Dental Schools - Clinical Strength?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

newyorkblork

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys,

I just read the "Don't go to USC" thread, and it got me thinking. Does anyone have some info on what schools are regarded highly in terms of patient access, and that focus on creating "starting dentists" rather than just graduating students?

I would like to apply to schools that will let me get lots of hands-on practice and teach me how to run a business. Anyone have some insight?

Members don't see this ad.

I did a semi-dental program at UMDNJ last summer and I love it there. They are clinical based and they get many patients because they are in an urban community. Instead of trying get patients yourself to fulfill your requirements of the procedures that you need to do in order to graduate, the school sets you up with patients so you don't have to worry about not graduating on time.

My friend told me that the reason they didn't want to go to Tufts is because their clinical is on a first come first get basis for patients and you have to wake up at like 5am. I'm with you for the schools that actually can get a large amount of patients for the students.

Members don't see this ad :)
I was impressed with NYU's clinical. They have the largest patient base and you will pretty much see everything known to dentistry while there.

Thanks for the input, guys. Is there a place I could look this stuff up for myself? Some sort of ranking system? I'd really like to know about UIC and SIU, since those are my state schools, but I don't want to start new threads for every school I'm curious about :p

And every school's website talks about how they are located in a diverse patient base with a focus on proper initiation of their new dentists of whom they are unbelievably proud and loving, so that's not much help :\

OHSU gets you in the clinic first year. So far, so good here in Oregon!

Temple is definitely known for it's clinical strength! Since the school is located in such a poor area, patients are abundant

Feel free to correct me if I'm wrong, but I've always been under the impression that UOP's clinical is pretty strong, too. You get to do clinical by the end of your first year! (I think it's either third or fourth quarter?)

Check out VCU as well. Clinical experience here was a big deciding factor for me over Pitt and UKentucky. So far, it's been awesome.

University at Buffalo has about as much of a clinically based curriculum as you will find in U.S. Dental Schools. Every student has their own chair with no "lottery system" to get patients and no "first come first served" patient basis either. Check it out if you are serious about attending a school with an emphasis on clinic. Also, the price is much cheaper than a lot of other schools, in state resident or not.