ semester etc. Technology is only going to make these trends get worse, eg cell phones and internet etc.

I am glad I don't drink or smoke or take any drugs. Keeps a person out of a lot of trouble which might otherwise happen. Its offensive to me to some degree to think of the idea that someone like me who doesn't drink smoke or take any drugs would have to waste the time and effort because others abuse themselves in these ways. I am embarrassed for what has become of this generation (under the direction or lack thereof of the preceding generation). There is no shame it seems, anymore. Seriously.

for example, what gives with Barry Bonds, McGuire, and Lance Armstrong, to name just a few, who are held up as icons and heros when everybody within their inner circle as well as anyone in general with a lick of common sense knows/ knew all along they were abusing performance enhancing drugs in violation of the formal rules, good health practice, and ethical consideration of good sportsmanship? What gives in this degenerate society? Is the majority truly this ignorant and the minority truly as capable of corruption as it consistently demonstrates? Not impressed at all. Brittany Spears and Paris Hilton are allowed to be held up by the boomer generation as the icons of the present age for their children? The present cultural milieu reminds me of the movie Idiocracy. "ow my balls":rolleyes:

Why would a professor who is writing a recommendation ever know or ask a student if they did any drugs (the student could just lie...)? The professors don't watch students at libraries and in their dorms/apartments to see if they take adderall or are acting like they are on adderall. If they wanted, they could check their student file and see if they were ever caught and disciplined. But there are way more students who do take adderall and are not caught and documented.

Interesting counterpoints.

Now, about a list of schools doing drug testing...which ones are they anyone know? Which ones do not require drug testing anyone know? Curious...

I only know that Roseman requires a drug test. Not sure about any others.

Steve Jobs dropped acid... Does that take away from his brilliance? I'm sick and tired of hearing this honorable BS. You sound so snobby and quite honestly, like a cry-baby. "Oh I'm wasting my time because other people do wrong and I'm so perfect." Save it. To each their own. So what if someone likes to drink and party? Escapism? Please... Just because people have fun in different ways does not give you the right to judge others. You do what you like to do and let others do what they enjoy. Your judgmental and condescending tone sounds like nails on a blackboard. Spend the rest of your life doing what you love doing but don't feel bad for the rest of us for doing what we like to do.

Reactions: 1 user
Steve Jobs dropped acid... Does that take away from his brilliance? I'm sick and tired of hearing this honorable BS. You sound so snobby and quite honestly, like a cry-baby. "Oh I'm wasting my time because other people do wrong and I'm so perfect." Save it. To each their own. So what if someone likes to drink and party? Escapism? Please... Just because people have fun in different ways does not give you the right to judge others. You do what you like to do and let others do what they enjoy. Your judgmental and condescending tone sounds like nails on a blackboard. Spend the rest of your life doing what you love doing but don't feel bad for the rest of us for doing what we like to do.

:thumbdown:

Members don't see this ad :)
Steve Jobs dropped acid*... Does that take away from his brilliance? I'm sick and tired of hearing...

I am sick and tired of hearing the citing of the exception to the general rule as a means to simultaneously disprove the general rule and feebly attempt to prove the nobility of luck.

Yeah, well, people win the lottery, too. Doesn't make the lottery winnings right/ solvent/ honorable/ decent/ profitable for a society in principle, either.

Sometimes the rare and lucky individual who jumps from an airplane and their parachute fails lives to tell about it. Go jump from an airplane without a parachute if you believe in the exception to the rule so much.

Etc, etc etc etc there is literally an innumerable numbers of examples to demonstrate how ludicrous this mindset is of subverting the general rules of life (correct principles) by overuse of the exception.

*specific to acid or other non-physically addictive hallucinogenics I personally see more of a concern with alcohol consumption. As well as the friendly physician or dentist who dispenses health care advice in clinic one minute and the next is out back on a smoke break.

Spend the rest of your life doing what you love doing but don't feel bad for the rest of us for doing what we like to do.

:thumbup: everyone has their own vices in this "degenerate society". don't act like you don't have one :rolleyes:

:thumbup: everyone has their own vices in this "degenerate society". don't act like you don't have one :rolleyes:

More power to you. I have mine, too. We all do as you imply.

The difference is in the absence of shame in making vices known publicly, which accelerates/ enhances the general prevalence of any given vice. Virtue as opposed to vice ought to be publicly advertised, and vices kept as hidden as possible.

Plus, the secrecy of vice can only enhance the experience. E.g. if everyone was out in public having sexual intercourse 24/7 it seems logical that the act would lose most if not all of its allure/ enjoyment/ fulfillment.

Oh, whatever, I give up trying to reason with the general public when most of the public's own parents gave up on them from birth:cool: Not enough money or time in the world to retrain trees set in their ways.

Last edited:
I am sick and tired of hearing the citing of the exception to the general rule as a means to simultaneously disprove the general rule and feebly attempt to prove the nobility of luck.

Yeah, well, people win the lottery, too. Doesn't make the lottery winnings right/ solvent/ honorable/ decent/ profitable for a society in principle, either.

Sometimes the rare and lucky individual who jumps from an airplane and their parachute fails lives to tell about it. Go jump from an airplane without a parachute if you believe in the exception to the rule so much.

Etc, etc etc etc there is literally an innumerable numbers of examples to demonstrate how ludicrous this mindset is of subverting the general rules of life (correct principles) by overuse of the exception.

*specific to acid or other non-physically addictive hallucinogenics I personally see more of a concern with alcohol consumption. As well as the friendly physician or dentist who dispenses health care advice in clinic one minute and the next is out back on a smoke break.

Are you saying you think it's hypocritical of a physician/dentist to educate a patient on smoking cessation and then go out and smoke?

Or that you think it's stupid/gross/smelly/unprofessional/inappropriate to do that?

Are you saying you think it's hypocritical of a physician/dentist to educate a patient on smoking cessation and then go out and smoke?

Or that you think it's stupid/gross/smelly/unprofessional/inappropriate to do that?

All of the above. But like I stated in the post a few moments ago about vice, we all have them so at least in my example the physician/ dentist goes out back in deference to public shame. Seriously, not a bad alternative.

Oh, whatever, I give up trying to reason with the general public when most of the public's own parents gave up on them from birth:cool:

lol ok, sounds good bud. how's the view up there on your high horse btw?

lol ok, sounds good bud. how's the view up there on your high horse btw?

Quite...high.

:laugh:

So we should anonymously email schools and ask if they drug test
Is there any code that makes them have to answer this honestly?

I love how searching about drugs on this forum 5 years ago you see "OMG DRUGS ARE BAD YOU SHOULDNT BE A DOCTOR IF YOU DO THEM"
to... everyone being so "Oh I don't care"

I love how searching about drugs on this forum 5 years ago you see "OMG DRUGS ARE BAD YOU SHOULDNT BE A DOCTOR IF YOU DO THEM"
Back to the question. I haven't heard of any school that does drug testing at any point.

They have no reason to lie.... Besides, how hard is it to just ask an upperclassman at the school...

Roseman and OHSU do if you read in their student handbooks.
I do wonder if this isn't a "just in case" measure that covers them if they decide they would like to start testing matriculants. I don't think I received any information about a specific form or deadline...

I do wonder if this isn't a "just in case" measure that covers them if they decide they would like to start testing matriculants. I don't think I received any information about a specific form or deadline...

As a D1 at Roseman who hasn't heard anything about testing, I find this to be the most likely situation.

I remember reading it in my acceptance packet and online in their student handbook. I don't know how it plays out though since I'm not going there. :)