dental school vs. med school ?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

sunshinelover

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
So I had a conversation w. someone .And they were trying to tell me that dental school is more competitive than medical schools because there arent enough dental schools compared to medical schools.

I personally thought that dental school and med school were both almost on same level if looked on competitive scale.

just curious...what do u guys think? :)

Members don't see this ad.

...there are so many of these kinds of threads...and they always end with flaming wars...

so many variables...competitiveness varies a lot between schools as well. harvard dent vs "lower tier" med cannot be compared, obviously harvard dent is harder and harvard med is obviously harder to get in than many dental schools. acceptance rates are lower for dental applicants but these cannot be compared because they have different pool of applicants.

from GPA alone, AVERAGE to gain acceptance into med is a bit higher than dent but dent is rising at a much higher rate than med so who knows in a few years. also med seems to require/emphasize more volunteering and extra curricular activities than dent. ppl say MCAT is harder than DAT but that doesn't necessarily mean u'll score in higher percentile in DAT and in fact i've seen a lot of ppl who score higher in percentile on MCAT than DAT so it may depend on you as well.

let's just say they r both competitive and leave it at that!

thanks for your reply!

and yes! dats what i think too..i agree:)

Members don't see this ad :)
So I had a conversation w. someone .And they were trying to tell me that dental school is more competitive than medical schools because there arent enough dental schools compared to medical schools.

I personally thought that dental school and med school were both almost on same level if looked on competitive scale.

no matter what.. HANDS UP FOR MED SCHOOLS (Y) lol

i switched from premed a while back. I think that getting into an American, allopathic, medical school is a bit more difficult than dental school (the gap is narrowing however).... but getting into dental school is more difficult than an osteopathic medical school.

But if you're talking about just getting admission into a professional school, getting an MD is not very difficult at all because there are so many options besides USMD.

The most popular one includes the Caribbean. I believe there are around 20 Caribbean medical school and they basically give you admission in exchange for money. So many people with ridiculously low GPA and MCAT scores go there for med school, get their MD, and come back to America (only to be treated as FMG's).

I'm really glad we don't have any degree mills like that for dental school.

i switched from premed a while back. I think that getting into an American, allopathic, medical school is a bit more difficult than dental school (the gap is narrowing however).... but getting into dental school is more difficult than an osteopathic medical school.

But if you're talking about just getting admission into a professional school, getting an MD is not very difficult at all because there are so many options besides USMD.

The most popular one includes the Caribbean. I believe there are around 20 Caribbean medical school and they basically give you admission in exchange for money. So many people with ridiculously low GPA and MCAT scores go there for med school, get their MD, and come back to America (only to be treated as FMG's).

I'm really glad we don't have any degree mills like that for dental school.

I agree with this 100%. Although there are less spots, the competition is less amongst the students you are competing against if you are to compare dental school to U.S. allopathic med school. But the gap is narrowing quickly and I think it will even out pretty soon. I can't tell you how many of my pre-med friends had better GPAs, more research experience and >30 on the MCAT and didn't get into 1 U.S. med school, while I was accepted to multiple dental schools.

But compared to D.O. schools or Carribbean schools, then it's probably harder/more competitive.

And amen to not having Carribbean dental schools, or other avenues for that matter.