What counts as clinical experience?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Reaction score
Hi, I am trying to find summer opportunities as a pre-dental student, and I am wondering what counts as "clinical" hours in order to be accepted to dental school. Would transporting patients in a hospital/ volunteering at a hospital count towards the clinical hours for dental school, or do I have to volunteer at a dental clinic?

Thank you for your time!

Members don't see this ad.

Mostly you should be focused on activities where dentists are working. You could volunteer for a community free clinic that has a dental service. You could see about working with ENT in a hospital but the bulk of your activities should be with dentists. Remote Area Medical and Mission of Mercy projects are my suggestions for clinical volunteering if there is a convenient summer opportunity.

Check with the schools you are interested in if they have leeway with other clinical experiences that are more "premed" oriented. I would think so but your work with dentists will vary more weight IMO.

You can check the SDN Activity Finder, but try to find activities that are oriented to dentistry.

Last edited:
Clinical hours for dental school typically refer to time spent working directly with patients in a dental setting. This can include volunteering at a dental clinic, working as a dental assistant, or shadowing a dentist. Some dental schools may also accept clinical hours that are earned in a medical setting such as a hospital, as long as the hours are related to patient care. For example, working as a patient transport volunteer in a hospital may not be considered directly related to clinical hours, but volunteering in the emergency department or assisting in a medical clinic may be considered as related to clinical hours. It's always a good idea to check with the specific dental schools you're interested in attending to find out what they consider to be acceptable clinical hours. They may have specific requirements or guidelines that you should follow. Additionally, you can always check with your pre-dental advisor or your dental school's admissions office for more information.