DEntal school with kids

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

amya

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I just took my DAT and am applying to dental school this coming summer. I have two young kids- 2 and 3 - and was wondering to hear from parents who are currently in school with kids (particularly moms) to see what their experiences have been. Ive always wanted a family with 2-3 kids and if i apply this summer for acceptance next year, i was contemplating getting pregnant by the summer to have my last kid before school starts (if i get accepted) in 2012. ITs kind of overwhelming me to thi nk i would have 3 kids in school, 2 havent been so stressful for some reason. I did all my pre-reqs and extra work with them and its been fine. Or atleast manageable. My husband is super supportive and if it wasnt for him the 3 months of DAT studying wouldve been impossible. Or anything for that matter. Anyway, just looking to get some advice. I relaly dont thi nk i will ever thi nk of having my last kid while in school. And I'll be almost 30 when i start so i REALLY dont want to be in my mid 30's to have the last one but if that's how it is, then thats how it is.
Any feedback is appreciated!

Members don't see this ad.

That is a great question! I am in a very similar situation. I too have a 2 and 3 year old. I am starting school this next fall. I am curious to hear how people have coped with it. My biggest fear has been the separation from my wife and kids. In consulting other dental friends, I have heard everything from it "won't be a problem" to "plan on living at school". Thanks in advance for any advice/help.

No help here but I'm sort of in the same boat. I decided later in life to become a dentist and I have a 2 and nearly 4 year old.
I will also have to quit my job and my husband is very supportive. Without him I couldn't even consider this.

I would love to stay in touch on here or on Facebook or something........we can kind of have our own support group:love:

Members don't see this ad :)
Oooh! Ooooh! ... I want to join!! :D I too am a non-traditional student with a hubby and a 3(going on 20)-year-old daughter. I feel very overwhelmed at the possible separation anxiety I might be facing come August, and was also hoping for some good advice regarding coping methods. Would love to get to know you all, as well. It would be wonderful to have a support group to vent to when all the 22 year olds look at us like we're crazy for turning down Boozefest invitations. LOL :laugh:

Oooh! Ooooh! ... I want to join!! :D I too am a non-traditional student with a hubby and a 3(going on 20)-year-old daughter. I feel very overwhelmed at the possible separation anxiety I might be facing come August, and was also hoping for some good advice regarding coping methods. Would love to get to know you all, as well. It would be wonderful to have a support group to vent to when all the 22 year olds look at us like we're crazy for turning down Boozefest invitations. LOL :laugh:

Cool.....Private message me with your info and we'll connect.

I'm on Facebook, not sure if you guys are, but maybe we can do it that way?

This might be something I can answer... I have 2 kidz and I am in the second semester of my first year... It really is not that bad. I definetly do not feel separation anxiety. I try to take a little bit of time (1/2 to 1 hr) each day to play with my kidz. I also take friday after school off and spend it with my wife and kidz doing things. With this I still have time for helping out with cooking meals or grocery shopping and going to the gym 2 times a week. I am definetly not the top in my class but am not at the bottom either:) If you are planning on specializing and want to be at the top you may have to sacrifice a little more family or gym time (unless you are just naturally that smart)... With that said there are plenty of people in my class and other classes that are married and have kids. Some of them are at the top of their class (So it is doable)!

I can't really say first hand - but there are 3 moms in my class, one of which had both of her 2 kids during dental school. They are all doing just fine.

Yeah, I don't have any kids either, but there are people in our class who are doing very well that have kids.

If anything, having outside commitments makes you more focused on managing your time well.

If having kids really were a problem, think of all the mormons that wouldn't be in dental school! :laugh:

But seriously half my class wouldn't be in dental school if kids were a problem.

My wife and I have two boys, ages 1 and 3. We're planning to have another before graduation next year. Two of my classmates (both male) have 4 kids. It's pretty crazy! But definitely doable. If your spouse is supportive, you'll be fine.

I too have two kids, a 3 and 5 year old. I have an extremely supportive husband but I often wonder if I'm making the right decision. This is something I've been preparing for and truly desire but I don't want to abandon my children, i've also heard anything from "it's very doable" to "yes, it's very tough on family". I'm hoping someone can give me some guidance on preparing for the application process. So far I've made the effort to work towards this goal while still spending time with my kids. This semester I will be finishing my pre-reqs (7 credits) and I'm also shadowing and spending time at a dental clinic. I plan on studying for the DAT in May and June and take the test in July. I'm doing it this way so that I can do well in both my classes and the DAT, did you guys try to prepare for the DAT while taking classes and extra curricular activities? How did you plan and prepare? I'm worried that I will have a weak app because I don't have the heavy workload that the full time young students have, do they take into account your life experience? Sorry guys, I know this is long but I would love to hear from you, especially if you identify with any of my concerns.

I too have two kids, a 3 and 5 year old. I have an extremely supportive husband but I often wonder if I'm making the right decision. This is something I've been preparing for and truly desire but I don't want to abandon my children, i've also heard anything from "it's very doable" to "yes, it's very tough on family". I'm hoping someone can give me some guidance on preparing for the application process. So far I've made the effort to work towards this goal while still spending time with my kids. This semester I will be finishing my pre-reqs (7 credits) and I'm also shadowing and spending time at a dental clinic. I plan on studying for the DAT in May and June and take the test in July. I'm doing it this way so that I can do well in both my classes and the DAT, did you guys try to prepare for the DAT while taking classes and extra curricular activities? How did you plan and prepare? I'm worried that I will have a weak app because I don't have the heavy workload that the full time young students have, do they take into account your life experience? Sorry guys, I know this is long but I would love to hear from you, especially if you identify with any of my concerns.

On the DAT board I asked a similar question as you.
Someone mentioned since your prereq's are still fresh in your head you may not need as much time as others.
I think my game plan is to study for the DAT as much as time allows and see how confident I am with practice tests before the end of my semester. I might take it mid June so I can get my application in.

On the DAT board I asked a similar question as you.
Someone mentioned since your prereq's are still fresh in your head you may not need as much time as others.
I think my game plan is to study for the DAT as much as time allows and see how confident I am with practice tests before the end of my semester. I might take it mid June so I can get my application in.

I planned on July or August until an advisor mentioned it would be better for me to wait until next year than to be a late applicant this year. I'm not sure if that would be a late application. Anyhow, thanks for the advice, I will begin to study and see how prepared I feel. Thanks again!