Dental Schools and W's on transcripts

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Agnathans

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey All,
I am currently in a masters program, and I have dental interviews. Point blank, my family is having medical issues back home, and I am concerned about whether or not I can handle the program and come out with solid grades, so I am considering leaving the program. My concern is how a dental school I am interviewing at/ other schools will view W's on a transcript, or if I leave if I even have to report that I was here and left. It is my third week of classes, and if I am going to get out, I would prefer to leave before my costs rack up any higher, and before any bad grades go through. Please let me know ASAP on this as I will be making a decision in the next few days.

Members don't see this ad.

That's a pretty tight spot you're in right now.
- Is the masters program relevant? (is it a pre-dental track type of masters?)
- I would talk to your school to see if you can take an "incomplete" instead of "withdrawl"
- How long do you think you'll be going back to your family?

It is a biomedical Masters MA program condensed into 9 months.
what is the difference between an incomplete and a withdraw?
and i would be gone long enough where i would fall behind too far to make up the ground here

Members don't see this ad :)
What were your undergrad stats and why did you go for the Master's program to begin with? If you drop the program now, you will probably kill your chances of acceptances this cycle. Have you talked to your family about dropping out and what are their feelings? Did you report that you were taking the classes on your applications?

I did not report that I was taking the masters on my applications

I did not report that I was taking the masters on my applications

I would talk to your family, see what they think. Again, why did you do the Master's program to begin with? If your UG stats were high enough to get you interviews, it seems like a waste of money to me. If you are still within the drop time, I'd do that. If you are past that, talk with the school and see what your options are. You might be able to get a medical withdrawal (not sure if that works for someone else being sick though) and then it won't show up as classes taken.