Dental School formula for acceptance?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ToothJockey

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
I've heard UNLV has one, but I can't find any information on any others.

I figure schools must have a way of numerically ranking applicants, so their selection is as objective as possible, right?

Members don't see this ad.

There may be numerics, but it still differs from each school and among each class/app cycle due to differences in each year through and through.

Some schools may be more numbers based than others but a lot of things factor into a decision: IS/OOS, gender/identity, extracurriculars, personality, etc. Even then, the interview screens out a lot of ppl. But there are specific things that each school likes in an applicant so if you have it it’ll increase your odds of getting in—and you will never know bc you generally do not know what ppl within the whole app pool will have or write on their apps that make them who they are.

Many times decisions can even be made based on what the adcoms feel for that year, so it can be very subjective.

Overall, you won’t know unless you’re on the committee or know ppl on the committee and you’ve worked for a few years to gain insight and experience.

But even with that info, each cycle changes and each cycle of apps will show differences from the previous ones. So essentially, if you want to guarantee high invite/acceptance each year you’ll need to know the current, up-to-date info on the applicant pool of the specific year you are applying to yield high success rate.

Unless you happened to cure a pandemic, cut ribbons/kiss babies, eradicate war and solve world peace.

Then maybe, just maybe, adcoms will fly to meet ya.
Lolol

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
I've heard UNLV has one, but I can't find any information on any others.

I figure schools must have a way of numerically ranking applicants, so their selection is as objective as possible, right?

Of course every school is different, but the closest I can think of to ranking/scoring in my experience were the interview score sheets at UC. Several categories w/ ranking 1-5. If there is a discrepancy of more than 2 points between 2 interviewers, they meet and find "common ground".

A friend who teaches at a school on the east coast reported their school having a formula into which GPA and DAT are plugged in, but that's more for interview selection than ranking for admissions.

As Chocopiezzz said, just do your best!

Reactions: 1 user