Dental school in Canada

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

laffytaffy19

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm entertaining the idea of applying to Canadian Dental schools (from the states). Good idea or nah?

Members don't see this ad.

bad idea. average class gpa's over here are high 3.8 or 3.9+ in most dental schools and there are only 9 english schools in total where the largest school houses ~89 students. Plus most of them only accept canadian DAT and barely accept out of province students, let alone internationals. Im pretty sure they only allow 10% of their total class sizes to be given to out of province kids. Some schools like UBC haven't accepted anyone out of their province in like 2 years. Basically as an international you need a 4.0 and a canadian DAT to even be considered and even then i'd say your chances are slim to none since you're international :/

It's a different war game and i'd apply to ireland or australlia instead. Take it from me im a canadian and had to bust my butt to get one interview at the university of toronto

Last edited by a moderator:
bad idea. average class gpa's over here are high 3.8 or 3.9+ in most dental schools and there are only 9 english schools in total where the largest school houses ~89 students. Plus most of them only accept canadian DAT and barely accept out of province students, let alone internationals. Im pretty sure they only allow 10% of their total class sizes to be given to out of province kids. Some schools like UBC haven't accepted anyone out of their province in like 2 years. Basically as an international you need a 4.0 and a canadian DAT to even be considered and even then i'd say your chances are slim to none since you're international :/

It's a different war game and i'd apply to ireland or australlia instead. Take it from me im a canadian and had to bust my butt to get one interview at the university of toronto

Ahhh gotcha. Never expected it to be so complicated... So how is it in ireland or australia? Do you know?

Members don't see this ad :)
Adding on to what Zen0321 said. On top of that if you don't get into UofT, UBC, most of the schools are in small cities with nothing to do. It would be torture living there for 4 years in my opinion.

Adding on to what Zen0321 said. On top of that if you don't get into UofT, UBC, most of the schools are in small cities with nothing to do. It would be torture living there for 4 years in my opinion.

That's not entirely true. Of course when you're comparing the largest cities in Canada/NA it seems that way, but Mcgill(Montreal) uAlberta(Edmonton), aren't exactly small with nothing to do. That's aside from the main point though, as an american it doesn't make sense to apply to Canada imo. Chances probably higher at harvard.

i'd go to alberta anyday haha, banf is an amazing place to see

Ahhh gotcha. Never expected it to be so complicated... So how is it in ireland or australia? Do you know?
im not so sure how it is for americans, but canada accredits those two countries so you can come back after you write your boards in 4th year (canada doesnt have part 1 or 2 NBDE, they just have a 1 time boards exam you write before u graduate). so im not so sure if the u.s considers those two countries as a valid source of dental educaiton... you gotta read up on the ADA guidelines and see

That's not entirely true. Of course when you're comparing the largest cities in Canada/NA it seems that way, but Mcgill(Montreal) uAlberta(Edmonton), aren't exactly small with nothing to do. That's aside from the main point though, as an american it doesn't make sense to apply to Canada imo. Chances probably higher at harvard.
Depends what you're looking for. Some people may love living in those places.

No. You need a 4.0 GPA, amazing DAT, and amazing luck.

Reactions: 1 user
Lmao seems like I'm throwing this idea out the window then...

Lmao seems like I'm throwing this idea out the window then...
yeah, try staying in america. if not look for other countries/schools that are accredited in the states.

sorry for this sudden awakening but this is the world we are living in :/