Dental school grade D1&2 and D3&4

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

TheClutch

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm pretty darn sure that I wanna be a GP, but since this application cycle surprised me quite a bit and I will be going to a school which I never imagined I would. So I just wanna keep my options open just in case and still work my ass off in dental school.

I know that usually D1 courses are sci classes. In D2, you take sim lab courses and some minor sci classes.
How do you get graded for sim lab stuffs? Or do you ever get graded at all (or is it pass and fail?)

And how does grading system work in D3 and D4?
Thanks a lot!

Members don't see this ad.

I'm pretty darn sure that I wanna be a GP, but since this application cycle surprised me quite a bit and I will be going to a school which I never imagined I would. So I just wanna keep my options open just in case and still work my ass off in dental school.

I know that usually D1 courses are sci classes. In D2, you take sim lab courses and some minor sci classes.
How do you get graded for sim lab stuffs? Or do you ever get graded at all (or is it pass and fail?)

And how does grading system work in D3 and D4?
Thanks a lot!

We had letter grades for D1 and D2 classes in dental school. Grades were given for sim lab exercises. Classes and clinic evaluations in D3 and D4 were grades with some pass/fails.

Each school is different in the way it evaluates students.

Hope this helps.

We had letter grades for D1 and D2 classes in dental school. Grades were given for sim lab exercises. Classes and clinic evaluations in D3 and D4 were grades with some pass/fails.

Each school is different in the way it evaluates students.

Hope this helps.

Same. Vast majority were letter grades with a sprinkling of P/F that no one failed

At NYU had had numeric grades for sim lab stuff. Some of it was 0-100, other things were graded on a 0-4 scale, but those translated to a percentage score anyway. Very little was P/F, IIRC.