Med School vs Dental School

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.

hs2013

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
The title states it all. What are the pros and cons of each? Which would you say is harder?

Members don't see this ad.

I'd say the biggest difference between the two is the spelling.

Members don't see this ad :)
The title states it all. What are the pros and cons of each? Which would you say is harder?

Good question. It took me a while to decide between the two as well. There are several reasons why I chose dentistry over medicine. 1) With dentistry residency is optional, so I know what I am going to be doing in 4 years. If I went into medicine I might be aiming for dermatology or anesthesiology but get family practice. 2) You don't have to worry about accidentally killing someone as much. 3) Dentistry seems much more condusive for private practice, and I really want to be my own boss eventually. 4) Sane hours in dentistry. If my plan for going to dental school works out, I will be in private practice by the time I'm 30, debt free and making hopefully around 150k, working normal hours. No way I could do that with medicine.

trap.jpg

Med school is definitely harder...The competition among classmates is ridiculous! However, the first 2 years of dental and med school are pretty comparable...

Heeerrreee we go....

lol

I don't know why kids do this. If you want an answer... go out there and shadow both fields. Then you go and make a decision instead of basing it off of he said, she said, or even it said.

The difficulty is irrelevant anyway... if its something that you like to do and want to do, you will get your tooshie into gear regardless!

Although since the OP is asking about difficulty... probably trying to find the short cut through life. DRUM ROLL! The short cut through life is called hard work.

Med school is definitely harder...The competition among classmates is ridiculous! However, the first 2 years of dental and med school are pretty comparable...
says the newbie dental student who has been in class a week

Members don't see this ad :)
says the newbie dental student who has been in class a week

:laugh:

looking back, oh how naive i was...how embarrassing!

stupid med students convinced me that their curriculum & environment was harder, but i am finding it to be otherwise...

I think I saw a post by Armorshell awhile back that perfectly described whether med or dent school was harder. I'm not too positive if it was him that said it so dont quote me on this. But basically, dental school is harder in the first couple of years. This is because unlike med school, dent school has labs in addition to your biology classes. Med school only has biology classes during the first years, then they do their residency. So basically, dent school is harder because you have to cram in lab in addition to your biology classes, which is very time consuming. Med school might be considered harder overall. However, med school has more time to spread their curriculum because its at least 7 years.

I think I saw a post by Armorshell awhile back that perfectly described whether med or dent school was harder. I'm not too positive if it was him that said it so dont quote me on this. But basically, dental school is harder in the first couple of years. This is because unlike med school, dent school has labs in addition to your biology classes. Med school only has biology classes during the first years, then they do their residency. So basically, dent school is harder because you have to cram in lab in addition to your biology classes, which is very time consuming. Med school might be considered harder overall. However, med school has more time to spread their curriculum because its at least 7 years.

It also depends on which dental school you attend. My school has us doing lab work all 4 years in between patients or classes etc...so yeah, i'd probably have to fight that we have it harder than med students :).

armorshell went to UoP so he gets a free pass from me...just for the heck of it

Why do dent students (and pre-dents) ALWAYS try to make it seem like we have it harder than med students? I mean, for crying out loud, fine, LET THEM HAVE THE HARDER school, who the **** cares.... Everytime this topic opens up, your indirectly showing insecurity about choosing dentistry over medicine.

Last edited:
this topic has been discussed ad nauseum. If you're looking for an easy ride, neither route is for you. closing thread.

Status
Not open for further replies.