International dentist practicing in USA

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

DDS_Surgeon

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi, I'm an international dentist in Australia planning to come to attend an American School for furthering my studies after dental school (GPR or residency). I understand I need to have an ADA approved dental degree in order to be able to practice in USA + getting accepted into residency or GPR programs requiring an ADA degree. I have a two-part question, 1) Which Dental Standing Programs do you guys recommended? Private or Public schools? Etc. 2) After completing my Dental standing education, when applying for a residency do programs look both at my transcript from both school or only bt Advanced standing program? Thanks in advance!

Members don't see this ad.

Hi, I'm an international dentist in Australia planning to come to attend an American School for furthering my studies after dental school (GPR or residency). I understand I need to have an ADA approved dental degree in order to be able to practice in USA + getting accepted into residency or GPR programs requiring an ADA degree. I have a two-part question, 1) Which Dental Standing Programs do you guys recommended? Private or Public schools? Etc. 2) After completing my Dental standing education, when applying for a residency do programs look both at my transcript from both school or only bt Advanced standing program? Thanks in advance!

I believe some schools will accept international students into their residency program. You work under the school/hospital so you just need to apply for a limited license. This means you can not practice outside of the residency. After you are done with residency, you can practice in some states after taking boards (virgina I believe allows you to do this). You just have to look into it but in most states you can not get a license without having a Ada approved degree