dentist LOR question

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

pbure

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm wondering if anyone has ever had any experience using a letter of recommendation from a dentist that is a faculty member at the school that they are applying to? I am wondering if this tends to carry more weight or significantly increase someones chances of acceptance if a professor from the school in question vouches for the applicant. I will hopefully be getting one from a professor at BU through a contact. Only thing is I will have to go there to meet him and shadow him of course for a little while (i live in montreal btw). Would it be worth my time? I already have 3 letters from science professors and one from a different dentist.

only 3 more posts till 50! wow did that go fast! :) Yesh!

Members don't see this ad.

Well, I think it will all depends of the quality of the LOR. If this dentist is going to write a brief one paragraph letter about your general character then I don't think it will provide the same influence as a school professor who really knows you and is able to go into greater detail of your not only your abilities, but your personality and attributes as well.

Having said that, an extra LOR is not going to hinder you either, so you might as well get it, but I highly doubt that they will put more consideration just because it is from a professor of the school.

Yes, i am using a letter from a faculty member at a particular school. This definately carries a lot of weight (from what students tell me), especially if the letter is well written (of course). goodluck pbure!

I used a letter from a practicing dentist that was also one of my teachers. I don't know what letterhead he used, although my advisor said that because of his dual position (someone that can speak from an academic as well as clinical standpoint) that his letter would be 'invaluable.' I would say that the investment of a few hours of shadowing and becoming familiar with this particular dentist would be well worth the effort. I stated on another thread a while ago that there is only so much an adcom can glean from an application and that they, like most professional programs, rely on LOR's to provide little vignettes into the character, personal habits, work ethic, and likelyhood of success of a candidate. That is why the letter from this dentist is worth it.