Dental school scholarships

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

dentite24

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Generally speaking, for the average dental school of about 100 students, costing about $70,000 in total ($45,000 in tuition):

- How many full tuition scholarships are given out?
- How many half tuition scholarships are given out?
- How many scholarships are given out in total?
- Are there many institutional scholarships given out that are less than half tuition?
- What are the average GPA and DAT scores for the above types of scholarships?
- How much of does interview performance, financial need, and cultural background weigh on scholarships?
- Can you get a scholarship for having a family member already go through dental school?

Obviously this is hypothetical because this is so broad, but what are the general answers to these questions?

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Some schools do have partial scholarships, but usually they are schools with hefty price tags that only reduce the cost to about state-level cost of attendance. Some schools have special programs that may offer partial to full scholarships (e.g. I believe Columbia DDS/MPH track is reserved for one person to be given a full scholarship? Heard this after the fact, may not be true..)

My state school offers no scholarships at all. Zero. Some little $1000 "scholarships" here and there after first year, but that's a joke. Your only real bet is military, USPHS, National Health Service Corps (mainly loan-repayment) and state-supported loan-repayment options.

Unless you plan to do military or USPHS, don't bet on getting a scholarship.

I just got an Air Force scholarship, and I highly suggest it. I applied for the 4 year, didn't get it, so I applied again for the 3 year. Although it's mountains of paperwork, it is worth it. I will come out of dental school with about $70,000 in debt from my first year+interest so probably upwards of $90,000. After working in the Air Force for three years post grad, I will hopefully be able to pay my debt down and be debt free by age 30. Some people have no problem paying debt off quickly, but I would rather not feel the weight of debt for the next four years. Look into it! Air Force is a great lifestyle!