Dental School in USA

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

imdamian

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey! Here, I have a question about the steps of being a dentist in USA. Does anybody have any idea about this? Is it like:
1) pre-dental
2) dental school
3) residency program
4) fellowship
???
So, it's almost same with medschool in USA, right? Or perhaps, I'm wrong.
Therefore, I really hope you would explain and detail the programs - also the length of time it would take. Thanks a lot :)

Members don't see this ad.

it's just
1) pre-dental at an undergraduate institution- four years long. do extracurricular activites and volunteer service. shadows dentists. study study study. take the DAT. apply SUPER EARLY to multiple dental schools.
2) dental school - another four years long

residency is optional. unless you plan to practice in new york and then you need to do a one year residency.

it's just
1) pre-dental at an undergraduate institution- four years long. do extracurricular activites and volunteer service. shadows dentists. study study study. take the DAT. apply SUPER EARLY to multiple dental schools.
2) dental school - another four years long

residency is optional. unless you plan to practice in new york and then you need to do a one year residency.

You would also have to do a one year residency in Delaware as well and take the state's board exam. Maine may require that too (I think). Though residency is optional for general practice it is highly recommended, but a lot of people have differnt opinions about that :)

Members don't see this ad :)
Oh I see.
Is there any specialization program in Dentistry??? What's it like?

Oh I see.
Is there any specialization program in Dentistry??? What's it like?

Yes you can specialize. This is VERY competitive, depending on the specialty (all the "desired" ones are). Basically after dental school you do a residency (mostly unpaid, though some are paid, depending on which specialty).

Some programs have a 2 year residency, some 3, 4, the longest one is 6 years.