Dentistry and appearance

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Kremlar

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey all, I was just wondering... Why do some schools require a 2x2 photo of the applicant...?? Ever wonder if they discriminate against applicants because of looks?? Like, this girls qualified, but DAMN is she ugly.. and then reject her for an interview.... I mean I know thats against the law and falls under the same category as like not accepting someone for race or handicap.. Just curious what everyone else thinks...

Members don't see this ad.

I have a close friend in dental school and she says that most of the people in her class, as well as the others above and below hers, are good-looking. She made a similar remark on the possibility of discrimination based on looks. This isn't a perfectly ethical world, so I'm not surprised.

Kremlar said:
Hey all, I was just wondering... Why do some schools require a 2x2 photo of the applicant...?? Ever wonder if they discriminate against applicants because of looks?? Like, this girls qualified, but DAMN is she ugly.. and then reject her for an interview.... I mean I know thats against the law and falls under the same category as like not accepting someone for race or handicap.. Just curious what everyone else thinks...

When I went to a UCSF conference, Dr. Bradshaw (student relations) said it was for identification purposes during an interview...and for the interviewers to remember who you were by looking at the picture if/when you're put on a waitlist and they have to refer back to you later.

i'm not sure if that's entirely true. but that's one answer i heard.

Members don't see this ad :)
I do know this, most of the students at Houston are attractive. I'm not saying they are all supermodel attractive, but there were more than a fair share of female dental students I wouldn't kick out of my bed for eating crackers if you catch my drift. I also didn't see many overweight students at all. Whether discrimination occurs I don't know.

etan4 said:
I have a close friend in dental school and she says that most of the people in her class, as well as the others above and below hers, are good-looking. She made a similar remark on the possibility of discrimination based on looks. This isn't a perfectly ethical world, so I'm not surprised.

Ahhh damn I am so not going to get in anywhere if that is the case!!!! :eek: :eek: :laugh: :laugh:

Hey, how about giving them "the picture" after your interview? Why before? Hum......makes me wonder.

I'm cute, so I'll be Ok....just kidding.... :rolleyes:

Dental Mom said:
Hey, how about giving them "the picture" after your interview? Why before? Hum......makes me wonder.

I'm cute, so I'll be Ok....just kidding.... :rolleyes:

Right, thats a good point, why dont they ask for pictures after the interview then? Not that im worried about it, cause I dont have a problem in the looks department, I just found that strange. Its like, you have to have good grades, do well on the DAT, follow directions and deal with AADSAS so where does a picture of me fall into this... other than having to be attractive to boot... I can see what your saying about them using the picture for reference later on, but if you make enough of an impression on them where they would even remember who you were from your face from the pictures and thousands of applicants they get, then chances are you'd get accepted in the first place.. Wonder what else they discriminate on..??

Kremlar said:
Right, thats a good point, why dont they ask for pictures after the interview then? Not that im worried about it, cause I dont have a problem in the looks department, I just found that strange. Its like, you have to have good grades, do well on the DAT, follow directions and deal with AADSAS so where does a picture of me fall into this... other than having to be attractive to boot... I can see what your saying about them using the picture for reference later on, but if you make enough of an impression on them where they would even remember who you were from your face from the pictures and thousands of applicants they get, then chances are you'd get accepted in the first place.. Wonder what else they discriminate on..??

hey my looks got me in and i am proud of it.. just kidding.. it sure was expensive to get those damn pictures

rocknightmare said:
hey my looks got me in and i am proud of it.. just kidding.. it sure was expensive to get those damn pictures

Really? Arent the pictures like4-5 bux?

Besides, everybody knows dental students are hot. All the nerds, dorks, and geeks are anal premeds.

Reactions: 1 user
Also, are we supposed to have straight teeth and super white smile? :confused:

I'm working on it just in case :laugh:

The photos are meant to simply place a face to a name. I highly doubt that any adcom makes admission decisions based on a 'beauty quotient': beauty is of course subjective, and along those lines, there are some people in my class that maybe would have a chance in a contest. But they are out-numbered by the mass of average looking bodies. Do adcoms want bleached white teeth and perfect smiles? No, but brushing prior to an interview will only improve your chances. ;)

Perhaps it's also a safety check, so that when they're looking over an applicant's info during, or just prior to, an interview, they know that they have the correct file when you sit down and match the pic. Eh?

Members don't see this ad :)
I think that for better or for worse, everything in this world has something to do with how you look/present yourself. One time I ended up with a super-sized combo meal from Subway when all I really planned on eating was a 6" cold cut combo...the cashier...she was hot...and I wasn't thinking straight. So what if I was a hormone-crazed 17 year-old? adcoms are just normal people too, and I'm sure more than one pretty face has gotten into dental school because of something other than her CV.

Arnhem%20283sml.jpg

That's me..and I got in :D

may i first say that anything you read after this is an uneducated persons opinion. "they" say you can't judge a book by it's cover. i don't completely agree. i think dental schools look for people that they can picture being a dentist and dentests all have somewhat of the same look. Truck drivers are also easy to pick out of a crowd. i think you can tell alot about a person by their countinence. of course one would still have to score well on the DAT and have a good gpa to even be looked at. then i believe the interview lets them get to know the personality. If two people had very simular applications do you think the admissions office would lose any sleep for picking the one that more LOOKED the part. years ago i saw something on 20/20 about attractive people getting jobs over those that are better qualified. they had the same person apply for a job, one time not what we would consider dressed to impress, but highly qualified. the next time the same person went in madeover well but with less credentials. to nobodys suprise the better looking ones got the job. oh and by the way Case Western did ask me to bring a 2x2 photo with me to the interview to be able to refer back to while making final decisions.

4-5 bucks per picture for 8-12 schools adds up

i heard somewhere that dental schools had to start getting pictures because a few applicants had a "pinch interviewee", they had one of their more charismatic friends go in for the interview so they could hit it off with the interviewer; then they would get in and show up on the first day.

elderjam said:
i heard somewhere that dental schools had to start getting pictures because a few applicants had a "pinch interviewee", they had one of their more charismatic friends go in for the interview so they could hit it off with the interviewer; then they would get in and show up on the first day.
you gotta be kiddin, hrm i guess they never really check my driving license did they ?? lol

elderjam said:

1. I think you can still do this providing you send your friend's pic from the begining. no one checks those pics against your ID the first day of dental school

2. not every school requires a pic

3. some schools (i.e: IU) take their own pic on the interview day

Well, let's put it this way... :idea:

If you can get accepted in this web site, then you should have no problem getting admited to dental school :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

(I saw this on CNN) :( www.beautifulpeople.net

I'm kidding guys. Let's all keep up the good work! :)

This may sound like a silly question, but I'm getting my hair cut like 5-6 inches this week and I had photos taken 2 months ago. I'll have long hair in my photos...do you think it would make a difference? Is it worth getting new photos taken?

Mayo123 said:
This may sound like a silly question, but I'm getting my hair cut like 5-6 inches this week and I had photos taken 2 months ago. I'll have long hair in my photos...do you think it would make a difference? Is it worth getting new photos taken?

Do you have like a massive curly long hair (I do :p ) is it a huge change? Did you die your hair? Some people cut their hair and yet they look the same & their face look the same...but if people are telling that you look totally different, and if you still have time then go get new pics. Just my 2 cents....

kurt10 said:
may i first say that anything you read after this is an uneducated persons opinion. "they" say you can't judge a book by it's cover. i don't completely agree. i think dental schools look for people that they can picture being a dentist and dentests all have somewhat of the same look. Truck drivers are also easy to pick out of a crowd. i think you can tell alot about a person by their countinence. of course one would still have to score well on the DAT and have a good gpa to even be looked at. then i believe the interview lets them get to know the personality. If two people had very simular applications do you think the admissions office would lose any sleep for picking the one that more LOOKED the part. years ago i saw something on 20/20 about attractive people getting jobs over those that are better qualified. they had the same person apply for a job, one time not what we would consider dressed to impress, but highly qualified. the next time the same person went in madeover well but with less credentials. to nobodys suprise the better looking ones got the job. oh and by the way Case Western did ask me to bring a 2x2 photo with me to the interview to be able to refer back to while making final decisions.

I completley agree, I think the saying should read, "You shouldnt judge a book by it's cover"... If you wanna be fair.. But we ALL judge by covers, EVERY DAY... Look at the cars we drive.. the relationships we choose.. etc... all based on appearance.. As for the person not getting the job because of appearance.. I agree with that too.. You have to look the part as well as play the part.. I don't care how qualified someone is, if they come in to an interview looking like a slob, Im not hiring them. I'll take the less qualified applicant. Businesses have an image to maintain too..
HAHA "Pinch Interviewee" ... NOW INTERVIEWING for #19... #23... Don Mattingly... Seriously, why dont they just ID people... like they do on the DAT... I could send in a picture of anyone... They really make this whole process a lot harder (and more expensive) than it has to be.. I understand they want to weed out... but there is a point where it goes too far..

rocknightmare said:

It's called "Kodak Picture Maker." Available at CVS, Rite Aid, Walgreens, etc. The most it charges is like $10 for a sheet of 16 ID sized pictures. And you can usually find a sale so it is less than $10/sheet. Some of the Kodak Picture Makers that print the 4x6 digital pictures also make ID pictures with 6 IDs on a 4x6 sheet. They charged me the price for a 4x6 picture - $0.29 - for a sheet of 6 ID pics, a bargain. Still way less than 4 - 5 bucks per picture. All you need is someone to take a digital picture of you and give you the file on a CD or give you the digital media card itself. You can crop & edit the pictures on the Kodak machine itself at the store. The editing on the Picture Maker did wonders for my ID pic, especially since some of the programs I am applying for request the ID picture be put smack at the upper right corner of the first page, so it is the first thing they see.

Slash said:
I do know this, most of the students at Houston are attractive. I'm not saying they are all supermodel attractive, but there were more than a fair share of female dental students I wouldn't kick out of my bed for eating crackers if you catch my drift. I also didn't see many overweight students at all. Whether discrimination occurs I don't know.

premed/predental students are more neurotic/perfectionists than your average joe. therefore, they also care about their appearances more (aka, they will visit the gym more often). you don't see too many chubby med/dental students around, period. because at the same time that they cram books into their heads, they also work their butts off in the gyms (in comparison to the avg. student).

some schools also ask for the picture b/c they actually use it to make IDs for you later on.

vandy_yankee said:
premed/predental students are more neurotic/perfectionists than your average joe. therefore, they also care about their appearances more (aka, they will visit the gym more often). you don't see too many chubby med/dental students around, period. because at the same time that they cram books into their heads, they also work their butts off in the gyms (in comparison to the avg. student).

Very true, Professional Schools all look for well-rounded students.

Looks shouldn't matter. Who cares if you "look" the part? Plus what are the patients going to do while they're sitting there, admire your face?

Suppose someone (God forbid) got into an accident and his face had to be operated on to fix damages...that accident itself would put him at a disadvantage just because some hot guy came along to take his spot even though the injured guy may have been more intelligent. Of course no one is going to send in a picture where they're looking like unkempt slobs, so it just boils down to luck - which sperm got there the quickest.

We DO judge, but being comfortable with this fact and blaming it on our nature does not mean we shouldn't strive to look deeper and beyond the "cover." You may argue that interviews ARE for looking deeper, so then why the pictures?

i have alot of pictures but what picture are they looking for? does it have to be like a passport picture? or can it be an everyday picture???

i have alot of pictures but what picture are they looking for? does it have to be like a passport picture? or can it be an everyday picture???

You want it to look professional. "Passport-style." From the neck up. Don't be wearing some ratty t-shirt. Fix your hair. :)

Oh no... I wore a gray rat colored t-shirt for mine...
You want it to look professional. "Passport-style." From the neck up. Don't be wearing some ratty t-shirt. Fix your hair. :)
ok thanks!! so far only one school asked for a picture but should i get multiple copies incase the schools im applying to want a picture as a secondary application or something????

Do we smile??? I took one smiling and one not smiling.. I think I'm sending each school one of each lol....

Okay, I don't think i'll send 2 photos then, I'll send one with a small smile. haha

i smiled in mine and wore a t shirt because i wanted to look like i could be a fun bro. my application would make me seem like a nerd so i wanted my 2x2 picture to say "hey man, i'm fun, I'm hip, I'm chill"

SMu9qY9.gif

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 users
why aren't you people smiling? i know if you go to CVS or wherever you get your 2x2 photo taken that the person at the counter is going to assume your 2x2 photo is for a passport and they're going to tell you not to smile because you're not allowed to on passports. don't listen to them. tell them it's not for a passport. Please smile!

smile but not if you have missing teeth!!! lol just kidding

i took the photos with my iphone, bring them to cvs to print 4x6, cut to 2x2 and submit those. I wore white T shirts, my hair wasn't perfect. hey were fine, i got accepted.