Dental Work or Masters Program

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

KYDent

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am stuck and not sure which route to take. .

I have applied to 5 schools this cycle, interviewed at 2 and was denied from 1. I am still waiting to hear back from the remaining. I have began to look into doing a masters program in either public health or biomedical sciences in the case that I am not accepted to any of the schools and then reapplying next cycle.

However, recently I have accepted a job at a dental office. I am doing a little bit of everything, from front desk work, cleaning operatories, and even assisting in any way. With this new job I am unsure if I should remain here for the remainder of this year and next year (currently in a gap year, so this would be my second gap year) or go back to school and do a masters program. If anyone has done this or has any advice, that would be greatly appreciated!

My stats are as follows: DAT AA 21 / PA 21 / QR 20 / RC 21 / TS 22; oGPA 3.50 / sGPA 3.58; 100+ hours of observation & was a D-1 student-athlete during UG

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
Your GPA and DAT scores are fine. I think there might be a problem with other areas of your application or your interviews. Don't apply for a Master's program as it would be a gamble for you: sink your GPA or barely have an effect on your GPA and only put you in further debt.
Echoing this. I did a Master's and while I don't regret it, I think I could have done just as well without it. Focus on the other factors in your application. Also don't give up hope for this cycle yet. Many people are still yet to be accepted!

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Bump. Talked with my dentist and she firmly believes I go do a masters degree over working another year

I graduated and didn’t do a masters. I worked at a dental office and I have been for about 1.5 years. I got in this year with a not great GPA and a 20 DAT. I didn’t change anything from last cycle to this cycle except adding my dental assisting job and having the two doctors I work for write LORs. I think you need to apply to more schools and I wouldn’t waste the money on a masters honestly, but it’s your choice. I think working in a dental office really helped me in interviews because I literally know the ins and outs of an office and brought up a lot of different scenarios from working there.

Reactions: 1 users