Dental to Medical school?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

dentistdream

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys~
I just would like to know if I drop out of the dental school for some reason, and apply to a med school, then would I have an advantage or disadvantage as far as accepting to a med school?
I know some of you would say, "if you have any doubt that you will drop out of dental school, then you should think twice of becoming a dentist or just apply to a med school...."
But I am just asking this question for a piece of mind. I do want to be a dentist, but I am just asking out of curiosity...
Thanks for your info.....Bye~

Members don't see this ad.

dentistream,

I did just the opposite, dropped out of med school to go to dental (loooong story)....so far it hasn't hurt me in any way as far as getting interviews has been concerned. I obviously realize that it'll be an issue in interviews and have prepared myself to explain my reasoning.....

I'm just curious as to why you're already thinking about this? You shouldn't be entering dentistry unless you really plan to pursue it to completion....If you were asking me this same question as a dental student I'd be more comfortable giving you advice, b/c I'd know that you'd initially pursued dentistry wholeheartedly and were just now beginnig to have a change of heart. However, since you're showing a potential change of heart right of the bat, it makes me a little concerned.....it's a long road either way, so think hard about it before you commit to either....while I said I haven't been having probls., I still wouldn't recommend the path I've taken!

:cool:

Wow~ That's an interesting story, Waiting.
Well, I recently read somebody's message in this forum saying that his/her class started out with 107 and became 78 at the end of the 2nd year or something...... Which means, that 29 people dropped out for some reasons...29 is a big number, u know?

Also, in your case, you became a med student to a dental student. I believe it's "easier" to go to a dental school from a med school because med students USUALLY have better GPA, and so on....
But transfering from a dental school to a med school might be an another story, I think.

Well, thanks for your reply, Waiting....
Bye

Members don't see this ad :)
dentist dream i haven't read the post that you referred to above but as a dental student it is my experience that very few people drop out(maybe one or two with each class) most people get kicked out. most schools enroll with the expectation of kicking out a certian number of students. i have been told that some school kick the lowest ranking students out at the end of the first year to trim the class down to the desired size( just a rumor for now). i wouldn't look at those number as a reason to give up if you really want it and you apply yourself you will be just fine.

smilebright,

Simply put---schools kicking out the last person in class is ridiculous. Could you imagine the legal ramifications of that action? YIKES!! To add to the thread--- nearly 99% of professional schools want to retain the kids they selected---here is why:

All professional schools spend millions of $$ to recruit the brightest and the smartest. They spend countless hours sifting through 1000s of applications, conducting 100s of interviews, reviewing 1000s of personal statements---i think you get the picture---to find the select group of students who will be accepted. Now dentistry is no different than any other professional school in that, it is first an foremost a learning institute and business. Yup, a business. It relies on the almighty dollar----from guess who---- the students. Moreover, the gov./state/private
organizations also contribute to the cash flow of the school. (Oh and alumni) My first point is each school relies on tuition, oh and on preventing lawsuits!

Moving on to my second point. Every school turns in yearly numbers. How many enrolled, how many graduated ect... The last thing schools want to show is a high recidivism rate. Why? Well plain and simple they hate to admit mistakes. Oh and it raise many concerns internally. Most of the admission committees are made-up of trained, arrogant, DR.'s that have a certain criteria you need to pass in order to be accepted. It is a tedious process----one of which they take great pride in. They obviously want the best individuals to represent their school in society. If 20% of the people they selected are bombing guess where they are going to point fingers. Not only that--- a school is also judged on their ability to graduate those that started 4 year earlier. Can you imagine a new recruit asking what the retention of the first year class is and hearing 70%. That is not a good recruiting campaign. I agree many do drop-out. It is likely the admission committee make mistakes----but it is highly unlikely that they are going to kick anyone out! Except for criminal, cheating, ect... activities they will nearly bend over backwards to help "their" students. Grades are important and most schools will work with you on helping you maintain an adequate gpa-----if you are willing to take their advice. Do some not make the grade? You bet---but not before the school exhausts every possible avenue to help you. (AS long as you are looking for help)

Whether we care to admit it---- we are a dollar sign. We are someone they believe in. We are someone they have selected over 1000s of others. We are, in a way, their investment. They expect us to give back to society and more importantly to them. If nothing more than for believing in us.

R.R.B

Beautifully put! I completely agree.

DO MOST PATIENTS REALLY HATE THEIR DENTIST?
IS IT TRUE THAT DENTISTS HAVE A HIGH SUICIDE RATE? WHAT IS THE MEAN SALARY FOR A dmd?

Trouzr here are the answers to your dental questions:
1) yep, most patients can't stand their dentist----I mean you certainly don't like yours do ya?

2)Most studies on suicide rates are often conducted by the dentists themselves. The findings are secret but I hear they are of high caliber? WEIRD, huh.

3) Mean average of pay----is that a pun?

Surely you are more intelligent then what your questions lead me to believe. :eek: I realize you are a disgruntled nursing student but if you are this immature perhaps it is you that is the problem and not your professors at school. Or maybe you are a good representative of nursing students and their thought processes----I truly hope not. Good luck in nursing school, seems you may need it.

R.R.B :cool:

"All professional schools spend millions of $$ to recruit the brightest and the smartest."

Not all the brightest students attend professional schools. Many many many BRIGHT students get grad degrees in areas such as math, physics, psych, whatever.

Bright students don't go into any one particular field. They all have different interests.

Usually grad students in the mathematical fields would be very BRIGHT. After all, a person who has a really difficult time with undergrad math like calculus, generally would not pursue a grad program in math.

Originally posted by jules96734:
•"All professional schools spend millions of $$ to recruit the brightest and the smartest."

Not all the brightest students attend professional schools. Many many many BRIGHT students get grad degrees in areas such as math, physics, psych, whatever.•

Where did I say that only/all the brightest and smartest go to professional schools?

•Bright students don't go into any one particular field. They all have different interests.

Usually grad students in the mathematical fields would be very BRIGHT. After all, a person who has a really difficult time with undergrad math like calculus, generally would not pursue a grad program in math.•
Did you come to this conclusion all by yourself?

Jules,
I have to ask, "What on gods green earth is your point????" And your final paragraph is nothing short of *****ic!

I'm confident when you re-read my post you'll notice that in no-way-shape-or-form did I say "only the brightest and smartest go to professional schools." In fact you'll notice I said the...PROFESSIONAL SCHOOLS RECRUIT THE SMARTEST AND BRIGHTEST. And guess what, they do! That is their job.

Not to be too crass---but considering your post and especially your final paragraph, I'm forced to come to this conclusion: your ability to comprehend and/or demonstrate complex thinking is severly compromised- ;)-
so I'll simply excuse your post as "stupidly" funny and not a personal attack on me. :p

R.R.B :confused:

Originally posted by Dr.2b:
[qb]"All professional schools spend millions of $$ to recruit the brightest and the smartest."

Not all the brightest students attend professional schools. Many many many BRIGHT students get grad degrees in areas such as math, physics, psych, whatever.•

Where did I say that only/all the brightest and smartest go to professional schools?

•Bright students don't go into any one particular field. They all have different interests.

Usually grad students in the mathematical fields would be very BRIGHT. After all, a person who has a really difficult time with undergrad math like calculus, generally would not pursue a grad program in math.•
Did you come to this conclusion all by yourself?

Jules,
I have to ask, "What on gods green earth is your point????" And your final paragraph is nothing short of *****ic!

I'm confident when you re-read my post you'll notice that in no-way-shape-or-form did I say "only the brightest and smartest go to professional schools." In fact you'll notice I said the...PROFESSIONAL SCHOOLS RECRUIT THE SMARTEST AND BRIGHTEST. And guess what, they do! That is their job.

Not to be too crass---but considering your post and especially your final paragraph, I'm forced to come to this conclusion: your ability to comprehend and/or demonstrate complex thinking is severly compromised- ;)-
so I'll simply excuse your post as "stupidly" funny and not a personal attack on me. :p

R.R.B :confused:[/QB]

I am sure you don't think of my post as being funny. After all, you seem very upset. I must have pushed all of your buttons.

It looks like I hit a nerve. You ARE taking my post so seriously. If you weren't you wouldn't have written all of that.

Well, okay then...If everyone flunked calculus they would all get phd's in math. How is that? That is probably your logic.

I agree with different strokes.

Originally posted by different strokes.
"I was invited to a luncheon by a friend. At the lunch this friend of mine introduced me to a physcian. My friend told the doctor that I was a med student. After the doctor and I spoke for awhile, I was comfortable enough to say this to him:

I said, "medical school is the hardest endeavor that an individual could endure."

He looked upset and replied, "you know it is very arrogant of you to assume that medicine is the hardest field. I used to think like you. But, after seeing what my wife goes through in her oceanography program, I know never to make statements like that again. Hell, I can't even do the physics requirements to get into her program."

I said, "aayy this is hard work."

He stated, "You do not know what other programs are really like unless you were in them."

"I was shocked to hear all of this from him. But, I learned from what I was told!"

-different strokes.

I agree with the doctor in different strokes situation. I know Ph.d programs in the physical sciences are just as difficult too. At the begining you take courses, you teach, you do research, and study for comprehensive exams. If you pass these exams, you begin writing a juried dissertation while continuing to teach and conduct research. These programs are not only alot of work. But, conceptually very difficult.

Ms-2/electrochemist with doctorate

Members don't see this ad :)
Jules
you're a weirdo

jules,
By your limited number of posts and the fact you really have no idea what your talking about----all I can say is welcome to SDN and I truly hope this site will in some way enlighten you. If fact our new slogan should be "We replace ignorance with enlightenment." Welcome aboard.

R.R.B :cool:

Haven't you heard of people changing their usernames before.... Many people do that here.

People that have a void within themselves need to lash out at others to fill it. Go and seek some help from a mental health professional. You sound like a very hurt and angry person. You also lashed out at trouserz.

"He accuses us, we accuse him, how very hypocritical." Ralph Waldo Emerson

•I agree with the doctor in different strokes situation. I know Ph.d programs in the physical sciences are just as difficult too. At the begining you take courses, you teach, you do research, and study for comprehensive exams. If you pass these exams, you begin writing a juried dissertation while continuing to teach and conduct research. These programs are not only alot of work. But, conceptually very difficult.

Ms-2/electrochemist with doctorate•

Yes, this is exactly true. But, not only the physical science grad programs are hard. Even clinical psychology is alot of work. You have the additional duty of seeing patients on top of everything else.

Dr. jules,

With posts like yours------I, too, would change my user-name OFTEN!

You have an impressive resume. Ph.D and now in medical school. With that type of intelligence or maybe it is a lack of direction :) you should be able notice that trouserz is nothing but a flame-starter. Considering you've been around SDN you know what that is right!? They don't belong on Pre-dental or dental forums----the forums are here to aid those students who want to become dentists. PERIOD. You of all people should understand this concept. After all, you are well over 26 yrs. old and you should have the maturity if not ability to discern between what is a flame-starter and what isn't.

BTW--what exactly was your dissertation on--seriously, I'm interested.

R.R.B
:D

Jules,

Did you already change your user-name again :) ? Dang, I actually wanted to ask you about some of your other posts---seems I'm not the only one baffled by your lack of reading comprehension. Why is it nearly every forum you go into someone is asking you, "What the heck are you talking about?"

Maybe it is the Hawaii sun or something! Man, a Ph.D----I wonder what her disseration was on----possibly on the electronegativity of one's aura due to the placebo Ph.D effect.
:p
R.R.B

While chilling on a Friday, I took the time to look at some of Jules posts. I couldn't help but do this because I was curious to know what RRB was talking about.

IMHO, it seems like in some of his posts, he picks at statements in a paragraph that he finds upsetting and goes off in a tangent to discuss them. This however, does not mean that he doesn't understand what the posters have said or the focus of the thread. Even if he went off the topic at times, I think he only cared to address remarks that bothered him. Other than that I think some of his posts give good points.

Overall, I agree with what he said about physical science grad programs. I know they are just as tough. Many people have admitted this already. Also, I think he is accurate to say that there are many bright students whom have no interest in the medical field. I mean DOH, this is obvious.

Jules, just to be safe maybe you should just start a new thread for statements that upset you instead of "interupting" threads.

Anyway, both of you chill out and stop the fighting. I am sure you have better things to do than bicker....like study.

I'll never understand why people must get so serious and angry on message boards. A chat room or a message board should not be taken so seriously. These are not real relationships.

Whoops, I am now getting to serious.

Chow

:D ;) :cool:

different strokes,

Like you, I simply look at SDN when I have the time. Surely, you understand what the forums are set-up to do-----Jules, as you can see (by the previous posts) isn't exactly participating in threads. You say that some bright students have no interest in medicine and that other graduate programs are difficult----I agree. My problem is---- NO ONE ON THIS thread ever said anything to the CONTRARY. My only reaction is what the heck are you talking about. I don't mind if you pick one area of a post and go off on a tangent----but when a post has no relevance to any part, its simply rude. I say, if you want to start your own topic for a thread or actually a flame----go ahead---just don't do it here.

You must admit----Jules is rather suspect. Electochemist Ph.D and now in 2nd yr. of medicine. It just doesn't add up. Is it plausible---yes. Is it likely NO.

R.R.B

Hey, Jules here!!

If you must know my dissertation was done on x-ray crystallography.

Maybe you are just a person who has never been to college. Maybe you know what you know from just reading and talking to people. The truth is that we don't really know anyone on these forums.

You know berating others is just a sign of insecurity. It serves its function by filling a void within oneself.

Also, it is very strange that you would do all of these things: you read all my posts, you mention where I live in one of your posts, you try to get my attention by posting to me several times, and you seem to have an obsessive need to lash out at me. All of this just shows me that you need help from a competent mental health professional.

I will not continue this argument because I will just be enabling you. I would be feeding into your unhealthy behavior.

Hi Jules,

Simply "smoking-out" a fraud. It's funny what people will do and say when directly confronted. You've been a joy to converse with, even though you beat to your own drum. Remember that if you hate mathematics you most likely won't get a Ph.D in mathematics!

lol
R.R.B

Are you guys still at it?! Jesus Christ, you both are beginning to sound incoherent. Go do something else.

Nice job Dr. 2b :D

Dr.2B,

I am sitting here laughing at you while I am enjoying my PBL program here in Hawaii at John A. Burns school of medicine. Oh and I forgot to tell you that last year during orientation at my white coat ceremony, I got referred to as doctor because of my phd. So, I don't feel confronted by you because I don't need to be jealous like you do. Let's face it: you just can't handle the fact that I have what you want.

Simseema, I bet you are a high school kid who hasn't even taken general chem yet.

I know I said I wouldn't write anymore. But, I couldn't help myself. DR2B, with your arrogance you are going to have a hard time in med school. That is IF you ever make it in.

Just to be sarcastic...By the way, this first aid book designed for the usmle exam is very helpful. Doesn't this straying away from the topic get you angry.

:mad: :mad: :mad:

Originally posted by forever autumn:
•Dr.2B,

I know I said I wouldn't write anymore. But, I couldn't help myself. DR2B, with your arrogance you are going to have a hard time in med school. That is IF you ever make it in.

Jules,
Hi. You are like "old-faithful." I can always rely on you to say something that will cause me to scratch my head. But hey, at least you are consistent! :rolleyes:

This unfortunately will be my last post on this thread-----can't keep correcting you. My last post can only end the same way my first post began: WHAT on earth are you talking about? You are wondering how I'll ever make it into med. school. :confused: DID you not see that forum we are in??lol :rolleyes: Let me guess you assumed I was wanting to go to med. school, and therefore thought it beneficial to hang out in the pre-dental/dental forums? GEEEEZ, start paying attention, you're missing a wonderful life. In the industry you are looking to be in-----Assuming is not a positive characteristic. I wish you lots of luck---seems you may need it.

Voice of reason (a bit arrogant---possibly)
R.R.B

A 5 yrs. old girl tells her 6 yrs. old brother, in 2 yrs. I'll be older than you.

What can you do but sit back and smile!
:D

Can Jules find another forum to harrass? Obviously with all he has going, he must be busy enough that he doesn't have to bug the poor predents that read posts here. If he has an amazing insight on Dental school perhaps I would be happy to read it, but for now I'm sick of hearing about his degrees and his obvious pleas for attention. :(

Can't we talk about our exciting futures staring into the mouths of others and improving the oral health of the masses or the weather or anything! :D

good job Jules. You've obviously done your research on the forum to find out I'm a high school kid...you idiot. If you're gonna try and put someone down, at least get the facts straight.

PS why do you keep getting a new username? WEIRDO.

Originally posted by simseema17:
•good job Jules. You've obviously done your research on the forum to find out I'm a high school kid...you idiot. If you're gonna try and put someone down, at least get the facts straight.

PS why do you keep getting a new username? WEIRDO.•

I remember your posts. You mentioned that this will be your second time trying for dental school. At least that is what you told everyone. Maybe it is really your fifth.

I was just being sarcastic about the high school thing. I figured you would be able to pick that up. But, I guess I was wrong.

Also, I don't always change my username. I have been perusing this board for almost two years and this is my third username. I never said I always change it. You must read and not just assume.

Anyway, if you think I am so weird why do you acknowledge me, huh?

"He accuses us, we accuse him, how very hypocritical."