Dental School in The UK

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ppflow

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello

This is my story. I came to the States from South America and graduated with a bachelors in science. I started w a 2.2 my freshman year but the last 2 years I worked really hard and raised my GPA to a 3.1. I have applied twice to dental school here in the states an both years I got interviewed but not accepted.

I am looking now at possibly attending dental school in the UK for a change, but I do not know the process over there. I have found couple threads and things online, but they have been insufficient. The grading scale is different and the courses description is different. I know I have to apply through UCAS but it says that the applications are closed.

How does this work ? When can I start applying. I know that some schools offer a year of pre dental. The terms in the applications and in general in the website are quite confusing and different than what we use here in the states. Could anyone please enlighten me and help me through this process ? I don't want to give up my dreams of going to dental school and I really want to go to the UK , but I feel stuck.

Thank you.

Members don't see this ad.

UCAS opens some time in fall for dentistry. Deadline is 15 October. For application you need high school grades (dentistry in Europe is undergraduate...), personal statement, UKCAT scores (UK clinical aptitude test - it tests your logical thinking mostly), letters of recommendation, IELTS or TOEFL (if university accepts - have to check with each one) scores. You submit everything online and in spring you get either of: unconditional offer (congrats), conditional offer (you have to come for an interview, take IELTS or smth), rejection. You can only apply up to 5 or 6 schools total.
Take in mind that this is extremely competitive. In high school you have to take AP levels or equivalent in chemistry, biology, maths and english and have no less than A grade (best grade that you get depending on your grading system). Don't know how it is in South America, but in Europe we take some sort of national graduation exams - top scores required again.
GPA of 3.1 would be on the lower end... 5 years ago, when I applied, most students had at least 3.8 (out of 4) or 9 (out of 10), but hopefully this is not a rule. Your undergraduate studies can help to improve things. You should email schools you're interested in and get more info. I think you would be better off applying for dentistry with foundation year (6yr program) to increase chances of acceptance.
But... is it worth it?
1) yes, if you don't get into US school
2) no, it costs a lot, you're not eligible for loan or grant
3) no, dentists in UK don't make millions

I suggest you try to apply to smaller EU countries that have dentistry programs (study in english and have intensive language course, later in school communicate with patients in their language). Most universities are just looking to make money out of foreigners so they accept many that would never qualify otherwise... And your license would be valid in all European Union.

Thank you very much. I appreciate it ;)