Dental School Interview

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

SmileItsLife

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey Everyone!

I'm new to SDN, so please be nice (,and forgive any potentially ignorant things I will probably say about dentistry. I'm still learning.) I am currently a sophomore at my local state school (in VA), and I am trying to set my self up for a straight entrance from undergrad into dental school.

I've gotten most of the gist of what is expected of my down- BCMP GPA over 3.5, shadowing (~100 hours), volunteering (~200 hours), research (though I'm undecided on whether to do that since it doesn't interest me like other prereq actually do....), etc. Most of the stuff, I was already doing since I like doing them except the shadowing where I am having no luck with so far.

Anyways, I hear from these forums that basically the interview "make you/ break you" where everyone is on an even playing field. My question is: What can I do to best prepare for an interview? I've never had to interview for something before, and although I am an extrovert I don't know how well I would do in that type of situation. I know that this question may seem to come a bit too early (since I'm only a sophomore), but is there anything I can do to start preparing now?

Thanks for all the help in advance!

Members don't see this ad.

First of all, good luck on this journey. As someone who was in your shoes a few years ago to someone who will be entering the D1 class this Fall it is a wild ride for sure.

As for interviews, (for me personally) I didn't prepare for any interview. I mean sure I had an answer for "Why do you want to be a dentist" and "Why this school" but honestly I was never asked that at any of my interviews. I would just tell you to be yourself because that is honestly what schools are looking for. Let me know if you need anything else.

Sent from my iPad using SDN mobile

Reactions: 3 users
Honestly I wouldn't really worry about it right now. There are so many things that go into getting an interview, for right now I would just focus on making your application as strong as possible because if your application isn't strong you won't receive interviews. I would really try to hold leadership positions in different community service efforts, get a job in the dental field to rack up more hours, study like hell for the DAT. Then worry about preparing for interviews. But at my school I could go to the career center and they would set up mock interviews. If your school pre-health department does a committee letter then you will have an opportunity to be in an interview setting so they can get the information they need to compile the letter. Trust me I know you are eager to begin everything, as was I. But, enjoy where you are right now and don't think too much about the interviews. Just focus on making your application the best it can be. The interviews are all about showing who you are and if you put yourself out there and have a ton of different experiences throughout college it will help you to interview in my opinion. I participated in sorority recruitment at my school and I had to talk to so many girls that didn't want to talk to me and I had to keep the conversation going for at least 30 minutes. Never did I think participating in sorority recruitment would help be with interview skills but it does. You learn how to interact with people in difficult situations throughout all the work you put into making your application strong. So just keep doing what your doing and when you start collecting letters of rec then start preparing for interviews. If you have any questions or want advice PM me!

Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
My best interviews were the ones I didn't prepare for. I did better on my later interviews because I got used to the interview process and also because I felt zero pressure. The more you worry and stress the worst it will be.

Reactions: 1 users
Thanks! I think I'm getting a little ahead of myself. I just am so excited for dental school, and I love to plan everything and make lists.

ANYWAYS-Thank you for the helpful advice. I guess I was just so nervous since it is something I've never done/ had to do before.