Science Teacher to Pre-Dental

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

SMP then dental or Caribbean MD

• SMP/Dental

Votes: 2 66.7%
  • Caribbean MD

Votes: 1 33.3%

• Total voters

Wannabe_successful

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
It was once my goal to become a doctor while completing my undergraduate studies, but then I deterred away from it due to financial issues. Moreover my GPA is trash: 3.02 overall; 2.1-2.3ish science (I can’t remember, but it is in that range). I am presently completing a MBA in Finance (I thought I would like the field until I could not get an internship and when I networked with people in more metropolitan areas, I’m from NC by the way, they told me to loose my southern accent before they offered me legitimate guidance towards obtaining an internship). That experience made me realize that I did not want to become a Financial Analyst. I was only doing it because people on this forum and healthcare professionals advise individuals to pursue other things due to their numbers and etc., but those people often end up misreable. I have a 4.0 in my MBA-Finance program, but it may change due to me loosing interests in completing my homework lately, but I regained interest in becoming doctor once I started teaching science. What drew me towards dentistry is the fact that I was intrigued with having four teeth pulled while having braces during high school - it positively impacted my life. Back then I had no ambitions, not even to attend college. I wanted to go to the military and had a 2.2 gpa. Nevertheless, writing a good personal statement is not an issue for me, and I purchased a DAT study book and truly believe I have the amptitude to perform well on the DAT. I failed the ASVAB in high school and retook it after some studying and scored 30pts higher. I know I can do well on the DAT because I have way better study habits than I had the last time I took a legitimate standardized test. My question for you guys is do you believe I am better of completing a SMP somewhere like Charles Drew’s Master’s in Biomedical Sciences and attempting to get into dental school afterwards, or go to a Caribbean medical school so that I will have a new platform (performing well in the basic sciences and getting a high USMLE) to focus on building vs repairing one...I’d be equal as happy matching IM and becoming a cardiologis. Dentistry seems more attainable to me with less risks...just takes more time to potentially qualify

Members don't see this ad.

You can’t do anything right now, neither doctor nor dentist. You need to get your science GPA up to at least 3.0 and absolutely crush the DAT to have any kind of shot. You also have a lot of explaining to do in your personal statement, since you went from science teacher to an MBA in finance to dentistry. That looks like someone who cannot commit to a field and they would be concerned you would jump ship again.

You can’t do anything right now, neither doctor nor dentist. You need to get your science GPA up to at least 3.0 and absolutely crush the DAT to have any kind of shot. You also have a lot of explaining to do in your personal statement, since you went from science teacher to an MBA in finance to dentistry. That looks like someone who cannot commit to a field and they would be concerned you would jump ship again.
I payed to retake some prerequisites online at UNE, & the main reason my gpa suffered in undergrad is because I had a child before I decided to go to college. The mother filed child support on me and the laws required me to have a full time job, which I couldn’t balance as a first generation college student and no car in the south with poor public transit. Moreover, the judge required me to to obtain 20 signatures from the managers of potential employers to show proof that I sought full time employment. I had to do that like a couple times to avoid going to jail for not having a full time job...I made payments with my refund from school....so ultimately I went around to a lot of places trying to get a job/a paper signed and everyone I saw didn’t sign it...dealing with all that, getting evicted, and getting food from the Salvation Army is what I had to make it through to earn my B.A....that’s a synopsis

Members don't see this ad :)
I payed to retake some prerequisites online at UNE, & the main reason my gpa suffered in undergrad is because I had a child before I decided to go to college. The mother filed child support on me and the laws required me to have a full time job, which I couldn’t balance as a first generation college student and no car in the south with poor public transit. Moreover, the judge required me to to obtain 20 signatures from the managers of potential employers to show proof that I sought full time employment. I had to do that like a couple times to avoid going to jail for not having a full time job...I made payments with my refund from school....so ultimately I went around to a lot of places trying to get a job/a paper signed and everyone I saw didn’t sign it...dealing with all that, getting evicted, and getting food from the Salvation Army is what I had to make it through to earn my B.A....that’s a synopsis
I didn’t jump around for fun. I jumped around because I did what I could to make more money to be in position to afford attending professional school. I exhausted all of my undergrad financial aid, and SMP’s require prerequisites....more financial aid requires good credit...I never had a strong support system...so that’s why I’ve been doing what i can to steadily rise socioeconomically and be able to attend professional school

I’m sorry you went through that, and it is definitely a unique story. But unfortunately, your application will go in the trash before anyone will even read your personal statement UNTIL you can get your gpa up and score well on the DAT. It’s a long road, but doable. Good luck!

I understand. I’ll follow up w/ SDN after I retake/take a couple more science class and the DAT.