Dental to Med School

Started by Seeneband
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Seeneband

Junior Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
So I was going to UCLA Dental School, dropped out (not kicked out - i'm in good standing - just no interest in dentistry), and have decided to go to med school. Anybody got any good ideas for what I can say as to why I did this for people asking me (either interviewers or people writing letters of rec)? Thx.
 
Seeneband said:
So I was going to UCLA Dental School, dropped out (not kicked out - i'm in good standing - just no interest in dentistry), and have decided to go to med school. Anybody got any good ideas for what I can say as to why I did this for people asking me (either interviewers or people writing letters of rec)? Thx.


Just be honest about your decision to drop out of dental school. Explain to them why you changed your mind, and why you no longer have an interest in dentistry. Tell them what changed between the time you were applying and the time you entered dental school to when you dropped out. I am sure that the people who are you writing letters of recommendations for you are going to understand.
I would, however, try to shadow as many doctors as you can, and also, try to volunteer anywhere you get the chance while you are in the application process. I am sure that you have done volunteering before, but the most experiences that you can discuss at your interviews, the better (at least in my opinion). This way you will be prepared with plenty of personal experiences when they ask you "What makes you decide you want to be a doctor now, and how do you know you will not change your mind about medical school once you enter?". This way you will be prepared for anything that they may ask you. As long as you are honest and sincere, I don't think your interviewers will hold you dropping out of dental school against you. Good luck with the application process :luck:
 
DrKT2009 said:
Just be honest about your decision to drop out of dental school. Explain to them why you changed your mind, and why you no longer have an interest in dentistry. Tell them what changed between the time you were applying and the time you entered dental school to when you dropped out. I am sure that the people who are you writing letters of recommendations for you are going to understand.
I would, however, try to shadow as many doctors as you can, and also, try to volunteer anywhere you get the chance while you are in the application process. I am sure that you have done volunteering before, but the most experiences that you can discuss at your interviews, the better (at least in my opinion). This way you will be prepared with plenty of personal experiences when they ask you "What makes you decide you want to be a doctor now, and how do you know you will not change your mind about medical school once you enter?". This way you will be prepared for anything that they may ask you. As long as you are honest and sincere, I don't think your interviewers will hold you dropping out of dental school against you. Good luck with the application process :luck:

Oh I'm definitely doing that - I've already done 40 hours of shadowing in the last 5 weeks, I'm starting research at UCLA with a doctor that does neurotrama research (either 8 or 16 hours per week, depending on if he lets me come in on the weekends), and I just got a volunteer position at Harbor UCLA hospital in the emergency room 4 hours on Friday nights, every week, for the next 6 months. So I got that base covered for sure. I'm really just looking for someone who had the same experience and gave a "perfect" answer to interviewers/professors asking him why he changed. I personally did it because I realized that you really need to love dentistry to do it, because people may not like going to the doctor, but they hate the dentist. Furthermore, with dentistry, unless you cure someone's oral cancer, which I wouldn't be doing, you're not ever seen as a hero. But a surgeon, after seeing my cousin's husband do a bunch of surgeries and then talk to the patients afterwards, is really seen like a lower level God. But I don't want people to think I'm just going for the ego trip. It's just that as a dentist, sometimes, your work not only goes unnoticed, but unappreciated - I know it can happen with medicine as well, but definitely more with dentistry. So, yeah, I guess I need help either putting what I just said real nice so med schools and professors are like "thank God he dropped out and wants to join us" or get advice from someone who has said the perfect answer.
Thanks for the tips.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I think you know the answer to that question and could elaborate on it much better than any of us could.

Additionally, if I were the adcoms I would ask....

How do you know you won't lose interest in medical school/medicine just like you did in dental school/dentistry?

A candid and thoughtful answer should suffice.
 
Seeneband said:
But a surgeon, after seeing my cousin's husband do a bunch of surgeries and then talk to the patients afterwards, is really seen like a lower level God.

😕 😕 😕
 
Seeneband said:
But I don't want people to think I'm just going for the ego trip.

Well, it's probably best that you do mask your true feelings like you have above, as having an ego as large as yours will get you nowhere. So why did you really drop out of Dental School? You want to be a hero and save the world? If you need validation such as that, then I fear you will have problems in becoming a medical doctor.
 
Al-Qahhar said:
Well, it's probably best that you do mask your true feelings like you have above, as having an ego as large as yours will get you nowhere. So why did you really drop out of Dental School? You want to be a hero and save the world? If you need validation such as that, then I fear you will have problems in becoming a medical doctor.

I agree with this post. I don't think the OP knows what he is doing with his life yet. Given the facts that he is now volunteering at hospitals and doing researchs, he might find his true passion.

To the OP, the fact that you are asking around for that "perfect" answers so you can "lie" to the admission committee show how much you really care about medicine (or dentistry). Good luck with finding your true happiness and true self.
 
Seeneband said:
So I was going to UCLA Dental School, dropped out (not kicked out - i'm in good standing - just no interest in dentistry), and have decided to go to med school. Anybody got any good ideas for what I can say as to why I did this for people asking me (either interviewers or people writing letters of rec)? Thx.
I'm sure he's asking on how to phrase it to not sound bad. You people act like you're such angels when you're not. To the OP, I would say that your true calling is medicine and you want a more broad scope of practice as opposed to just teeth. I'm sure your explanation is perfectly acceptable, so long as you make SURE that you show them you have found your true calling in medicine (via volunteering as the above poster said). You're in good shape . 👍
 
Seeneband said:
I personally did it because I realized that you really need to love dentistry to do it, because people may not like going to the doctor, but they hate the dentist. Furthermore, with dentistry, unless you cure someone's oral cancer, which I wouldn't be doing, you're not ever seen as a hero. But a surgeon, after seeing my cousin's husband do a bunch of surgeries and then talk to the patients afterwards, is really seen like a lower level God. But I don't want people to think I'm just going for the ego trip. It's just that as a dentist, sometimes, your work not only goes unnoticed, but unappreciated - I know it can happen with medicine as well, but definitely more with dentistry.

Ha Ha Ha.... Bro... you are already cynical about the health profession and you don't even realize it! If you think the problems you explained about dentistry are not equally as bad as in medicine than you are in for a HUGE suprise! Be careful, do not let anyone know your true disillusionment with dentristry and its unappreciation/not being a hero... these are true of all health care fields!

Almost all physicians are overworked, underpaid, vastly underappreciated, and sued like no-other.... And to top it off, we sacrifice 7-10 yrs of our glory days (20's) slaving away studying when the rest of the world is partying up their youth. This gives you plenty of time to think about how "unappreciated" you are! I'm not saying medicine is not great, and that you would make a great doctor, but just letting you know that you're probably not going to find the answers to your insecuritites in medicine.

Let me guess, you probably want to be a surgeon--which is cool. But like most people who go in thinking it's a hero's role... it's not. It's slow, with long hours, very low pay, and you have no life (if you really want to be one that "save" lives--trauma, neuro). But really, if you don't save the life, someone else will.... so it's not like you're the vital person in the system.

You have got to do medicine because you really like it. I like it... in fact, I also often think to myself... damn, I'm actually getting PAID to do this ****... how cool! It's fun and easy once you're done with the scut... But if you just want "glory", and "pats on your back" then you'll be a lost dog in medicine.